Dave Allen - This ends badly

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by TBC-ASAP, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Tyson Furry

Tyson Furry Member Full Member

Nov 27, 2017
    It’s hard enough to acknowledge you are struggling with mental health - re-visiting & confronting the underlying causes is a lot tougher.

... I hate people who belittle mental health.

ryanm8655 likes this.
  2. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Going on social media and saying you are struggling with mental health is clearly acknowledging that you have mental health issues.

3. Tyson Furry

Nov 27, 2017
    Clearly - and isn’t it great that people now feel that they can talk freely about their mental health issues.

Bondy365 likes this.
  4. EJC83

Jan 20, 2019
    Just to clarify, I never said that it wasn't, I never said anything of the sort, I said that I hated it when people who talk about it frequently then do nothing about it, acknowledging that they have issues but just constantly telling people that they have them rather than seeking help.

Being able to talk openly about mental health is a great thing and it helps no end, talking about your issues all the time but doing nothing about it isn't.

5. Tyson Furry

Nov 27, 2017
    You need to re-read my original reply: ‘It’s hard enough to acknowledge you are struggling with mental health - re-visiting & confronting the underlying causes is a lot tougher.’
    Allen has acknowledged his mental health is poor, resolving a mental health issue usually involves revisiting the cause or trigger - by means of counselling sessions etc. Because this is a painful experience, most sufferers don’t seek professional help.

EJC83 likes this.
  6. EJC83

Jan 20, 2019
    I hear you for sure, and I'm sure many of us on here have found ourselves in that situation and can relate to it. The issue for me is that Allen seems to bring it up all the time and I often wonder if he's done anything about it and, and this is going to sound awful, I sometimes wonder if, because of the kind of character he is, he lays it on thick for sympathy votes and attention, the bloke craves attention. I don't think he even lasted a week coming off of social media before he was back on it again and in the time since he has come back on he's waffled a careers worth of s**t already. Occasionally he says something quite profound and decent, then he'll go and spoil it. He has a lot of people around him and he seems to have kept ties with old school mates and people who have been alongside him through the journey, you'd like to think that these people will help him and the likes of Hearn are looking out for his well being.

I hear you loud and clear on what you were saying though, I had years of counselling as a kid and to be honest revisiting the cause of the trigger never really bothered me, probably because I was young, I don't know. As a result even now it doesn't bother me and I speak open and freely about it with anyone who wants to talk, I know that not everyone is the same though and the longer you bottle it up or not get help the harder it can become. That part I probably can't relate to as well but I get it, although I appreciate that part of my earlier post may have come across as rather dismissive and ignorant.

Tyson Furry likes this.
  7. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2017
    Dave Allen has taken to social media to tell us all of his daddy issues, his gambling addiction, his alcohol problems, his mental health problems, his suicidal tendencies, his self destructive nature and even made a big deal about his headaches (which turned out he just needed glasses). If any of these issues are true, then at some stage surely the BBBC revoke his licence and get him examined. Is there no help or support from his management, promoter, trainer or friends? Mental health is no joke, but in my experience the people really suffering aren’t shouting about it all over social media. Apologies for being bored and cynical towards the Dave Allen Show.

8. alpo1

alpo1 #TeamShanny Full Member

Dec 10, 2005
    He's a prat tbh. Like I'm gonna feel sorry for some 1st world problems of a guy getting overpaid to fight 36 minutes.

Clarence Gianni likes this.
  9. T0nymac76

T0nymac76 New Member Full Member

Aug 26, 2019
    Maybe Allen v Gorman could happen. Comeback fight for both should show what levels there both at .

10. 305th

305th Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 28, 2018
    Not a bad shout but it's the old rule which for some reason never gets spoken - Queensberry vs Matchroom fighter. In other words not going to happen.

CutThroatFade likes this.
  11. ryanm8655

ryanm8655 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Not to mention it’s expensive to get help, which is another barrier.

12. ryanm8655

ryanm8655 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 23, 2008
    That assumes everyone with mental health issues is the same.

13. Patter983

Patter983 Active Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2018
    I think Gorman handles him with ease!

CutThroatFade likes this.
  14. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    They are quite big mates aren't they? Not sure it would happen.

15. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2017
    Not at all, I said in MY experience