David Bey vs Gerry Cooney - 1984

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mr. magoo, Apr 6, 2020.

1. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    In 1984 Gerry Cooney made somewhat of a comeback easily stopping obscure unbeaten Phillip Brown and the veteran George Chaplin. David Bey reached 14-0 by winning an upset decision over top 10 ranked Greg Page. Who do you think would have taken it at this particular junction in time ?

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  2. joebeadg

joebeadg Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2005
    1round bey gets knocked out. As I remember him, bey was plodding and slow, ordinary

Richard M Murrieta and mr. magoo like this.
  3. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Are we sure that David Bey is old enough for this task? Just kidding, it might be a good fight. Prime Gerry Cooney vs Prime Jerry Quarry would be a good match, they would be the same age.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  4. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Bey was a perfect opponent with that defense of his.Left hand at his waist guy. And no lateral movement to get out of the way of anything.

Might as well had Neon Leon in there. Unfortunately, that would have been the caliber of bouts the Cooney braintrust would have provided the fans of boxing. Not even a beatable but durable guy like a Berbick. Nope---more like a match with ST Gordon who fought Berbick to a close decision type opponent.

5. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    He DID fight ST Gordon earlier in his career. Lololol. S. T. Was disqualified and the Whacky Twins changed it to a KO. Lmao

6. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    well you and I know that kind of guy is what the looney twins would have gone for as an opponent. The st gordon's of the world--like that rematch would be something to see.. or the 1983 version of Leon Spinks. Maybe a facefirst guy like Cobb if they---in their evaluations--wanted a highly skilled opponent.

The other thing I never bought into with the Cooney crowd is how well he did with Holmes. i did not think it was a very good fight by Larry. Lets call it a B result. I thought he should have got him out of there in the second round. There was lots of time left in the round and Cooney was down from not that big of a punch. He was ripe for the taking. Earlier versions of Holmes get him out of there. And I don't like Holmes against body punchers anyway--he is much better at absorbing upstairs than to the breadbasket

7. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Cooney would probably stop Bet in the 5th. But he wouldn't just walk over him, given the inactivity.

8. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Bey in 1984 was a 'live' opponent, a top 5 heavyweight (and he EARNED that ranking, unlike Cooney).
    He went downhill after the Holmes and Berbick defeats and became a journeyman but in 1984 he was legit.

9. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Dont know when Cooneys drinking problem started but I still think if he had a different team behind him that didnt take his confidence from him he could have won a belt.