David Haye Desperate for a rematch - Bellew now his nemesis

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Sephiroth Rising 7, Mar 7, 2017.

1. ashishwarrior

ashishwarrior VIP Member Full Member

Apr 19, 2010
  2. BoxingABC1

BoxingABC1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 21, 2016
    yeah, his next fight is in September

3. Rooney9

Rooney9 New Member banned Full Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Bellew is 34 and Haye 36.. they're the same age FFS.. prime or no prime.. Bellew beats him.. similar to when Lennox whooped Tyson..

4. Mc2

Mc2 Member Full Member

Mar 6, 2017

Maybe right mate. Just think its sellable atm because its just finished. Emotions are high people still talking about it etc. As time goes on tho...it ll lose its interest at the same level. Think people underestimate how big the build up to the first one was. Probably second to only groves v froch. There was a quality narrative to it. The big star on the comeback trail that promised so much v the guy that was attempting to move up to heavyweight to take on a big challenge. It was the unknown that got people interested as well as the talking and hatred.

Now its a bit like...we know theres not really a haye version 2. Theres also a good chance he ll re injures himself in the build up. Or on the night. The hatred now looks like its been quashed...if it started up i think people will know its pantomine stuff now. Unlike the froch v groves rematch what does winning do for either of them. If haye wins its against a guy most thought he,d knock out in a round or two. If bellew wins...hes beat a guy thats completely over the hill.

Dont get me wrong it ll probably still sell. Because the first fight was a little bit inconclusive. And its a decent enough fight. But hayes showed his hand now. He can still probably sell another big fight off the back of it because of the injury and the heart he showed and hes a good salesman. But it ll be the end of the road soon. He lost his biggest selling point. He was the guy that was gonna come out retirement and beat the young upstart in joshua. A guy that looks unbeatable. Haye wont do as good numbers again as he did v bellew imo. Wont be long until people turn on him for turning up on tv every two minutes looking for a bellew rematch. Needs to give it up or be serious about a comeback and forget about chasing money atm. If hes good enough the money will come.

5. Legend X

Legend X Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 18, 2005
    I think Wilder's just too long for Bellew. 6 foot 7, long arms, and he hits hard. I doubt Bellew could do the 12 rounds without getting sparked.

6. DJN16

DJN16 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Sorry but I just can't take this anymore, comparing him and Bellew having a trilogy similar to Duran-Leonard, Ali- Frazier etc is a mockery to the finest fighters who ever graced this sport. Sad thing is many casuals will probably fall for it. What a con to the public and insult to those who actually know boxing!

7. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Just as bad are the comments by Adam Smith about 'Fight of the Year' etc when the only real excitement was the fact that Haye could barely stand up when his achilles went.

The mugs are being reeled in on an unprecedented scale.

8. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Bellew called Haye a one-trick pony in the build-up, although he added that it's a pretty amazing trick in that he has such phenomenal power and speed that he doesn't have to go 12 rounds, he can just spark them out.

Well, looking at the first 6 rounds on Saturday, that trick is no longer going to work against a fighter with good movement and counter shots. So I'm not sure what Haye has to offer the heavyweight division now beyond (top) domestic level. He has good skills and can box clever with the jab but that's not going to make him the same exciting fighter to watch as he was 5 years ago. He made his name from being an explosive knock out artist, like a certain AJ or Wilder.

I have huge respect and admiration for Haye, but beyond a rematch with Bellew I don't see where he goes where he can earn huge money.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  9. lawslaw

lawslaw Active Member Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    I think it is likely Haye has 3 fights left and he already has them planned.

A rematch and decider in a Bellew trilogy, both likely to earn him north of £4 million, then a final farewell v AJ as long as he ends 2-1 up against Bellew.

That little lot could pull him in £20 million so there are plenty of incentives there for him whilst trying to recover from his injury.

Twentyman likes this.
  10. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Not a big earner but would love to see him put Whyte in his place.

11. Cally

Cally Sand...sand... nothing but sand! Full Member

Sep 12, 2015
    I just can't see him in a ring again. Going to struggle to get through camps without picking up injuries/niggles, especially with his fighting style...

He's absolutely done now!

Legend X likes this.
  12. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    Haye was done 4 years ago that is why he pulled out of the Fury fight.

Only back for the PPV mugs money

Legend X likes this.
  13. Legend X

Legend X Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 18, 2005
    Haye's not beating Dillian Whyte these days. I don't think he'd manage to beat Dereck Chisora now either, he's not what he was in 2012.
    I'd make him at least a slight underdog in a Bellew rematch.

Haye v Price makes more sense now. I mean, even Price still has a few deluded supporters left out there who think he just needs to do X, Y and Z and he'll be a contender.

14. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    The Haye in rounds 6-10 v Bellew would have a similar stance to Price when Haye breathes on him.

Billed as a 50/50 PPV fight should reel the mugs in on a large scale - the PPV mugs fall for anything and all Pricey needs is to follow Haye's instructions regarding the acting script.

15. rski

rski Well-Known Member Full Member

May 12, 2013
    that sky interview was hilarious really, my favorite part is when he mentioned he slipped in a left hook and dropped Bellew just after the the injury, laughing it off in a butter wouldn't melt way. Tony wont like that. Brilliantly done really, he does know the media, he has turned the situation into a positive. you can just tell he is coming across and innocent as possible lol. He does give Bellew props here but I'm sure Tony will be unhappy he was talking about the injury, but how can that be avoided? Bellew wants to ignore it but its there on film and he has to deal with the fact that Haye has his own victory in defeat.