David Higgins was impressive

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Dragon Punch, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Yeah, I have the same assessment of him. Thought he was a complete knob when I first saw him with the Hughie fight press conference but he's okay.

2. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    But the whole appeal of Higgins is that he's "out of his depth" ... yet he's up there, with a world champion, and a massive fight. He's done the business.

And Higgins' opinions on AJ are easily as valid (or more valid than) the opinions of the vast majority of the 80,000 people who will flock to cheer AJ on.

Adam Smith is a bigger nerd and a more annoying twat than David Higgins could ever be.
    Yet we have to put up with him.
    And I don't know how the **** he got where he is.

3. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    Point is: I respect Team Parker for coming into the lion's den, with their amateurish unpolished ways, and doing business with the slick giant machine that is backing Anthony Joshua.

They are underdogs, they seem like underdogs. I respect the underdogs.

4. carlingeight

carlingeight Active Member Full Member

May 15, 2016
    I almost said I know everyone loves an underdog, but to call him impressive c'mon. We should at least stay grounded in reality.

If anything I'd be worried Joshua takes Parker too lightly thinking surely someone promoted by this guy can't be anything special. Thankfully I'm sure McCracken will steer AJ clear of complacency.

To be honest if it wasn't for the Peter Fury spat I might also be warming to Higgins for the reasons you mentioned. But he clearly showed his true colours that day.

Unforgiven likes this.
  5. Scyson

Scyson Active Member banned Full Member

Oct 14, 2017
    He’s a proper bellend.

6. oiky

oiky Gypsy Boy Full Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Higgins is a lemon

But has came across much better the past few days

Still a bit of a div though

7. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Joshua shouldn’t have even bothered trying to explain the knockdowns. He’d have come off far better if he just laughed it off and said that it’s heavyweight boxing and anyone can get knocked down. Then some cliche stuff about having the heart to get back up, to learn from it etc.

Momus and DJN16 like this.
  8. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    I. Starting to like this chap Higgins.
    I thought he came accross well when he gave his "factual account" of AJ. And hes obviously rattled aj, and hearn . The way aj was telling us all about getting locked up, i was thinking wtf. U could see visibly aj getting ryled. Even mcracken had to jump to ajs defence. Then hearn going in with 'say it to ajs face" waz very childish.
    This guy looks after his fighter, i like that.

Unforgiven likes this.
  9. STEPHEN1990

STEPHEN1990 Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 22, 2017
    Lol hearn is a joke and 100% aj is mentally weak fury would have a field day and would not miss a thing out he would mention that his taking steroids his a former drug dealer his a complete fake and he would 100% mention the eddie chambers stuff lol it would be great to see aj crumble

Skelly and im sparticus like this.
  10. Tazz

Tazz Member Full Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Higgins was great, showing confidence in his fighter. Kevin Barry was disappointing. It's rare to see a trainer so negative about their fighter before they have even lost.

11. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    Can u even imagine it. I cant wait. Hearn wont be saying to tyson "say it to his face" he wouldnt dare have the same attitude wigh tyson that he showed to higgins.

12. STEPHEN1990

STEPHEN1990 Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 22, 2017
    Lol Tyson will also find time to tear into that joke hearn and you know hearn will try and get Tyson to sign a contract saying he cant mention this or that lol theres no way Tyson's signing anything like that lol and he will not forget the other members of the aj matchroom mafia like aj girl friend Bellew lol

13. Momus

Momus Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Yeah, I much preferred the way Groves dealt with similar needle from Eubank about sparring. Groves basically said that there's loads of variables in sparring, and everyone gets the better of everyone else at some point. He didn't deny it happened, nor try to justify why it happened. He put it across as something so insignificant he barely even remembers it.

None of this probably matters come fight night, but it did seem odd that the marquee name with the proper claim to the title felt the need to justify himself to a paper titlist with a lesser record.

14. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    I seen what Barry was doing was playing mind games with Parker to fire him up to put in a career best performance after recent lacklustre ones. Remember Parker lives with Barry and his family in Las Vegas the guy knows Parker inside out.