David Price has improved

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Price is back, Feb 5, 2017.

1. On The Money

On The Money Dangerous Journeyman Full Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Close but no cigar for Dave with Thompson2 and Hammer. I would like to see Allen fight him, honestly if he can't beat Allen then hanging them up is the only course left.

2. carlingeight

carlingeight Active Member Full Member

May 15, 2016
    Indeed. It's like watching a winning lottery ticket slip through your fingers. Considering the lack of depth in the HW division there must be a lot of average fighters out there dreaming of the payday.

I wonder how many sleepless nights Glazkov has had after watching the millions Charles Martin earned.

zulander likes this.
  3. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    How about the Dallas/Little II winner, Cornish and then Allen. That might be enough to land him a decent domestic opponent like Chisora, Whyte or even a returning Fury if he managed do it in 6 months or less. Allen might actually beat him though... He has a good enough chin to replicate what Hammer did.

4. yesihavearm2

yesihavearm2 ESB Chinchecker Full Member

May 30, 2008
    I fear for Price's safety if he faces either Chisora or Whyte

5. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Whyte would Teper him, and Chisora probably stops him like he did Pala and Gerber.

6. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Its the only way to do it for price. Would actually be a decent comeback route for him. Throway fight against a bum. Dallas/little 2 winner. Then cornish. Then allen. Then someone slightly better than allen. Then hammer rematch. Then chisora/whyte Then go for the big payday. Or something similar even. I dont think he gets through it. But lets see where he can get with a proper build up. I d go as far to say he needs another 4 or 5 half decent fights improving in competition every fight before a hammer rematch. He needs to take baby steps. Improving that confidence. The cardio. Getting more time with coldwell. Instead if he does come back it ll probably be...2 latvians followed by a half decent pay day in which he ll probably lose again. Then rinse and repeat till the games up completely.

Never get why they dont give it a proper go of things. I know its pretty much about money but why not go for the big money by doing things right. Still say george foremann set the blueprint for a comeback.

Here's Johnny likes this.
  7. BigDoofus

BigDoofus Active Member Full Member

Apr 4, 2016
    Looking at his fighting weights under Coldwell gives me no confidence in him. Get a trainer not a Hearn-nuthugger.

8. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Personally dont think colwell played any part in prices recent downfall. Still think hes a decent fit for price. Tbh theres not many serious trainers out there that would take price on they ll know hes pretty much finished anywhere near the top level. Coldwell will probably drop anyway. Too many problems with price.

Coldwell was giving him plenty of encouragement tho trying to get the big mans confidence growing in their i dont think many would be as patient with him. Also dont think price would react well to the tough approach either.

Its like people have forgot what price was like before the weight gain...thompson finished him in the second round with a pitiful shot everyone thought it was a joke to begin with. Also done the exact same thing against hammer in the rematch with thompson where he just gave up through tiredness but it was actually worse than the hammer fight. He completely gave up. Teper actually walked right through him.

The weight gain isnt what caused price to lose to hammer. Under coldwell price is actually a better boxer. Even back in his reign of terror...price basically just had the big right hand. Coldwell definetely gave him more tools. Just that prices limitations were/are so big theres not much you can do with him. We ve been screaming at the tv for years to pop out the jab but i swear price would probably get tired out throwing it before the end of the first round.

Its got to be an anxiety problem. Not something a boxing coach can really take the sole blame for. The same would happen under any trainer.

Think its been a bit unfair on coldwell because hes not really well liked...bearing in mind...price had even bigger problems long before coldwell got there. As a boxing coach he has improved him. They need to sit down together and work out how to fix the mental side of his game. Its allright saying its the coaches responsibility but these look like pretty deep seated problems that some encouragement and motivation wont help. A start is getting him out there winning consistantly though. Regardless of who the opponent is. As long as they keep slowly upping the competition

9. WBCofKdale

WBCofKdale New Member Full Member

Jan 7, 2015
    He's a decent fella and I kind of feel a bit sorry for him but he's only got himself to blame. Sadly in our city he's viewed as a bit of a joke by anybody other than the Liverpool Fighters Clique and the local paper. Whilst it's nice to see them all rallying around him I don't think it does him any good. He needs to be told he either sorts himself out or he'll be buzzed off for years to come. And that needs to come from his fellow fighters and local media. Ive seen him enough over last 2 with various local S&C gurus and PTs, having a coffee/lunch in town to know he's aware of such things but having Bell-end and Smigga slagging off fight fans for daring to question their mates ability/heart/gas puts him back in that bubble. I've never paid to watch him yet but many have Paid good sums to do so and have every right to question him. I can't see a way out of it and if he can't learn to use a telegraph pole of a jab properly at this stage then the writings on the wall. I'd love him to turn things around but God knows where's the start. Big Horrible Heavyweight? Nope Dave your far from that unfortunately lad.

10. Sugar 88

Sugar 88 The Empire Struck Back Full Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Coldwell and Bellew crying over Haye's tweets are ridiculous too. Tony thinks he can say what he wants about people and that anything that comes back at him is bang out of order. I literally cannot wait to see him get smashed, the big mouthed hypocrite has had this beating coming for a long while.

I'd also say Coldwell throwing Price under the bus and distancing himself from all that went wrong is prob more hurtful for Big Dave than Haye telling Bellew he's next. Back to the holding the t-shirts for you Mr. Coldwell.

On the topic of Price, do we all agree he should of gone with Joe G now? At the very least he would of had him fit. I've never seen one of his fighters come into the ring out of condition.

drenlou and N17 like this.
  11. boglemcneep

boglemcneep Member Full Member

Nov 24, 2013
    It's another rubbish, knock-knee'd, yellow chicken, streaky panted performance from the white Audley Harrison.

12. boglemcneep

boglemcneep Member Full Member

Nov 24, 2013
    What about Fat Paul "Fatty Fatty Boom Boom" Smith Junior, who was a mere quarter of a ton overweight in his one sided tonking by Andre Ward?

13. Sugar 88

Sugar 88 The Empire Struck Back Full Member

Feb 4, 2012
    I'd forgotten about that farce TBH but its not like that was seen as a real fight by either. They didn't bother with that fight in the slightest, not bothering to even attempt to make weight whilst looking for an easy payday.

drenlou likes this.
  14. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Completely agree about Bellew and Coldwell and the whining and crying about Haye tweeting, they both look rather thin skinned and Bellew looks a hypocrite, he is the biggest crap talker in British boxing and I really hope Haye ruins him and ends his career.

And Coldwell, the interview I saw with him after the fight when he was saying Price is not mentally strong enough and he is a winner in life for having a family and not everybody can fulfill their dreams.... that was less than an hour after the fight I believe, talk about putting the boot in and taking absolutely no personal responsibility for Price losing.

According to Coldwell it was all Prices fault and Coldwell himself did everything right in the gym and in the corner... well I remember the Coldwell saying between one of the rounds "he will gas before you", that was a ridiculous thing to say to a fighter blowing out his backside with serious confidence issues.

Sugar 88 likes this.
  15. lawslaw

lawslaw Active Member Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Bellew is acting very nervously and extremely defensively at the moment. I think since that first presser he has realised he has bitten off more than he can chew with Haye and he knows he is in a whole lot of trouble.

Bellews plan was to cash in on the Haye fight, then go back down to cruiser and still get at least one more defence in for a few more £s. I think what he has started to realise now though, is the possibility he may not be the same fighter after the Haye fight and may not even fight again. I wouldn't be surprised if Bellew goes down and stays down the first chance he gets.