David Price has retired.

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Safin, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Jason Gordon

Jason Gordon Active Member banned Full Member

Sep 26, 2021
    You are literally ******ed.

2. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Right decision.

Always been fond of big Pricey, huge puncher with vulnerability which meant his fights always provided value win or lose.

Definitely mishandled early on which is a shame. He went from steam rolling domestic level fighters to jumping in with Thompson and there were no fights in between that would have helped in develop / bridge the gap in levels.

Good luck to him in retirement. Would like to see him on the pundit circuit, think he’d do a good job.

zulander and Sap1en like this.
  3. KingKO

KingKO El Terrible Full Member

Feb 2, 2019
    Echo what's already been said. Comes across as a really good bloke.

His career was always going to go the way it did, even if he avoided Thompson he'd have fought someone else that would have stopped him. He was very much a confidence fighter, which only gets you so far.

He's had a decent career and will have earned some good money. Wish him well for the future and would definitely be happy with him on punditry.

Holler likes this.
  4. dannyboy147

dannyboy147 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 2, 2010
    I hope he does a boxing dinner night circuit I would love to go. Honest bloke and always came across sound.

had the balls to test himself, came up short a few times. Like previous posters have said he just didn’t get the right advice/team around him by the looks of things.

Accurate and Here's Johnny like this.
  5. Murderers' Row

Murderers' Row Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 23, 2020
    At the end of the day he simply didn't have the stamina nor the chin to really make it to the big time though not for luck of trying. Wish him all the best on his future endeavors.

6. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013

I read the first line "at the end of the day he simply didn't have the stamina...."

I thought my wife had made an account :scared1

7. Max Thunder

Max Thunder Proud member of the Cult of Vikings Full Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Always tuned in for Big Pricey and rooted for the big man. He was an irreplaceable part of UK undercards to me.

Happy retirement, champ.

8. Here's Johnny

Here's Johnny Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 18, 2015
    Always loved Pricey. I’m gutted to have read this. It was probably a good decision but he could have achieved more than he did. He was always going to have a ceiling but when you see what some have achieved through good match making and blatant ducking then you know Price could have done more.

If you rewatch his early pro fights his hand speed is frightening for heavyweight. Them defeats absolutely destroyed his confidence and made him too scared to use his brilliant tools again. It was a double whammy though, as the nervousness made his gas tank drain alarmingly which made him more gun shy.

Look at the Povetkin fight when he was back at a lighter weight. He was handling Povetkin’s power really well and was in control, picking all variety of shots. Povetkin was 99.9% certainly saved by the bell and that would have been an absolutely huge Result at the time. Such a shame he doesn’t have a result like that to look back on. Don’t forget Thompson was in his way out in round 2 of the rematch having just got up at 9. Price would have probably knocked him clean out had there had been another 20 secs in that. At least we got that hilarious Thompson wheelchair interview after that but poor Frank Maloney was almost in tears after it, lost the plot and look at him now haha.

I remember saying at the time he shouldn’t have took that Chisora fight because they’re pally and let’s be honest Price is nice. Chisora is a helmet. Being a helmet in situations like that is far better than being nice. With a full camp Chisora is winnable for Price. Hearn promised him another Matchroom fight for stepping in to face Chisora and then covid ****ed him. Really has had no luck.

As others have alluded to I was hoping he’d knock Babic or Pooey Fury out but it’s not to be. I wish him all the best and I’d also love to see him on our teles a lot.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  9. Safin

Safin Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Very true. To me, he was like an 80's action or horror film. Maybe not a cinematic masterpiece, but charming, characteristic, always entertaining and normally good for some sort of unintended laugh.

nilrem likes this.
  10. LeavemealoneKoooogs

LeavemealoneKoooogs All hail his excellency Full Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Enjoying all the tributes. Was sorry to see him become a bit of a parody after he'd taken a few L's, he deserved better but boxings an unfair game isn't it.

Hopefully he has been paid well and can afford a few new suits for his future pundit duties.

Here's Johnny, DJN16, kojak and 2 others like this.
  11. ashishwarrior

ashishwarrior VIP Member Full Member

Apr 19, 2010
    ha ha ha
    and aye price is one of the good guys in boxing hope he enjoys retirement

12. Guru88

Guru88 Active Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2020
    I actually seen him about a week ago walking out the shop and I swear I’ve never seen a human being as big as that in my life, he looked like something out of a film. Hope he has earned a good few quid, good guy, it was normally drama when he was in there

13. Bob Flaps

Bob Flaps Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 30, 2019
    Always enjoyed big Price and his "mouthy c**t" press conference with Kash Ali is one of the all-time great British moments of the YouTube era.

Hope if he gets into punditry, his massive suit makes a comeback.

Here's Johnny likes this.