David Price

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Cookiedough, Dec 26, 2020.

1. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013

Hello David, a little bit sad to come in here and try and gain support and get people talking about you, but it's the season of goodwill so we can all just ignore that.

Anyway, With respect, I think people have padded your pension enough, you've quit, you've been knocked out, you've embrassed yourself and British boxing.

You also have achieved LESS than Audley Harrison, who managed to with British, Commonwealth and European titles and had a crack at a world title and he is still object of ridicule in 2020 while people like your very good friend Eddie Hearn sing your praises and call you "brave" and "entertaining".

Again, with respect, gassing after a few rounds and either quitting or getting knocked out isn't that brave or entertaining.

So may I ask you if you could please go and sign with Hennessy and do all this on channel 5, it's free to air, nobody has to pay as we still won't have crowds for a while.

I think this way everybody is happy, you can go and Gas, quit and get knocked out AGAIN and I don't have to listen to the Sky Sports team bang on about the "last chance saloon" for the 7th time.

Thank you, and have a great 2021, I heard Fat Mick is very good, although you might have to pay for your own travel and hotel room but I'm sure after all those unwarranted Sky fights you have a nice few quid still.

2. SambaKing1993

SambaKing1993 Don't do it Zachary! Full Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I keep hearing about this murderous right hand from Price but never seeing it!

teddybaldock and velagod like this.
  3. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    I'm with Jurgen on this one. Price is chasing his dreams into dangerous territory. He has a family, a business and a future away from Boxing.
    David is within sight of 40, is inevitably in physical decline and his confidence is dreadfully brittle. I would be delighted to hear of his retirement.

DJN16 and PatCash like this.
  4. znalniaskas

znalniaskas Member Full Member

Nov 24, 2013
    The guy dropped Povetkin and had him hurt, he also got Fraudley out of the ring more brutal and more effective than Wilder.
    I wonder how much of it is just mental, he looked pretty decent vs Povetkin, when nobody expected him to do well.

Sap1en, Scissors, Cookiedough and 2 others like this.
  5. Here's Johnny

Here's Johnny Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 18, 2015
    People forget and probably rightly so but he was boxing brilliantly in that fight. It wasn’t just a lucky shot. He was worrying Povetkin in that fight, I still remember Bellew shouting Povetkin was goosed and Price needed to end it after he hurt him. He was right.

Who knows what would have happened if Foster hadn’t saved him or there was 30 seconds left in that round because he was half out there.

Sap1en and Potwash like this.
  6. Here's Johnny

Here's Johnny Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 18, 2015
    Price knew he was losing to Chisora, Eddie knew it. He wasn’t fit despite the obvious claims that he was. So Hearn said if you lose this we’ll guarantee you another decent fight in 2020 on a Matchroom card. We all know what happened in 2020.

Considering the short notice for that fight you can understand Hearn giving Price that offer but it just gave Price an excuse to fight in survival mode.

I’ve been a huge fan for years. I was a lanky 13 year old in 04 and kept getting compared to him in the gym haha. I didn’t know who he was before that. That night however, was the first time I was willing him to retire. Chisora a short plodder is tailor made for Price and he just didn’t try. He knew he was unfit so why not just have a go? He hit Chisora once with an arm shot whilst pinned against the ropes and Chisora did a chicken dance. His career is just full of ifs buts and maybes.

Sap1en and Gatekeeper like this.
  7. Cookiedough

Cookiedough Active Member Full Member

Feb 18, 2020
    I am not David Price. . In my opinion David has shown more than enough courage to carry on fighting and I do not think he has embarrassed himself at all. To carry on after all the setbacks he has had takes some doing. Only the very strong can do it. Especially in the sport of boxing. He could of called it quits a long time ago.
    If he decides to keep fighting, wether it’s money orientated or not, good luck to him. Eddie Hearn has got it right, Price is brave and entertaining, hence my original post.

N17 and Sap1en like this.
  8. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    He is entertaining in a way that he shits his pants on the ringwalk, freezez and can get banged out and do a dance from any sort of contact. If that's why you watch boxing then fair enough.

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  9. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Whether you’re a fan or not surely everyone should sympathise with him. He’s downfall was brought about by two convicted drug cheats. He was headed for the stars before them defeats crushed him mentally.

Sap1en likes this.
  10. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Id rather he headlines fight nights etc than clogg up PPV cards with meaningless mstches

Cookiedough likes this.
  11. Safin

Safin Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 3, 2019
    "Drug cheat" in "high level professional sport" is an oxymoron.

People on this forum seem to really believe that unless you have been outed, you're full natty. As if.

I find David Price entertaining and I always look forward to watching him. He does have plans to keep on competing but for the sake of his health it shouldn't be for much longer.

destruction likes this.
  12. Murderers' Row

Murderers' Row Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Pretty much this.

A farewell fight would be nice though.

13. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    I think a lot of it with Price is psychological, he gasses because he's so nervous, that's my theory. I think if he had serious sports psychology after Thompson 2, even after 2, he might have been able to turn his career around more than he did. I think his career can be summed up by the Hammer fight. At one point you think he's going to absolutely obliterate him, by the end of it he's hanging over the ropes, unable to stand up straight and unable to throw or block a punch and there's still half of the fight left.

14. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Tony Thompson took Price's soul away. The rematch was the biggest mistake of his career.

Prior to running into TT, he was smashing decent level British/European level HWs out early.

Following TT, he was no longer able to perform to that level. I think it was partly him holding himself back and not wanting to gas out. Ironically, though he always did gas in every fight where his opponent was still in there past 6 rounds.

The Christian Hammer fight was his last chance of kicking on as a fighter and achieving a European title. But he unravelled in the same way he did against Tony Thompson both times.

You are spot on about his stamina too. It is the nervous energy he lets off that makes him gas. I 100% believe that in sparring he is able to do 12 rounds easily.

A highly entertaining fighter, but it is time he retired. It is clear his punch resistance has always been an issue- and he needs to retire for his own safety. Thankfully he has a profession to fall back on.

I think he was never going to go on further than European level even without the TT debacle, because his gas tank under pressure was always going to empty and leave him helpless in there.

EJC83, Scissors and Gatekeeper like this.
  15. kojak

kojak Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    One thing I will say is, against Povetkin that's the only time I didn't think he was gassing. He made it to what was it round 5? He actually looked ok compared to the Thompson and Hammer fights!