David Tua versus Jim Corbett

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Seamus, Aug 16, 2015.

1. GlaukosTheHammer

GlaukosTheHammer Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 7, 2017
    Ten fights in title bout sim

Corbett UD

Tua DQ

Corbett UD

Tua TKO

Corbett UD

Corbett UD

Corbett UD

Corbett TKO

Corbett UD

Tua KO

2. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    No I will never get tired of scrutinizing assertions that are made without evidence.

I am sorry if you find this inconvenient.

3. SambaKing1993

SambaKing1993 Don't do it Zachary! Full Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Lmao. Tua turns this bum into a plate resembling the finest Samoan chop suey.

Pat M and InMemoryofJakeLamotta like this.
  4. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    But this isn't a match of two guys waving mythical titles around (degraded ones contested only among white folks, btw)... It is a head to head match-up. Tua had to get thru Lennox Lewis, the greatest superheavy the sport has seen, to get a title. Corbett had to tip over an old color line drawing drunk who had twice been in alcohol induced comas, suffered various 19th century chronic maladies and had a broken arm that never set correctly. Head to head, these situations don't even compare. Only in your magical 12-sided dice role playing game could they be equivalent.

Tua would steamroll Corbett and his fancy dancing thong strung @ss in under a round.

JoffJoff and Pat M like this.
  5. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    Yes but Tua didn't just lose to Lewis, he lost nearly all of his key career fights.

The least that you would have to say for Corbett, is that he was probably the best heavyweight in the world at one point.

You are essentially arguing that guys who were well outside the top ten in era A, were superior to the best fighters of era B.

Even if we make a strong assumption that the sport had evolved over this period, it would not quite justify such a far reaching claim.

Jackomano likes this.
  6. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    No, I am saying that Bobby Crabtree would have been an elite fighter back in those days.

Do you really think that Corbett or Sullivan would haul their blanched Irish @sses in to the ring if Ibeabuchi or Lewis or Hasim Rahman were waiting in the other corner?

Pat M likes this.
  7. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Maybe in a non title fight

8. Okin129

Okin129 ... Full Member

Mar 24, 2017
    Are you aware that Corbett would be a light heavyweight today ? Because i don't think you would pick any light heavyweight from today to beat Tua, that would only make sense if Corbett was far superior to modern top light heavyweights like Bob Foster and Michael Spinks and i don't see it.

I think Corbett was nowhere near as good as Ezzard Charles for example, a light heavyweight/heavyweight who i would pick to beat Tua.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  9. Red Revolving Pepperman

Red Revolving Pepperman New Member Full Member

Sep 5, 2018
    11-4-3 is generous, Unforgiven. It assumes that Corbett's fight with McCoy was legit.

Only when somebody backs the "hard headed classicist" into a corner.

10. Red Revolving Pepperman

Sep 5, 2018
    Yes. It would be very unreasonable.

Look at "Ethics of Boxing and Manly Sport", by John Boyle O'Reilly, p. 62, on Google Books. Refer to the picture that says: "Upper Cut, As Sullivan Strikes It (Instantaneous Photograph)."

After you've finished laughing, see if you can't answer your own question for us.

Go on. I'll wait.

11. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    In Sullivan's defense... when you have a wounded foe you can wind up on that punch... ergo Liston below... https://www.flickr.com/photos/boxingmemories/5601861216/

cross_trainer likes this.
  12. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Id pick Michael Spinks to do the do against Tua before I'd pick Corbett. In fact, I think a much stronger argument could be made on Spinks behalf.

13. Red Revolving Pepperman

Sep 5, 2018
    But the caption says "as Sullivan strikes it", Seamus. That sounds like it's his regular practice. The Kilrain fight photos look incompetent. Sullivan's footage on the speed bag and "feinting" with Corbett are laughable.

What are the odds that the only surviving technique snapshots from Sullivan just happen to all look bad?

Pat M likes this.
  14. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    Can't you see that a statement like this, requires a much more detailed justificatio, than simply saying:

"The sport has improved since then to an unspecified extent."

In as much as you could even establish that.

anything that is asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.

15. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    Yes and no.

We have a much clearer idea how good Spinks was, but Corbett did a lot more work north of 175.

I would favor Spinks over Tua for whatever it is worth.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.