David vs Goliath poll #1 (Archie Moore vs Razor Ruddock)

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Kamikaze, Apr 18, 2021.

Who wins David or Goliath?

1. Archie (David)

43.8%
  2. Razor (Goliath)

56.3%
  1. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    No 175lb fighter would beat Rudduck for more than 1/3.

Reinhardt likes this.
  2. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    What’s funny is people actually think Razor is naturally 235 plus. Man was a 200 pounder in his early career. Just like Many other big men. These men that are waking around 240 plus are not naturally that big. They’re juiced for the most part.

3. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    The gap in talent between Ruddock and Moore is massive. It's not like Moore never proved himself against huge guys with power: Davidson, Baker, Valdes, Parker, Lavorante, Kalbfell... Granted, most of them were less dangerous than Ruddock but he dominated them all.

Gazelle Punch and janitor like this.
  4. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    We have to keep mind that young fighters are often beanpoles that are yet to fill out. Tua too was in the low 200s when he started.
    But at least to me, they were always going to get heavier. Ruddock at 200 must have been skinny.
    I've a friend who's around 6'4" and a little less than 200 and he's built like a stick.

But yeah, weight training and yep, roids help.

Gazelle Punch and Kamikaze like this.
  5. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    This is ridiculous, in his hundreds of fights Moore was dropped over 50 times, Ruddock is one of the hardest punchers in heavyweight history . Razor will destroy Moore inside 3 at most 4 rounds

6. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    The thing is the right big men just had not come around, In what way do you think steroids make the change?
    Seems like a lot of misinformation circulating about steroids on this forum.

7. Kamikaze

Oct 12, 2020
    Exatly, No one is naturally a lean 225-240lber like everyone they have to fill out there frames with more then puberty and genes. no one walks around looking like George Foreman or Ruddock through boxing alone whole lotta idiots think that they came out of high school looking like that or just "Filled out with age" It is all so stupid.

8. Gazelle Punch

Aug 15, 2018
    It would seem many taller fighters just didn’t have that much pop. Lateral movement was terrible. Coordination looks off. Slow. Prior to the late 70s early 80s you’d be hard pressed to find fighters 6”5 plus that excelled at any of those things with the exception of maybe Primo who was a freak of nature. And even then he looks clumsy at times. Terrell in the sixties was probably the second best big man prior to the 80s and he was weak and not exactly swift of foot (although skilled). I don’t think it’s possible to have so few big men as competitors in the tv age 1925-1975 and think steroids were t a factor. I’m open for an explanation as to why? Also I understand it may not be steroids per sei but could be other PEDs at play. Not to mention there is a cruiser division now so men at those weights don’t even compete anymore

9. Kamikaze

Oct 12, 2020
    Okay, so what is your argument? Steroids made them more skilled and less clumsy?
    Glove size, better suited trainers, higher population and better revenue from boxing were most likely the true change.

10. Gazelle Punch

Aug 15, 2018
    Boxing was the most popular sport during that time. Def not revenue. Only the top top make money now. You could make a good living from boxing at many times in the prior periods. Better trainers for big men is true I’ll give u that. Big men didn’t fight like big men of today. Yes steroids PEDS definitely make them more explosive and stronger and possibly more coordinated. I also don’t see how glove size would matter in the slightest. Everyone’s wearing similar gloves per era that they’re in.

11. Kamikaze

Oct 12, 2020
    Well it is harder to block a smaller glove, easier to slip them in against bigger men small detail but more impactive then suggesting that SHWs exist at the top because of PEDs, everyone exists at the top because of PEDs they are no less effective in any one weight class.

12. 70sFan865

May 30, 2019
    Moore was stopped only three times at HW - against Ali, Rocky and Patterson. He was beyond shot against Ali and past prime against Rocky and Floyd.

The biggest and most powerful punchers Old Mongoose faced couldn't find him all fight long. Ruddock was crude as hell and very predictable, Moore would school him.

13. Kamikaze

Oct 12, 2020
    Rocky was as crude and as predictable what makes the difference in this scenario on the topic of styles anyways is work rate Ruddocks was very poor he just threw very singular shots.

14. 70sFan865

May 30, 2019
    Rocky was inarguably more unpredictable and his workrate was what crushed Moore. Ruddock didn't fight like that.

Gazelle Punch likes this.
  15. Kamikaze

Oct 12, 2020
    Ever so slightly less predictable and yes that was the point I was making.