DAZN aquire worldwide Women's Champions League Rights

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by TBC-ASAP, Jul 1, 2021.

1. Puroresu_Fan

Puroresu_Fan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 6, 2016
    It's done to fill gaps in the diary. See the group stage runs for 3 months so that's some content to fill out the schedule for a good amount of time.

• The centrepiece is a new 16-team group stage, which will involve four groups of four playing each other home and away between October and December. The top two from each group progress to the knockout phase from March, with the quarter-finals and semi-finals played over two legs, and a one-off final (in Turin in 2022).
    $8 mil a year is not really much to pay for the broadcaster.

Popularity of the women's game not sure but I think it is growing in popularity as Sky also bought rights to the Women's Super League and that's £8 mil a year for 3 years.

Chelsea I believe also announced they sold out of season tickets for their women's team for the first time ever.

The game has secured a couple of multi year broadcast deals recently and that must mean something.

2. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Watch out SKY

They are coming for Netball next!

Here's Johnny and KingKO like this.
  3. KingKO

KingKO El Terrible Full Member

Feb 2, 2019
    When I'm deciding on which sports package I would like to subscribe to, Women's football is high on my list. Right next to over 70's bowls and competitive knitting.

Here's Johnny likes this.
  4. alpo1

alpo1 #TeamShanny Full Member

Dec 10, 2005
    I'd part with my £1.99 a month if they had a league where the best women's teams go up against the best schoolboy teams.

Terminator likes this.
  5. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    The Earns should take their darts and snooker across to DAZN then see if shyte floats on the ocean

6. Wig

Wig Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 31, 2010
    :D:DYou’re a tough man to please Jurgs!

Jurgen likes this.
  7. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    The only way to improve the Matchroom boxing cards is to withhold our money until Eh Day sticks on cards and fights that justify another subscription.

If we keep paying for this garbage, Eh Day keeps taking and giving us pony.

For the first time in years, I have enjoyed the new cards on Sky.

I don't think Matchroom are going to be missed at all in the UK unless huge fights are made.

There is plenty of boxing on UK TV outside DAZN with the new Sky deal, Frank on BT, Big Mick on Ch5 plus we get good cards from MTK online.

Willis Brown and Gatekeeper like this.
  8. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    With Top Rank now on Sky and hopefully domestic cards in the future along with C5 there's absolutely no reason to tolerate Eddie's mismatch farce cards let alone pay for them. Would Eddie up his game if subscribers started leaving in significant numbers ?? Dunno in all honesty, EH has got such a paper thin roster that having competitive cards will inevitably lead to house fighters losing more and more often thereby devaluing Matchroom. Eddie is in a tough position IMO.

Jurgen likes this.
  9. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    Looks like Eh Day is simply reinventing the equivalent of Boxnation on a streaming platform and the problems with that are exactly the same as Frank faced.

Needs a huge stable to go it alone and he may need a more formal link up with the biggest stable in UK and Irish boxing - MTK Global.

Gatekeeper likes this.
  10. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    They better stay clear of FishOMania - that is much more exciting than any Hosiery Mourinho football

11. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Get ready to renew that sub mate

Jurgen likes this.
  12. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Not really when you consider cards like this were part of your sky subs. No way were sky giving matcbroom 2 quid per sub so the standard should reflect that.

13. Trafford

Trafford Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    You think DAZN don’t have overheads? Eddie isn’t pocketing £2 a sub

14. Trafford

Trafford Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    I think we can only really go off Eddie’s relationship with DAZN in the US. As that more reflective of the deal he has with DAZN. In that market we have had Estrada vs Chocolatito, Canelo vs Smith, Canelo vs Saunders, Haney vs linares all within the last 6 months or so. That’s without the other cards like Andrade vs Williams.
    Can’t really say Eddie does put on competitive fights if the budget allows.
    Meanwhile people are acting like we’re getting value for our £50 a month from Sky to watch Loma vs knockover, Inoue vs knockover and Mayweather vs Logan Paul on PPV.

get those rose tinted specs off.

15. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    The Zone is being advertised on ITV - game changed it claims :laser-kill: