DAZN buying BT Sports back on it seems

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by TBC-ASAP, Jan 12, 2022.

1. AJH

AJH Member Full Member

Jul 5, 2018
    This is true and rather than fix it they will put Ally McCoist on comms so that everybody forgets.

Terminator and Jurgen like this.
  2. Puroresu_Fan

Puroresu_Fan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Yes they do but that customer base can only grow so far without other content.

I can see the EPL having its own streaming service but not exclusive. They would still sell the rights to the broadcasters but also offer there own service for game's not shown by broadcasters.

3. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    A stable full of pony as well

4. Puroresu_Fan

Apr 6, 2016
    1% of sports fans are concerned with a delay such as that.

Iptv feeds have much longer delays

5. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Some of those feeds have been tested and incredibly 45 secs ahead of DAZN UK streams.

Yes I suppose those who don't subscribe have little to complain about.

ryanm8655 likes this.
  6. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Whilst true, no body is gonna complain at 50- 80 per year for all content where as a service that gives you a small fraction of the content you wish to watch , is wide open to public criticism

Rightly or wrongly that's human nature and the two cant be compared fairly

7. I Shot JR

I Shot JR Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Just to clarify that DAZN would have to offer their programming on linear channels (satellite/cable) if they did take over BT unless they were able to negotiate an exemption with the Premier League (unlikely).

This saga has dragged on for seemingly forever- the logical time to announce this would be the football off season so May/June.

8. Puroresu_Fan

Apr 6, 2016
    Where did you see this?

Amazon get an exemption because they show a limited amount of games?

The other rumoured interested party discovery also would be streaming content on discovery+

9. I Shot JR

I Shot JR Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Amazon actually have to use pop up channels on satellite if they want pubs to show the matches because of the delay/quality issue- in short it’s a lot less likely that pictures are going to be affected by a satellite system rather than streaming.

The Premier League’s contract with the broadcasters will roll over to the next cycle so if DAZN wants to take over BT’s share of games they either have to use linear channels or renegotiate the contract which is unlikely. DAZN could effectively be just a rebadged BT with linear channels and streaming in the short term.

Discovery do have Quest on satellite/freeview but they also would have to set up linear channels behind a paywall or renegotiate with the Premier League (as they couldn’t make all the games free to air under the current contract).

I actually think we are quite close to an announcement but what I’ve written above does highlight the complexities of the situation with contracts, and that’s only one element of this deal.

im sparticus, Jurgen and Astro like this.
  10. tee_birch

tee_birch Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 6, 2014
    Surely having a channel would suit Dazn. It could compliment their impetus on digital and make it more accessible. Again, I don’t really pay too much attention to these things so perhaps it’s a non runner. Also, a 45 second delay on any premier league match would be an unmitigated disaster.

Jurgen likes this.
  11. kobashi

kobashi Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2010
    In Italy Amazon show champions League on sky but only in pubs/cafe and clubs.

I actually would not be surprised if the premier League was not comfortable with such a big amount of games only available via streaming with DAZN. Lots of viewers will be against it and don't want to give up TV viewing.

Also interested in how UEFA react with the champions League content being locked behind streaming in the UK.

12. Puroresu_Fan

Apr 6, 2016
    The CL shouldn't be any different to other regions.

In Germany amazon have games and sky sub licence games to DAZN.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/amazon-uefa-champions-league-streaming-rights-germany/

They would probably have to commit to giving away some games for free on YouTube.

13. Puroresu_Fan

Apr 6, 2016
    I would think they would prefer not to simply as its an added cost.

I don't know how subscriptions would work with a TV channel. With ott you simply subscribe and cancel whenever you want.

With TV subs does the price stay the same? Do people need to get locked into contracts?

Isn't it the case that you would subscribe or cancel via virgin or sky rather than just having a Dazn account which you control yourself which probably would mean a difference in pricing rather than selling direct to the consumer.

With BT Sport on Sky you can add 30 day rolling contracts but you still only get to add a sub to the main sky q box and then you would pay again if you want extra sky q mini boxes to have BT Sport.

they probably don't want a situation like that.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    tee_birch likes this.
  14. Astro

Astro Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2021
    I think you´re right. I´d heard it´s very close.

15. kobashi

kobashi Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2010