DAZN PPV - UK

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Double J, Oct 13, 2021.

1. kobashi

kobashi Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Was trying to tell lots of people on twitter weeks ago they were setting themselves up to be very disappointed when they kept shouting DAZN = no more PPV fights.

Was always gonna happen.

N17 likes this.
  2. unfriendlyorchid

unfriendlyorchid Probably moaning about Sky Sports Full Member

Jul 20, 2021
    Didn’t say anything against any of that mate.

What I said was that it isn’t just DAZN or Hearn who treat punters like mugs.

Warren and BT put on dismal cards - almost anything worth watching is PPV. BT Sport was free for BT customers at the start.

Sky pioneered pay broadcasting. Remember that Sky Sports was part of the standard package when it launched. Sky put lots on PPV before Hearn was even a thing.

DAZN aren’t any different. Treat them all the same if you dislike what DAZN are doing.

N17 likes this.
  3. TBC-ASAP

TBC-ASAP Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 7, 2017
    With BT I pay monthly because they have other things I watch, sky I only pay for when test cricket is on

N17 and unfriendlyorchid like this.
  4. unfriendlyorchid

unfriendlyorchid Probably moaning about Sky Sports Full Member

Jul 20, 2021
    I have both packages too fwiw, but am increasingly frustrated at the price I’m paying. Well over £60 for a relatively limited number of hours a month of content I want to watch. When the football season is over, I’m paying that money for boxing and a bit of golf. Complete rip off.

I cancelled DAZN for three weeks before my renewal while they have a dry period, will restart for Whyte Wallin. This flexibility is their biggest selling point for me.

If my contract for Virgin ended today, I’d cancel both BT and Sky, and dip in and out via digital subs when needed.

We all judge platforms by different standards, and as DAZN only show boxing here and Hearn is so polarising, we judge them super harshly.

N17 likes this.
  5. chrisfinch

chrisfinch Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Yep, Golden Boy and DAZN are finished. The only GBP fighters DAZN had any interest in over the last three or four years were Canelo, who has now left, Garcia, who likely is on his way, and to a lesser extent Munguia and Ortiz Jr.

Oscar is pissed with them so will want to go elsewhere, and DAZN won’t care.

N17 likes this.
  6. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    I m usually a big eddie hearn defender and dont have a problem with a ppv platform. People need paying afterall...but we know where this is heading. Anything above mediocre will end up on ppv dazn. The subscription will be used to build the fighters onto ppv. Its just the same format we,ve been seeing for years.

The writings on the wall with the recent fowler v smith card the other week. Eddie was talking about it like it was joshua v fury...with a stacked undercard where in honesty it was a slightly overmatched opponent who hasnt beat anyone against a guy thats essentially failed at world level. Decent enough card but it should be a filler for a 7.99 subscription.

Gatekeeper, N17 and nurological like this.
  7. alpo1

alpo1 #TeamShanny Full Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Maya Jama and cameos by the chicken shop girl

caine, aaaaa, BXNG101 and 1 other person like this.
  8. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Spot on. Card like Saturdays should be the norm and not seen as a special present to the fans.

aaaaa, bbjc and N17 like this.
  9. Puroresu_Fan

Puroresu_Fan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 6, 2016
    It doesn't make sense if it went down that route. If that really was the case then why would matchroom leave sky? With Sky Hearn had his dates, a bigger TV audience and his ppv platform.

It doesn't make any sense why Hearn would leave sky to go to a new smaller platform but now he has to put on more ppvs.

Eddie Hearn may be a lot of things but stupid isn't one of them. The amount of ppvs DAZN have ultimately will be determined by how how many times AJ fights next year if they sign him.

Other than that Fury vs Whyte if they could get the rights. I really don't see that many ppvs on the horizon simply because you still need to generate ppv buys and that requires stars.

The same stable which Hearn had with sky doesn't suddenly become ppv attractions for DAZN.

N17 likes this.
  10. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Just about to watch Hearn on IFL, the headline is "Hearn on Fury-Wilder, .... DAZN PPV backlash"

So I'll probably have something to say after I've watched it :lol:

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  11. N17

Feb 16, 2013
    Legs Are Shaky Adam, Legs Are Shaky..

Oh dear, well the way I heard it, Hearn just said to make the "mega fights" DAZN will need the ability to do PPV.

We've heard this before on Sky, they would only do the "mega fights" on PPV and we end up with Chisora Usyk on PPV, Parker Chisora PPV and so on.

We had so many PPV events that were quite clearly not "mega fights" and then justified by saying "we need to pay the fighters"

So DAZN are going to do exactly the same, like I said yesterday, DAZN have their eyes on AJ and £8 a month isn't going to cut it, so they will start out by doing PPV for AJ and within 12 months Conor Benn on PPV, we all know how this ends.

So if you've subscribed to DAZN then in my opinion you've been mugged.

caine, Gatekeeper and CutThroatFade like this.
  12. Coybig

Coybig Member Full Member

Feb 22, 2020
    Beatiful

Terminator likes this.
  13. Willis Brown

Willis Brown Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2017
    I didn’t think it possible but Hearn seems to be going further up the river without a paddle ! There is one thing being a flim flam man bigging up bang average fighters but to forget your comments on the PPV fiasco that DAZN seem to be pushing is pretty poor. I thought Matchroom were making a mistake leaving the relative safety of the SKY platform now I am certain it will end in tears for them.

14. N17

Feb 16, 2013
    In my opinion this interview with Hearn is almost car crash, the lack of self awareness is outstanding.

The hypocrisy is outrageous.

From Fury and mandatory opponents, considering Hearn was out before Usyk saying "we are tried of being told what to do"

To Benn and he isn't ready for Avanesyan, although if Kelly had beat Avanesyan then it would have been Kelly Vs Benn.

Benn has swerved Avanesyan, it's actually embarrassing, after all the crap he's spoken it's bordering on cowardice.

Coybig and aaaaa like this.
  15. I Shot JR

I Shot JR Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2012
    I think Hearn knows more about the DAZN/BT situation than he is letting on- if DAZN takes over BT and the majority of it’s rights then eight quid is more than reasonable as a monthly sub, if DAZN just shows domestic level boxing at eight quid a month (as at present) with occasional PPVs then obviously that’s a very poor offering.

Hearn clearly went with DAZN because it was prepared to pay vastly more than Sky for his content. It strikes me that he’s taken the money and hoped to figure out the planning of events later.