DAZN raising a monthly price; New pricing plans

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by minemax, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    That's funny. I hear you, brother. I have no idea why they're featuring that guy. No clue.

2. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    They will probably drop the price if they get too little new subscribers or with temperary pricecuts.
    But they can't possibly be out of money already, because they hardly spend any yet. Canelo had one fight on Dazzun and Golovkin just recently signed on, so that's zero fights thus far.
    And the guys they had on don't make 10 million a fight or something ridiculous like that.
    They're just adjusting and that's a bad sign, but the idea they alteady run out of money is insane, as they just started.

The Malibu Mauler and Boon like this.
  3. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018

This.

9.99 is your headline grabbing initial price point. You try and encourage as many early adopters as possible and you make it cheap for them because you have little content as yet and there will be some inevitable technical teething troubles as you bed in your new infrastructure and systems.

They're now moving into a new phase. They change the pricing structure to heavily incentivise annual subscription, making that cheaper than the opening offer and hoping to steer as many as possible into an annual subscription. That helps their cash flow and lets them make decisions on long term content budgets etc.

4. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    That's not on DAZN. It's on the ESPN+ app. Which is $4.99 a month.

DAZN just has the Asian Silver Lightweight fight, at 2:30 a.m.

5. pernellaaron

pernellaaron Active Member Full Member

Jan 8, 2008
    My mistake, was looking at the boxing schedule for this weekend and saw two cards on DAZN, the ESPN card must have been the only one to stick out.

6. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Maybe in part cause theres some US talent at super featherweight? Hoping to lure Davis or Berchelt for unification? Whichever they're hyping him but I don't see it...

7. minemax

minemax Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 10, 2017
    He's an American, has some name recognition already and his contract is (relatively) cheap, I'm sure.

8. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    They're all over the place.

ESPN+ app has the Gorman fight. ESPN has the Pulev fight.

I like all the options. I like being able to watch fights from around the world.

But I thought DAZN was pushing it by charging $9.99 and not having anything else on most days, while ESPN+ and the Showtime app have live stuff on 24 hours a day.

Now DAZN is doubling the price, but they still don't have any programming on most days. I think they've overreached. They have with me.

9. madballster

madballster VIP Member Full Member

Jul 21, 2009
    This is a planned price increase most likely.

Badbot likes this.
  10. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    I have zero interest in Tevin Farmer. None. But he seems to fight on DAZN in the US more than anyone. And that isn't good.

11. lewis gassed

lewis gassed The Bronze Dosser Full Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Good post, in US if you get DAZN yearly and ESPN+ that's still only 13$ per month.
    Why would anyone buy Showtime or FOX PPV?

Badbot likes this.
  12. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Probably realised it's going to take more money to lure Wilder out of his hiding hole, so had to raise prices to pay for their next offer which will be for a bajillion dollars.

Jackstraw, Sheikh, Mr Icaman and 3 others like this.
  13. Costo

Costo New Member banned Full Member

Mar 1, 2019
    How exactly did Wilder know they were going broke and going to suddenly increase the monthly fee to $19.99? I think the timing of this is very telling, what a coincidence they announce this a couple of days after Wilder rejected DAZN. They offered Wilder the $100 mil offer before they announced this increase. I think Al, Finkel and Lou Di Bella will be having a nice glass of champagne celebrating tonight.

pacas likes this.
  14. Badbot

Badbot I Am An Actual Pro. Full Member

Apr 17, 2011
    It's actually cheaper now. 99.99 for the whole year, so about 8.30 a month.
    But the monthly subscription for new users will go up to 19.99

And those who have already signed for the 9.99 will have the same price for an entire year.

majypoo and Bigdog2002 like this.
  15. Badbot

Badbot I Am An Actual Pro. Full Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Anyone know what the prices are for other countries?