DAZN set to buy BT Sports

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by TBC-ASAP, Sep 21, 2021.

How Much will a month Sub be?

1. £15

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  2. £20

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  3. £25

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  4. £30

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  5. £40

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  6. £50

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  1. Bumnard_Hopkins

Bumnard_Hopkins Burger King banned Full Member

Jul 13, 2021
    What a stupid statement.

2. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    If this happens then Sky Sports could be in real trouble, they may have to lower prices (I don't see how) or lose subscribers.

3. bladesman

bladesman Active Member Full Member

May 31, 2015
    Why? Dazn would be charging around what bt currently do

N17 likes this.
  4. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    They could easily cut costs with all those hangers on paid a fortune - boxing commentary and football commentary for starters.

Remember Keys and Gray done the job for years now there is a studio full of people including women to tick the boxes.

crixus85, Safin, rezzer and 1 other person like this.
  5. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    They'll be fine. People were saying the same thing when BT Sport started up, as long as Sky have the monopoly on PL games they'll still be the boss when it comes to sports broadcasting in the UK and don't forget they're backed by Comcast who are a huge, huge US company think they're even richer than the DAZN investors.
    As I understand it if/when this sale happens it'll be just a case of the current BT Sport TV programming and studios being re-branded as DAZN Sports but otherwise business as usual.

N17 likes this.
  6. rezzer

rezzer Active Member Full Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Once again the legend that is Jurgen is bang on the money. I watch Keys and Gray on Bein Sports sometimes and they are fantastic . Not afraid to criticise , they have a right go at the football authorities etc, very entertaining and often enlightening. The pathetic box tickers we have now including the women are an embarrassment to the business and I say this as a card carrying lefty liberal.

7. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Good business move by DAZN. They just need to be careful to not overpay for BT sports + they need a good strategy for integrating in the best people/teams from BT sports and dumping the rest.

I would purchase BT sports, split it in half. Then sell the bad half off or create a separate entity so it could just slowly fade away by itself.

8. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    Those 2 guys were very good at the job.

My ears burst listening to the like of Karen Carney where she simply does not have a clear voice and some of the comments are just laughable. Then we have Alex 'I agree with Graeme' Scott in the studio '.

There has been an ever increasing army of pundits on Sky for years now adding little value and no wonder the subs are so high. Thierry Henry's finest moment was stroking Carragher's leg but what a boring pundit.

rezzer likes this.
  9. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Keys is a proper scumbag and Gray thought he was the god of football. Don't miss those 2 at all.

10. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Andy Gray was an excellent player in his day.

Jurgen likes this.
  11. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    I used to like Gray's genuine enthusiasm for the game and Keys played a good role as sidekick until that day they verbally abused the female linesman - feet did not touch the ground going out the Rodney Marsh exit door.

12. hobby rider

hobby rider Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 4, 2020
    Just get women to present everything. They look better and you don’t have to pay them as much. Win win.

moog and Jurgen like this.
  13. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    Equal Pay these days mate.

I don't mind a female being there on merit but Sky really don't care about career trajectory and experience.

14. kobashi

kobashi Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Really don't understand this post. How would DAZN buying BT sport effect sky sports in the near future. DAZN would have the same rights as what BT have with the bonus of matchroom boxing. Do you think people are gonna dump sky sports when they still have pick 1 premiership games for next 3 years.

If that was the case why didn't BT sport see this huge influx of new subscribers who have dumped sky sports??

Also don't for one minute think you will be getting DAZN for £7.99 long term. If they buy BT sport and keep all the same rights I give it 6 months max before price increase.

15. Puroresu_Fan

Puroresu_Fan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Not that soon for current subscribers. New subscribers yes but I expect current subscribers to have the £7.99 locked until at least August to coincide with the new football season.

We don't know if the rise to £7.99 was done as a view to the BT Sport acquisition.

Also the annual raising of prices for OTT services usually comes after a huge userbase is produced.

Looking at netflix there were four price increases for its service within the 58 months from April 2014 to January 2019 and even then you are looking at $1 extra a time.

DAZN from here out should see incremental increases every 12-24 months depending on what they are spending on content.

Remember rights deals are locked for multi year periods so the actual outlay spent on rights shouldn't be a huge yearly thing so subscribers shouldn't see the price continuing to go up.

Sports rights fees should actually start to come down with a market correction so whether its sky or BT they can't use that as an excuse to pass the cost on to the consumer.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021