DAZN UK launch

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by TBC-ASAP, Mar 2, 2020.

1. TBC-ASAP

TBC-ASAP Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 7, 2017
  2. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Ill be signing up if the boxing content matches what is on in America and its a decent price. Wonder if we will get all the back catalogue too?

3. Willis Brown

Willis Brown Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2017
    Not sure how Matchroom can have a foot in both Sky and DAZN camp in UK ? Everything as far as punters are concerned is about content £4.99 a month seems reasonable and I am sure both SKY and BT are concerned about their respective business model being threatened. Amazon are also becoming a player in sporting events.

4. Puroresu_Fan

Puroresu_Fan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Canelo v Saunders maybe outside the matchroom/Sky deal as the fight will be a Golden Boy promotion.

Any matchroom promoted shows will not be effected until the contract is up.

That report says £4.99 a month which I can believe but that would change if they get premier League football. No way would it be that cheap with football.

Scissors and Oreet Cha! like this.
  5. Astaxanthin

Astaxanthin Active Member Full Member

Dec 28, 2014
    It says:

Hopefully an agreement can be made with Sky/Matchroom/DAZN and DAZN will start showing everything (probably with a higher cost). I would sign up instantly for a yearly package. I don't have Sky and I'm never going to get Sky, I only want to watch boxing.

Sky should offer individual online sport passes as a monthly subscription, they could have discounts if you subscribe to multiple sports. At the moment a sports pass with Now TV is £33.99 a month, very bad value for boxing only fans.

6. TBC-ASAP

Sep 7, 2017
    This is my difficulty with Sky. Cricket and boxing, very expensive for just them two sports.

7. TBC-ASAP

Sep 7, 2017
    Adam Smith will be seething wont he?

8. dryzer

dryzer Active Member Full Member

Sep 12, 2017
    if true surely sky will be looking to get another promoter involved instead of matchroom? MTK?

LoadedGlove likes this.
  9. Puroresu_Fan

Apr 6, 2016
    Problem with that it is rights fees are so expensive that certain sports won't get the returns individually.

10. Puroresu_Fan

Apr 6, 2016
    https://media.dazn.com/en/press-rel...nding-to-more-than-200-countries-territories/

Boxing service which explains the price.

This first phase of DAZN’s global expansion will be an English-language service focused on boxing, building on the company’s significant investment in the sport over the past two years. DAZN holds international rights to many of the world’s top promotional companies including Golden Boy Promotions, Matchroom Boxing USA and GGG Promotions. Fighters such as Alvarez and Gennadiy “GGG” Golovkin will be part of a robust year-round portfolio of premium fights and original programming on the new service.

11. I Shot JR

I Shot JR Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2012
    For a fiver a month I doubt much bar boxing is getting shown initially.

I suspect the US cards will be shown on DAZN UK and Sky and UK cards will just be shown on Sky whatever the Mail says.

Interesting times ahead as Sky/BT are going to face an uphill struggle convincing people to pay £30 plus a month for a selection of sport when most people only are interested in football and/or another sport. Good news if you just follow boxing.

neverheardofher and im sparticus like this.
  12. Gregor1987

Gregor1987 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Could just be that we end up getting the US shows on DAZN but the UK shows stay on Sky. Still get AJ/Whyte on Sky PPV.
    I reckon if you want to watch every show you’re going to end up paying more as the US shows will no longer be on Sky so it’s an extra £4.99 per month.

Bobo Balde likes this.
  13. Gregor1987

Gregor1987 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 14, 2011
    On May 2nd maybe it’s pay £20 to see Povetkin vs Whyte and then another £5 to see Canelo vs BJS.

14. UKboxingfan

UKboxingfan Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Eddie leaving sky then surely? Conflict of interests there.

15. Puroresu_Fan

Apr 6, 2016
    I don't think the matchroom USA shows would be included.

When Hearn announced that DAZN deal he said all shows would be on Sky but then again that press release does mention Matchroom USA.

How many shows do Golden Boy promote a year? Without matchroom USA there isn't the content is there?

I Shot JR likes this.