December 6, 1969 Liston KO by Leotis Martin

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, Dec 5, 2018.

1. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    This content is protected

And to think, had Liston not mysteriously died, a fight between him and Frazier was slated tentatively for 1971.

Rock0052 and Reinhardt like this.
  2. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Looked like Sonny just ran outta gas

Hookandjab and mcvey like this.
  3. young griffo

young griffo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2006
    Brutal KO this one.

Liston was legitimately unconscious here and Martin though a good puncher was still a sub-200 pounder when they met.

Sonny (though never real fast) had slowed a lot and was simply no longer a top echelon fighter by 1969 although still formidable. I'd favour Ellis, Quarry and Frazier over him here.

If the proposed Frazier fight in 1971 had eventuated then I think Sonny would have been destroyed. Prime4prime is a different fight completely though.

4. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    What was Sonnys real age by then. 45?

mcvey and InMemoryofJakeLamotta like this.
  5. GoldenHulk

GoldenHulk Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 7, 2007
    Sadly after scoring this huge upset Leotis Martin never fought again due to a detached retina.

6. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Yeah....that would have been the fight that sealed Liston's fate and sent him into retirement once and for all.

7. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Liston fought really well in this fight, but caught by a great shot.

It's one of the few cases where the man who got knocked out took much less damage than the man who knocked him out.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  8. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Yes he just expended too much energy trying to get Martin out of there.

Reinhardt likes this.
  9. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    A rather inconvenient fact I think!

robert ungurean likes this.
  10. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Could Leotis have been a champion?

GoldenHulk likes this.
  11. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I feel he fell a bit short.Ellis beat him in the tournament Leotis suffered a badly cut lip.I saw Martin beat Thad Spencer at the RAH it was fight of the year in the UK!

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  12. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Detached retina ended a lot of careers in those days.

13. jowcol

jowcol Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    By the mid-rounds, Sonny began to bleed badly from the nose and mouth, much like Leotis did against Ellis.
    Given all Sonny's 'demons' his post-Ali career wasn't anything to write home about. The last thing to go in a fighter is his punch which Sonny showed in his comeback but...the only big win he had was against the rising young contender Henry Clark.
    Always liked Leotis, a rather small heavy but in researching his career he warrants respect.
    Watch the Ellis fight again. Don't know why he was body punching Ellis so much early in the fight; IMO he seemed to be finding his groove by the mid-rounds before the stoppage.
    He went 'globe trotting' after Ellis trying to, I can only assume, build a resume. Look at his wins, and losses in context and I'm seeing a solid contender who may have contended into the early seventies sans the detached retina.

14. louis54

louis54 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 20, 2013
    I think most like me who first saw listo n laying there live on tv hought he threw another fight...no after awhile it was legit

Colonel Sanders likes this.
  15. timmers612

timmers612 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Foremans recounting of his meeting Sonny in the dressing room after the bout had a lasting affect on him. Sonny had told the young George he wasn't afraid of anything and losing wouldn't bother him but George found Sonny crying and realised he had lied. Sonny told George he had the flu and was weak as an explanation.