Definitely fixed fights?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by cross_trainer, Feb 5, 2022.

1. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Which fights were almost certainly fixed? Admissions under oath from the participants, criminal investigations, that kind of thing?

Name the fights in history where we basically KNOW the fix was in.

BoB Box likes this.
  2. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    Lamotta vs Billy Fox for sure

Ali vs Liston II but it was never proven that Liston took a dive although multiple people have said that he admitted it and he certainly was involved with the mob.

I'm sure there have been plenty that we will never know about.

3. johnmaff36

johnmaff36 Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Regarding Ali v Liston 2, its been 57yrs since that fight and not 1, NOT 1, piece of evidence has been uncovered. Not 1. No bookies showing massive betting changes nor strange betting patterns. Not 1 shred of evidence has been uncovered in 57yrs. You'd think we'd have some kinda evidence to go on but alas not 1 bar hearsay and conjecture. Im not doubting Sonny 'swallowed' it when knocked down, but a pre arranged agreement is nothing short of fantasy and im open to be proved wrong, or even open to a reasonable argument

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
    SomeFella, NoNeck, Stevie G and 7 others like this.
  4. ThatOne

ThatOne Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 13, 2022
    According to Liston's wife, Geraldine, Sonny told her he could have got up but when you get up you have to put one hand on the canvas and he was afraid Ali was crazy enough to hit him while he was defenseless. When I shared that with Jonathan Eig on Twitter who wrote a 661 page book on Ali and was the main consultant for Ken Burns's documentary he agreed. He also agreed with my observation that if the fight continued it would end like the first one with Sonny eating a lot of leather so he had motivation to stay down.

KidGalahad and Pugguy like this.
  5. johnmaff36

johnmaff36 Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 5, 2009
    with all due respect mate, and i really mean that, just because someone wrote a book doesnt necessarily make their point any more valid. Im sure hes a fine fella but his opinion is no more valid than yours or mines, even though i personally may agree with his opinion, but thats all it is, is an opinion. It really is a case of Occums Razor, again in my opinion. Theres no smokin gun or lee harvey oswald to help any argument. Its actuallu pretty straight forward, but thats just my opinion mate

rinsj likes this.
  6. djanders

djanders Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Luis Resto Ends Boxing Career of Undefeated fighter by Using Illegal Pads
    1. "Undefeated Billy Collins Jr. (14-0, 11 KO) was a junior middleweight (154 lb.) prospect on his way up.

Luis Resto (20-8-2, 8 KO) was a light-punching journeyman.

Resto beat Collins' eyes shut and his skin purple and blue. Collins suffered a torn iris and his vision was forever blurred. Collins could no longer fight.

Collins' father and trainer Collins Sr. went up to shake Resto's hand out of sportsmanship, only to be overcome with rage at how thin Resto's glove was. He demanded the gloves be impounded.

Resto's padding had been removed, and Resto himself admitted years later that his handwraps had been soaked in plaster of Paris, a substance that hardens into plaster casts.

Collins began drinking and became violent without boxing in his life.

He would later drive his car into a cement wall in 1984, ending his life at age 22.

Resto and his trainer, Panama Lewis, were banned for life from the sport.

Resto served 2 1/2 years in prison for assault, while boxing suffered a tragedy that shows just how dangerous cheating can be in this sport."

That's a fixed fight in my book. Source:
      This content is protected
      For some weird reason I don't seem to be able to post the source for this quote. It's

2. bleacherreport.com/articles/965780-13-most-shocking-scandals-in-boxing-history
    3. with https://www. in front of that.

rinsj, Keleneki, Flash24 and 7 others like this.
  7. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 I’m become seeker of milk Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    The majority of the Murderers Row where willing to take dives the Cocoa Kid had his licence suspended he was such a terrible actor or was that Lloyd? Or both? I found it admirable given the circumstance of the times Burley said he always took the rough path and refused to take a dive. Aren't there some people among us here who think Jake didn't dive against Billy Fox?

Fergy and cross_trainer like this.
  8. AwardedSteak863

Aug 16, 2018
    Re-read my comment. I said it was never proven. Did you watch the Liston documentary on Showtime? How about the book that is in my avatar? It has been widely suspected for years but at this point, we will never know the truth.

It's been years since Jimmy Hoffa disappeared but I think most would agree the mob was behind that. Do you not agree that the way Liston lost was suspect? It is well documented that he was involved with organized crime.

9. ThatOne

Jan 13, 2022
    I read the account from Liston's widow. For the life of me I couldn't find it again. The knockdown was legit. It's easy to get knocked down if you're off balance. The question is could he get back up and if he could back up and didn't why didn't he. His wife's account of what he told her makes as much sense as any.

Flash24 likes this.
  10. AwardedSteak863

Aug 16, 2018
    I don't know if I buy that one. Have you ever seen Clevand Williams vs Sonny Liston? He went through hell in that fight and fought like he had zero ****s to give. It was a legit knock down but certainly a punch that he could have gotten up from.

11. ThatOne

Jan 13, 2022
    I want to be accurate. The account of why he didn't get back up is from his widow. He thought Ali would wallop him as he tried to get up. Alididn't go to a neutral corner after he knocked him down and that's when Jersey Joe Walcott who was the refereee got flustered. It was my inference that he didn't want to eat any more leather.

AwardedSteak863 likes this.
  12. ThatOne

Jan 13, 2022
    If you get a chance watch Assault In The Ring on Showtime. It's a documentary on the fight. Luis Resto was racked with guilt. Panama Lewis couldn't give a ----. Total scumbag

13. AwardedSteak863

Aug 16, 2018
    It's certainly possible. It's just hard for me to believe especially after knowing he fought with a broken jaw against Machen and how he behaved against Williams. Even his last fight against Leon's Martin he ate some huge shots before going down.

Guru88, Reinhardt and White Bomber like this.
  14. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    Ali vs Liston II

Marvelous Mauler likes this.
  15. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    Danny Green vs Paul Briggs might be the most blatant fix i've ever seen.

Terror and KO KIDD like this.