Degale or Groves who do you rank higher?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Young Terror, Mar 25, 2022.

Who do you rank higher ?

This poll will close on Mar 25, 2032 at 9:28 AM.
  1. James Degale

2. George Groves

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. LeavemealoneKoooogs

LeavemealoneKoooogs A cacophony of noise! Full Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Groves by a whisker for me. James had the more natural talent but Groves utilised his assets better. As far as who had the better career....Degale probably had the better high profile wins but Groves was unreal in Froch 1 in terms of rising to the occasion...I'm rambling now. This is a difficult one!

Noel857 and Young Terror like this.
  2. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    I see James being ultra disciplined for this one. He'd have took Kessler too. I really believe that on his best day and focused he outclassed them.

Nobody on earth gave Groves a chance. Yet he embarrassed Froch until he never. Degale was just as spiteful and had a much better gas tank.

3. Punchdrunk1

Punchdrunk1 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 2, 2019
    Are you serious?
    Lazy Degale would have got knocked spark out by Froch when he was looking for a few rounds rest

lepinthehood likes this.
  4. Brixton Bomber

Sep 21, 2013
    He never got stopped in his prime and his slickness would be too much for Carl.

Accurate likes this.
  5. fenoc1

fenoc1 Active Member Full Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Maybe maybe not. But he did chin Groves twice.

6. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Degale had a nice tidy run in the States but got beaten by Badou Jack and Durrell was the aggressor even it that win. No way on this planet would hold of froch.

7. Punchdrunk1

Punchdrunk1 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 2, 2019
    I think Froch was very underated. He wasn't slick but was tough as ****, hit hard, with a great chin and engine.
    Too much for Chunky

Furey, Wizbit1013 and Brixton Bomber like this.
  8. Gazanta87

Gazanta87 Member Full Member

May 18, 2019
    I always thought Groves was better, backed the points win 12/1 ludicrous looking back, would love too of seen degale take on Kenny Anderson

Guru88 likes this.
  9. Guru88

Guru88 Active Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2020
    Groves, earned more cheddar, battered Froch in the first fight and got it took away from him, beat Degale and also had some solid wins like Chudinov Eubank Cox Murray etc. Groves was better to watch aswell, I liked his jab and his powerful right hand, explosive, particularly a younger groves. I actually think both slightly underachieved, Degale could look fantastic for 1 minute of a round and then lie on the ropes doing nothing for the next 2 minutes, groves had the speed and power to be a real force, and I think he might have been if Howard foster didn’t jump in and groves went on to win that fight, who knows what he might have done, maybe his chin and stamina would’ve always been his downfall but I think the groves of that Froch fight was a hard man to beat

10. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Although DeGale was slightly more the talented of the two. He was never going to maximise his talent due to his party lifestyle outside of the ring, and Conservative somewhat lazy nature inside of it.

Groves achieved more and will be ranked higher when the ATG lists are collated.

Skyver likes this.
  11. Brixton Bomber

Sep 21, 2013
    He was underrated to a degree, but he still came up short or could come up with a good game plan. I just think he'd get outclassed here.

12. BoxingAddick

BoxingAddick Active Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2021
    To be fair the rope sitting only really happened after his knee injury.

13. BoxingAddick

BoxingAddick Active Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Agreed, Degale would be cannon fodder if he sat on the ropes against Froch.

14. DoubleJab666

DoubleJab666 Dot, dot, dot... Full Member

Nov 9, 2015
    Don't you agree Froch's main strength was to take fighters to places they physically weren't prepared to go? DeGale took rounds off in nearly all his fights, so this seems to be his kryptonite. I'd credit Chunky for staying the full 12 rounds against Eubank when it was clear he was shot after the first, so he did have toughness. But Eubank isn't Froch, doesn't have his power and takes rounds off too...

Furey and Brixton Bomber like this.
  15. Brixton Bomber

Sep 21, 2013
    Like who? Kessler bested him, he was tentative against AA, drowned Bute (who was overrated), struggled with Ward, and only outlasted Groves but got a pasting.

He wasn't this overwhelming monster that some make him out to be. He's not like an Uysk, for example, who drowns you with Cardio and skill.

Here's Johnny likes this.