Degale v Groves

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by On_The_Ropes, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    I've heard a few people say the 168 division is poor at the minute but I'm loving it, particularly domestically with Degale, Groves and Smith. You've got Eubank Jn pretending to be a genuine 168 but he's a name that gets people talking. You have Ramirez, Anthony Dirrell, Zeuge...a few of the veterans too and the one and only, legendary warrior...Paul Smith ;)

Jack just edged it against Degale and Groves imo but he didn't school them. They were quality fights.

2. Matt Petley

Matt Petley Active Member Full Member

May 19, 2017
    168 is actually a decent division, in the UK groves and degale are 2 good, not great champions. Callum Smith is highly rated and we'll find out how good he really is when he fights direll for worl title. Eubank Jr, although hes a bit of a twat, is an exciting fighter and him against any of the other 3 would be intriguing. Gilberto Ramirez is very good from what i've seen so any unifications with him would be good. and GGG may move up he beats canelo and then BJS, Although outside of the top 5 or 6 there isnt that much competition.

3. Here's Johnny

Here's Johnny Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 18, 2015
    How was it dubious Chudinov's head was getting pinged about like a speed ball and he didn't throw a punch back for about a minute wasn't it. Jack didn't school either, they were both very close. However, I do certainly share your lack of enthusiasm over Eubank Jr.

4. BigCal94

BigCal94 Member Full Member

Aug 4, 2016
    Groves is a bigger name than Degale in the UK and is MUCH more supported than Degale in England.
    The reception Groves got in Sheffield was unreal, whereas Degale is either booed or get a small smattering of applause.

Degale is very arrogant and it's quite easy to see why people don't like him... Even to the tune of his own promoter spilling the story of him demanding tickets for AJ fights and falling out over it.
    Degale went to the US to try and chase big checks and unfortunately for him his US career wasn't too great.

50/50 is the minimum Groves should get for this. I think Groves wins again too.

5. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    No way Degale deserves the bigger split in this fight, if he goes down that route then he’s looking for a way out.

Groves has the bigger profile, been involved in bigger fights, has beaten him twice and is a world champion in his own right.