Dempsey footage

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by apollack, Sep 6, 2019.

1. apollack

apollack Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Utter nonsense. Kearns and Dempsey refused to pay her anything.

George Crowcroft and louis54 like this.
  2. apollack

Sep 13, 2006

You are correct. The contemporary local reports do not support Dempsey's versions. The old story of my brother threw in the towel is just plain wrong.

Actually, Dempsey's versions of his own fights are kind of strange. He sometimes actually gives his opponents even more credit than the newspapers at the time did. He even claims to have lost fights that he won or got a draw, and he claims to have been beaten up and decked in fights where the local reports said he won and do not mention him getting decked multiple times the way he says he was. So his memory/recollection 25 years later (or more) can be kind of odd.

3. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Don't let facts get in the way of a good story!

George Crowcroft likes this.
  4. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Sounds like a good book, just compile all the wackiest stories, anecdotes and rumours.

Call it A Dubious History of Boxing.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  5. Chuck1052

Chuck1052 Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 22, 2013
    I had three different Jack Dempsey autobiographies. As I recall, the earliest one was published during the late 1930s. According to that autobiography, Dempsey visited Terry Kellar when Kellar was a patient in an institution. Also according to the autobiography, Kellar passed away after Dempsey visited him.

It does appear that Kellar was a patient in at least two state hospitals in California. He was a patient in the Stockton State Hospital For the Insane during 1930 and Camarillo State Hospital during 1940. Kellar (Roy Walter Keller or Terry Walter Keller) passed away on May 27, 1950 in Ventura County, where Camarillo State Hospital was located.

- Chuck Johnston

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    robert ungurean likes this.
  6. apollack

Sep 13, 2006
    I am aware of the 1940 autobio and the 1977 autobio.

7. HOUDINI

HOUDINI Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Seamust lying again.

8. HOUDINI

Aug 18, 2012
    Dempsey fought many many bouts and am sure got his wires crossed in terms of his memory concerning some of them.

louis54 likes this.
  9. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    There’s another autobio from the early 60’s.

robert ungurean likes this.
  10. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    Here are some quotes from an article printed in April 1928 in the Oregonian, the Chicago Tribune and several other papers...

"Maxine Dempsey, Supposed Burned to Death, Now Appears Alive"...

"It was the first appearance of Jack's former wife since she mysteriously dropped out of sight- over night- during trial of the then champion on slacker charges in San Francisco shortly after the world war.

"She was paid $1500 by Jack Kearns, then Dempsey's manager, for signing certain affidavits and fleeing jurisdiction of the courts, she said. Dempsey, through Kearns, had promised her $3500 more to be paid if he was acquitted of the slack charges, she declared, but this promise- among others - he apparently forgot.

'Three days after he married me he went broke... His only carress was dragging me by the hair. The rest of my affair with Jack must remain secret until after the papers in my case are filed by Mr. Harben. Once that is done, I will disclose things that will electrify the world.'"

11. HOUDINI

Aug 18, 2012
    Its been totally disproven but you present it as if a fact. It’s called lying.

12. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    Im just quoting sources. Is that lying? Are you insinuating that I am creating the quotes from whole cloth?

Do you care to offer a citatiom that disproves what was written im 1928?

Are you merely mansplaining, contending that you know better than Maxine, an abuse survivor? I thought the me too movement taught us always to believe the victims? That's not very righteous of you.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  13. HOUDINI

Aug 18, 2012
    This content is protected

14. HOUDINI

Aug 18, 2012
    Seamust had his head handed to him a few years ago with a similar insinuation. It appears there is strong evidence Maxine did not die in any fire and instead remarried and lived into the 1930’s. Seamust knows this but starts the same BS once again. Purpose? He gets his rocks off by making slanderous claims. Weirdo.

15. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    Are you fkking dense? The article i quoted says that she DIDNT die in a fire.

Reading Comprehension is not a river in Africa.

And again, I am quoting a contemporary article while you are merely bloviating.