Dempsey vs Liston

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by swagdelfadeel, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Pugilist_Spec

Pugilist_Spec Hands Of Stone Full Member

Aug 17, 2015
    Liston would beat him up, honestly. I don't think it would be all that close.

2. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Any clown that rates Corbett over Liston in 1971 is a liver spotted white dope.

mrkoolkevin likes this.
  3. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Too many on here don't know how to fight. Dempsey was the far greater technical fighter. Not close.

4. Perry

Apr 26, 2015
    Liston gave up the worlds hwt championship, the greatest prize in all of sports, sitting on his stool as a quitter. A fighter who is that quick to quit is not beating Jack Dempsey.

5. Pugilist_Spec

Aug 17, 2015
    On what basis? Liston was a great technical fighter. He had a sweet defense consisting of parrying, blocking and slipping, one of the best jabs of all time, he was GREAT at picking his shots, and was an excellent combination puncher.

6. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    7" reach advantage, 20lb weight advantage probably too much for Jack. I'd pick Liston by a stoppage but I do think Dempsey presents an interesting style for the Liston technique.

7. Perry

Apr 26, 2015
    Weight differences never bothered Dempsey. Reach advantage is negated by Dempseys low crouch and bobbing and weaving style. Far more advanced than Frazier or Marciano in this regard. Very quick to close the distance and get in close. At close quarters Liston will be able to do nothing vs Dempsey except take short shots of KO level power.

8. Perry

Apr 26, 2015
    Great technical fighter???? Louis was a great technical fighter. Tunney was a great technical fighter. Liston was no great technical fighter. One of the most predicable hwts ever to hold the hwt title. Once inside, and Dempsey would get there very quickly, Liston could do nothing but take punches Sharkey said....."I never thought any fighter could hit that hard". Punches Sharkey said were harder than those of Joe Louis. Now if you think a fighter who hit harder than Joe Louis could not KO Liston.....well... You just don't know the sport of boxing.

9. Pugilist_Spec

Aug 17, 2015
    Liston could do nothing? How about throwing an uppercut? Or a short hook? Or clinching? Nothing?

10. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Given that the best fighter he met with a serious weight or reach difference is Fulton, this is true but hardly definitive.

The reason Liston is winning the poll is a size and reach advantage.

This is obviously one of your more drunken claims, and not to be taken seriously.

11. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Liston would knock out Dempsey. That if Dempsey would get in the ring with him. He did have a aversion to fighting black fighters.

12. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Liston by ko.

He was too big for Jack and actually, imo, he was a better fighter than Jack.

Dempsey has quicker hands and quicker feet but he wasn't as intelligent a boxer and didn't have as good fundamentals.

Would Jack be able to slip under the jab? I don't know because Patterson was not able to slip under or even to back away and he was quicker than Dempsey.

13. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    You sound like a dolt when you start insinuating you are the only one who spent any time in and around the sport. I assume most of my fellow posters either competed as I did or have followed the sport, as I have, for decades.

Come up with some real arguments, point out some specifics and stop speaking in broad generalities.

Dempsey did some nice technical stuff and did some really poor technical stuff. And by the way, technique only gets you so far. If you can enforce your physical advantages on your opponent, you can make up for a lot of technical inadequacies.

14. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Yea and you're one of them, Dempsey in many ways was technically a mess.

15. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    This is a ridiculous statement.

Dempsey was one of the best finishers of all time.

Win lose or draw, he is going to bother you!