Dempsey vs. Lutrell (1940)

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by reznick, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Nighttrain

Nighttrain 'BOUT IT 'BOUT IT Full Member

Nov 7, 2011
  2. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Lutrell was trying to make a name for himself at Dempsey’s expense. He figured that Dempsey was old enough that he had a chance against him. He actually said before the fight “imagine the gate I could draw as the man who knocked out Jack Dempsey”. He used all means fair and foul to goad Dempsey into the fight, including assaulting him. Eventually Dempsey grew so tired of his behaviour, that he took the fight to teach Lutrell a lesson.

3. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    By greatness.

4. Boilermaker

Boilermaker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 6, 2004
    just did a quick search. If this is the assault you were talking about, it has fake written all over it. Wrestling might not have been open sports entertainment at the time, but it was still sports entertainment, a long time before it was openly acknowledged by the WWF/ WCW.

I agree with this article which was one of the few i could find in the Australian papers. It is difficult to imagine dempsey allowing him to get himself so rattled to let himself into a real fight.

5. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    As you suggest previously and I agree, it was a 'work'. The match/story was set up with the initial 'scuffle' and the fans/Dempsey got their payback with the match.

Dempsey probably got a decent payday for something less than 'light sparring'; the Ol' Cowboy played his part to perfection, and as the promoter almost certainly made more than the rest of the bill combined.

6. young griffo

young griffo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2006
    Says the Tony Tubbs fan.

7. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    There was no way this bout was faked. Dempsey was pulling no punches here....he could have killed that guy.

8. TBooze

Oct 22, 2006
    A pro wrestler in a fake fight? Rubbish! Next I will be saying it is the job/art of the pro wrestler to make the audience think it is very real...

9. Perry

Apr 26, 2015
    Please tell everyone the point in that fight where Dempsey pulled his punches.

10. TBooze

Oct 22, 2006
    He did not, but he did not fight all out. I have no doubt Lutterell was pretty tough and perfectly able to take a 45 year old Dempsey's punches at half pace, make the fight look good and have the 'perfect finish'; so the crowd goes home happy.

11. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Luttrell was getting his head punched in whatever way you slice it.

12. Perry

Apr 26, 2015
    Not going all out??????

Look again at that double left hook right hand combo right on the button. That's going all out.

13. TBooze

Oct 22, 2006
    No; Lutterell was a wrestler, he knows how to sell, as your comments show.

14. Perry

Apr 26, 2015
    Wow. Have you followed boxing for that short of a period that you do not understand the difference between pulled punches and those intended to do serious damage. Look at Lutrells face after the fight. No fake fight ends up with one fighter that beat up.

15. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    There's no greatness in an old pro boxer beating the cr*p out of guy who never boxed a day in his life.

Again, you are reading way too much into a piece of film. There is no magic there. You are fabricating it.