Denis Lebedev - Kostya Tszyu a disgrace

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by The Hayemaker, May 17, 2013.

1. Cannot see many boxers taking 10% of the pain he went through tonight and he still threw the kitchen sink at his opponent when looking like the elephant man.

Ironic that the man in his corner Kostya Tszyu is willing to let the man fight on after he fought like a fanny against Ricky Hatton and quit after taking about 1% of the pain Lebedev suffered tonight.

The actions of Tszyu and co in the corner has clearly risked significant long term damage to the health and career of a man with too much heart and courage for his own good.

2. Redwood

Redwood Active Member Full Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Tszyu was horrific, he had zero compassion for the health and safety of his fighter. The referee and "ring doctor" (doubt he was a doctor) also horrifically failed at their jobs to protect Lebedev's safety. I think any fighter who has Tszyu as his trainer, including Povetkin, who is now scheduled to face Wladimir Klitschko, should take a really long and hard look about whether they want a trainer who let one of his fighters go 5-6 rounds too long today, possibly resulting in a lost eye and a lost career.

3. Jquik

Jquik Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2013
    Cry me a river

This is boxing pain is the name of the game

4. phonk

phonk Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 19, 2007
    :patsch

Within reason. Lebedev's eye was cut badly in the first and had completely closed mid way through the 4th. He then continued to take punishment for another 7 rounds after that. Could have conceivably lost the eye by virtue of the punishment he was taking.

5. You are a first class anus mate who probably has not watched the fight.

6. He will be extremely lucky not to suffer permanent damage to the eye

7. I am a believer in freedom of speech and to not judge people on opinions but you my friend are quite clearly a ****

That was horrific,an injury that wasn't even inspected until the tenth round.disgusting

Yeah the pain game.yes but not at the expense of someone's health.we could of seen a career ending injury reminds me of margarito

Have you ever boxed?

8. bam bam

bam bam Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 30, 2010
    We don't know what was being said in the corner. For all you know Kostya could have wanted to stop the fight but Denis told him not to. Fans are never happy. Last week Gonzalez quits and everyone calls him a *****, this week Lebedev fights on until he has nothing left and his trainer is criticised.

9. Mugsy

Mugsy Guest

Bit of a difference there mate, seriously?

10. bam bam

Mar 30, 2010
    But the point is valid. If Lebedev had quit after 4 rounds today fans would criticise. Its just the way it is. Lebedev wanted to fight on, despite what his face looked like he was doing well and wasn't getting destroyed ala Briggs - Vitali.
    He's a warrior who wanted to go until he knocked the guy out or had nothing left himself. It was incredible. Its the way he is.

11. icemax

icemax Indian Red Full Member

Apr 24, 2008
  12. Leif Erikson

Leif Erikson Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 3, 2004
    I don't know who decided it was a good idea to stage a championship fight without a ringside doctor or referee.

13. Mugsy

Mugsy Guest

Lebedev was winning on all 3 cards. But look at the guys face, it seriously wasnt worth it. His corner should be ashamed.

A cut that bad, he was not going to last the full 12. In essence he fought on for nothing.

Anyone who would criticise for him quitting with his face like that is not boxing fan, in fact a troll or scumbag, but its irrelevant what fans think versus the fighters health!

Your health is your wealth, its not worth permanently damaging yourself /possibly ending your career for a fight.

14. bam bam

Mar 30, 2010
    I do agree with what you're saying but sometimes the trainer isn't in control over the fighter like he should be. Kostya may or may not have wanted to stop it. We just don't know. I will wait to see what he says before criticising him. The ref, on the other hand, should have taken a look much earlier.