Deontay Wilder - A mix of Thomas Hearns and The Prince Naseem Hamed

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by MVC!, Mar 20, 2019.

1. MVC!

MVC! The Best Ever Full Member

Nov 5, 2013
    red_roo and Dubblechin like this.
  2. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    That was an excellent clip. I agree with what he said about Breland.

3. Fpvanham

Fpvanham New Member Full Member

Apr 14, 2019
    I agree with the Hearns part; same physical profile (but much bigger), all about setting up KOs with his jab. There's a bit of a difference though in that Hearns would come out like a ball of fire in the first 3 rounds, and if he couldn't get you out of there, he'd get on his toes and start boxing. Wilder tends to start slower, probing with his jab to figure out his opponents defence, then eventually starts loading up right hands and left hooks and throwing them out the window, and he'll do that all the way to the final bell.

But Wilder is nothing like Naseem Hamed. What made Prince Naseem so unique is that he had incredible footwork and balance to open up angles for all that slipping and rolling he did, and even left himself open on purpose, to bait opponents into a predictable attack that he would avoid then counter. It's not only nothing like Wilder, it wouldn't make any sense for Wilder to fight like that with his gloves down: he has a big height and reach advantage over most heavyweights, his best weapons are straight punches and, to be honest, he's s%#t on the inside, so blocking, parrying, and controlling the range are more suited to his style.

4. madballster

madballster VIP Member Full Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Very similar to Hamed: Prefers to knock out an endless string of nobodies in front of his hometown fans. Gets outclassed by the first seasoned pro he faces.

5. ipitythefool

ipitythefool Prediction ? Pain Full Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Well he's just as incredibly annoying as Hamed and seems to have similar low IQ.

I guess he has a long reach like Hearns, but similarities end there.

6. madballster

madballster VIP Member Full Member

Jul 21, 2009
    highlander and George Crowcroft like this.
  7. FloatingGhost

FloatingGhost Some guy Full Member

May 16, 2012
    Throws huge stupid punches like hamed. Says incredibly stupid stuff like hamed. Is stupid like hamed. He’s nothing like tommy hearns unless you mean tall n long for the division.

madballster likes this.
  8. Kingmaffe

Kingmaffe Active Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2017
    This. I mean, have nobody here seen Hearns-Leonard I? Hearns was outboxing Ray Leonard for large portions of the fight, and could even adapt a stick-and-move style when he was hurt midway through.

Wilder is thin and has a great right hand. Hearns had SO much more than that.

ipitythefool likes this.
  9. Heavy_Hitter

Heavy_Hitter Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Flies like a butterfly, windmills like ... a wind mill, and at the same time

madballster likes this.
  10. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    He has a good jab, a brutal overhand and an underrated left hook, that's textbook Tommy Hearns

11. FloatingGhost

FloatingGhost Some guy Full Member

May 16, 2012
    Ok. If tommy was gangly and drunkenly uncoordinated. Christ.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  12. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    That would be textbook Wilder!

13. TheMotorCityCobra

TheMotorCityCobra Active Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Comparing Wilder, a guy who was outboxed by a soccer hooligan for 8 rounds, to one of the greatest boxers in the history of the sport, is completely ludicrous. The similarities end with skin color and build, period. Absolutely preposterous comparison.

madballster likes this.
  14. TheMotorCityCobra

TheMotorCityCobra Active Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2018
    He was up 2-3 rounds on all 3 cards when the fight was stopped. Tommy was never outboxed in his prime. Never.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  15. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I don't see Hearns being like Wilder much. Hearns was more coordinated with a lot of amatuer experience. In some ways Wilder's lack of experience helps his awkwardness, yet in a long fight against someone good he won't be able to get out of the way of punches. Hearns could because of his ability to box with 163 amatuer fights. The only similarity with Hearns is the height and power and speed, but I don't see the real comparison. Hearns was more professional and found opening in a breaking down sort of way. I don't see Hamed either. I don't see
    Hamed either who to me was more precise and sat down on his punches better. Those other guys were in lower divisions which couldn't have the defensive liability of Wilder.