Deontay Wilder vs Hughie Fury possible for February

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Tommy.™, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Tommy.™

Tommy.™ Active Member Full Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Hughie says Wilder wants to face him in February. Anyone give Hughie Fury a shot if this fight goes ahead? From what I've seen of Hughie he looks decent but he lacks power and this fight could be a bit too early for him. Would like to see him in with better competition before stepping up to face Wilder.

2. BigCal94

BigCal94 Member Full Member

Aug 4, 2016
    Think it's a tad too early for him, i'd imagine they'll try the exact same game plan Tyson did to Wlad.
    Problem is, Wilder is younger and isn't afraid to let his hands go like Wlad, all depends on how Hughie takes the shot.

3. ashishwarrior

ashishwarrior VIP Member Full Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Hughie as been touted for many big fights but they never ever happen

I'm told he as

This content is protected

mcvey likes this.
  4. FartWristedBum

FartWristedBum I walk this Earth like a bum Full Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Ha ha, nice! I doubt Wilder risks his belt on this but if the two ever meet, Hughie schools him all day. Pretty easy fight for Fury I feel. I know a lot of people are sold on Windmill-Wilder but I see massive limitations in his game someone as technically sound as HF will badly expose. As Dwyer might recommend: HF to win, hedged with DW by KO. Easy money...

Tommy.™ likes this.
  5. dellboi94

dellboi94 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 3, 2013
    I feel like I'm in the minority, but I really don't rate Hughie. He can box, but looks one paced and has little power. He's just an OK fighter imo.

Robney, N17 and Jeremy Kyle like this.
  6. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    I'm with you. I think he's technically quite decent but I don't think he has a very high ceiling.

Jeremy Kyle likes this.
  7. FartWristedBum

Feb 6, 2014
    RE Hughie Fury, before you call him average, take into account all you've seen of him has been hampered by a blood disorder. He's still very young for a hw and is dispatching capable grown men without being shaken or really showing notable flaws. The lack of drama should be a clue that he really is that good. Plus he trains day in, day out with a lineal title winning team. He's avoided badly I think, he'll do big things soon.

Tommy.™ likes this.
  8. ashishwarrior

Apr 19, 2010
    but its the same old story
    he is young
    he is developing
    he is ill
    he just needs time

then look at Joshua we can only keep listening to the same old same old for so long

9. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    I am with you Del, I'm not yet seeing what others are, I'm not saying Hughie can't end up being very useful but I haven't seen anything yet to suggest he is or is going to be a top level heavyweight.

10. FartWristedBum

Feb 6, 2014
    Hang on! Compare Joshua to Tyson Fury, not Hughie! They're a similar age. Btw, has Joshua beaten anyone Hughie couldn't? It's easier for Hughie to develop more pop than it is for Joshua to develop tactical awareness, legs, shot selection etc etc. Joshua gets found out soon enough I feel, I like his steez but he is the illusion IMO, not HF. Time will tell i guess...

11. dellboi94

dellboi94 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Well, Hughie could have fought Dillian Whytte but avoided the fight so we will not know.

12. ashishwarrior

Apr 19, 2010
    Meaning age and time frame
    If Hughie is miles ahead then I don't want to hear no more of the above

There is a time un ones life when it comes to put up or just shut up and I am getting to the point of the latter

13. Tommy.™

Tommy.™ Active Member Full Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Fair points there mate. I forgot he had that blood disorder so no doubt that's effected his performances and progress.

14. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    So the fighter who was not ready for Dyllian Whyte 6 months ago, is now going to be facing one of the objective top 5 in the division early next year?

This fight never happens.

15. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Deontay's resume is barely much better than Hughie's.
    He can punch though. Hughie can't punch, it seems. But then Hughie is possibly better boxer.

Wilder was brought along even slower than Hughie is.
    What's Hughie had ? 20 fights ? something like that.
    Wilder's first 20 were dreadful.
    Hughie's last opponent was as good a Wilder's last defence.

FartWristedBum likes this.