Deontay Wilder vs Hughie Fury possible for February

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Tommy.™, Dec 6, 2016.

1. FartWristedBum

FartWristedBum I walk this Earth like a bum Full Member

Feb 6, 2014
    True. I agree.
    But I would argue that time has not yet come if you are a 22 yr old contender, being guided slowly by a successful boxing family.

I dislike inactivity in boxing too, but HF is not holding a belt ransom, wasting his prime etc etc like so many 'champions' seem to do. He needs to stay healthy and keep people like you and me entertained over the next 10+ years not just get in big fights immediately.

2. FartWristedBum

Feb 6, 2014
    Some might suggest that chins exist........I'm not sold on Deontay's just yet, despite Stiverne's efforts.

3. ashishwarrior

ashishwarrior VIP Member Full Member

Apr 19, 2010
    I het it honestly but just say it
    We want to take our time to try and make him the best he can be , so he maybe could try some sort of reign I really do get that , I mean they got Tyson to the top so they have form
    Its the this and that , I mean on a real note its no ones fhooking business
    And by the way merry Christmas

4. The Nightfly

The Nightfly Tonight the night is mine Full Member

Mar 2, 2016
    Fury has some nice skills, he boxes well and has a fairly good amateur career.

But he hasn't developed enough to crack a nut and I don't think he has enough to keep wilder off.

Also we are yet to see him get put on his arse and his reaction so that has question marks.

It's a good fight though, even if he loses people will say it was too soon for him so what, win win for fury

5. Bent-nose

Bent-nose Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2012
    But Hughie's trainer did claim that he was going to be the youngest ever world heavyweight champion.

In reality, he ducked Dillian Whyte.

6. lawslaw

lawslaw Active Member Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Hughie can't fight until his drug ban is completed. His team talk about a lot of fights just to mask over this.

7. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Wilder is taller with a presumably longer reach.

I haven't seen all of HF's fights...as he fought anyone who has height advantage over him yet?

8. FartWristedBum

Feb 6, 2014
    Well, seems like the jury's out on Hughie's potential.
    I like his chances against Windmilder but he would be a rightful underdog.
    I get the feeling Wilder's team think this could be a safe-ish gateway fight into Britain and mega-fights with Haye, Joshua etc esp with T Fury at ringside.
    Styles make fights though and this could well backfire IMO.

9. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Both mediocre fighters just one is a bit less mediocre than the other.
    What has Hughie Fury done to warrant a shot at a belt? There again what has Wilder done to hold a belt.
    Fury will probably get sparked.

10. The Nightfly

The Nightfly Tonight the night is mine Full Member

Mar 2, 2016
    I can see fury getting stopped mid rounds from taking too many big shots.

That may ignite something in Tyson fury to return

11. Sugar 88

Sugar 88 The Empire Struck Back Full Member

Feb 4, 2012
    You think Hughie getting a beat down would spark Tyson into life like Creed's death did Rocky?

Twentyman likes this.
  12. B.A.S.

B.A.S. Active Member Full Member

Feb 24, 2012
    I know it's not what the Fury's will want as they seem to have a thing for HW, but could Hughie make Cruiserweight? Certainly seems like he has the frame for it. Why not box a few years at Cruiser, pick a title up there then move up when he's filled out a bit.

13. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Not only would Wilder out- hit the underpowered Hughie, he would outbox him too, he has a terrific jab,a mismatch.

lawslaw likes this.
  14. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    He's too big for cruiser. I've met him, he's big. I don't think he's 6'6 like they claim he is, but he's probably 6'4 and he's big-framed.

15. On_The_Ropes

On_The_Ropes Active Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2016
    From what I have seen I would pick Wilder by late stoppage, if Hughie had even average pop in his punches then I would give him a chance but boxing skill only gets you so far in the heavyweight division, without power you can't keep the top guys off you for 12 rounds.