Deontay Wilder vs Joe Frazier

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by KeedCubano, Jan 26, 2020.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I'm now leaning towards Frazier.

2. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Lol

3. sauhund II

sauhund II Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Trivia

How many REAL punchers on the Foreman level did Frazier meet ?

Is Wilder in pure power on Foremans level ?

Contrary to the the 33500 posts "expert" Johnny "Beerbelly" Thomachinski Wilder is the WBC champ

Wilder has ko'ed opponents with not just his right hand.......watch Ortiz 1 ......guess what punches did ortiz in x 3.....watch Fury....

Did Futch steer Frazier clear of Punchers ...yes or no

Did this so called defense genius who a old super dooper skilled , oh my god is he skilled, WK could not lay a glove on, called 6'9/260 Tyson Fury who was laid down and almost out by this "poor" fighter called Wilder......what gives......40% excuse, drugs booze and obese......lol

Did Fraziers face look like a moon crater when ever he met a opponent with a pulse ?

Was Wilder ever bounced around like a kid with glancing blows ?

How many of Fraziers opponents who were 6'4 and southpaws were carried out on a stretcher ?

How many of Fraziers KO victims were twitching like a dead body on the canvas ?

Please advise

mrkoolkevin likes this.
  4. The Slaps

The Slaps Win or lose, as long as you get the decision Full Member

Apr 8, 2018
    Off the top of my head Frazier fought Bonavena who had good power.
    There is different types of power and how it is used, you have boxers like Demspey, Tyson, Tua and to a lesser degree Bonavena who explode with a serious amount of power shots overwhelming their opponent with a barrage. You have patient big hail mary bangers like Wilder and Schmeling who when they connect clean, drop you dead. Then you have the the whopers like Foreman, Marciano and Liston who hurt with every punch, although I don't think anyone was at Foreman's level his jab could knock you out. Anybody who fought him said his punch power was unmatched.
    I think Wilders big right is more powerful than anything Foreman throws but everything Foreman throws is like lead hitting cardboard.

Different styles different fights. Fury played an old Wlad at his own game and beat him.
    Apart from Wilder catching Fury twice who was clowning around an awful lot, Fury made a mockery of Wilders boxing skills, he completley dominated the fight and had fun while he did so. Nobody in their right mind can give WIlder that fight unless they scored him two 10-0 for the knockdown rounds and the 2nd knock down, Fury came back and won the rest of the round.

Different style fighters, if you think a boxer is **** because they don't go around knocking out bum after bum then that's your opinion. Frazier was a pressure swarmer who could give and take a lot of punishment from accurate boxers, Wilder is not accurate. He is when he's patient with the big right but when he goes hell for leather he doesn't even punch with the glove, he slaps, forearms and everything in between, he looks like an under 10's with crazy arms.

That he is and legitamtely so, apart from maybe the dodgey result against Fury, but he won it fair and square vs Stiverne who was contender in waiting for Vitali before he retired. Although in an era with not a great selection of heavyweights he hasn't even defended it against top ranked heavy's apart from Ortiz x2, maybe Stiverne and Fury (robbed). I think WIlder has Joshua's number but Joshua has put up a far better resume in a shorter space of time.

Foreaman was wrong for Frazier, but Wilder in noway is wrong for Frazier. Frazier puts too much pressure on him and can get out of the way of his crazy arms or just go toe to toe and hurt WIlder with accurate hooks, Wilder will struggle on the inside and will eventually be forced to try and retreat behind the long jab, Fraziers height becomes an advantage to get in under the jab and continues to plug away round after round. Wilder is still dangerous against anybody because of that big punch, especially in later rounds when legs, arms and brains get tired.

swagdelfadeel and Gazelle Punch like this.
  5. blackfella96

blackfella96 Active Member Full Member

Jul 10, 2019
    7 inch height disadvantage and a 10 inch reach disadvantage are pretty huge for Frazier. Bob and weave defense can only take you so far but I see Frazier getting caught early... Obviously after making Wilder miss a few times.

mrkoolkevin and lloydturnip like this.
  6. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Hell of a matchup.

I’d put my money on Wilder, but I wouldn’t be confident.

mrkoolkevin likes this.
  7. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Prime Smokin Joe Frazier wins this one, he would put immense pressure on Deontay Wilder, from round 1, with his bobbing and weaving. Joe would target that thin rib cage with brutal left hooks. Frazier could not be intimidated, as a come backing Ali tried in vain, but to no avail. Wilder would make a good match of it though, but his power is nowhere near that of a prime George Foreman of 1973, to send Joe skating around the ring. Joe is not a 50 year old Luis Ortiz, but a finely conditioned heavyweight with heart and skill. Joe also had a better corner, comprised of Eddie Futch and Yank Durham. Joe pounds out a unanimous decision win.

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  8. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Frazier met only the one ,what I would call heavy duty puncher,Foreman. I feel Wilder is probably on a level with the very hardest punchers of all time.
    I've never called Frazier a defensive genius and I cannot recall anyone else describing him as such.
    I think Wilder shines best to advantage over taller more upright guys such as Ortiz,and Breazeale and that he may well struggle to find the shorter , bobbing and weaving Frazier's chin. Foreman threw looping shots from both hands and big uppercuts which Joe ducked into.George also continually pushed Frazier's back by his shoulders keeping him at the optimum range for his shots. Wilder is usually a sloppy finisher he fights nothing like Foreman,and is crap at inside work ,his punches are long and not especially well directed, his ko of Ortiz being an exception.
    Wilder's work rate is also very low, he does a lot of posturing in between throwing punches.
    Frazier would obviously try to get on his chest and go to work,inside laying that hook in there both up and down.
    I'd give him a real chance of being successful with this tactic as Wilder has glaring deficiencies in his game.
    If Wilder connects flush then its good night ,but Frazier wont have his head up like a street lamp asking to be tagged. I have usually been the first to state I think Frazier's power is rather overated.I would not expect him to stop Wilder who has given every sign of being durable,but that doesn't mean his workrate and continuous bombardment couldn't carry him to a decision.imo That's my rationale anyway.

9. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Not a fight to wager on.

10. young griffo

young griffo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2006
    Well said Mac and largely how I see it.

I think Joe was a genuine gruelling attrition puncher who was torture to fight (I heard an interview with Joe Bugner where he described Frazier as the ultimate physical test for a fighter for the full 3 minutes of every round). Deontay is a low output but chilling one shot KO artist.

I'd favour Joe's ability to take Wilders punching range from him and his fantastic inside game to lead him to victory either on points (and Wilder has given every indication he's durable so far) or a late TKO over a physically spent Wilder.

That said when you can whack like Wilder you're a chance with anyone.

11. sauhund II

sauhund II Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 8, 2008
    The Polish southpaw was clipped up close with a peach of a shot.......in Ortiz 1 he had him down and ultimately out with hooks and a uppercut and Ortiz does not present his his head on a platter and from pure skill point of view he is easily as skilled as Frazier plus both brought way more size /reach to the game.......he knocked down Fury with close shots.....the man has simply incredible heavy hands and not just a long range right.

We have to agree to disagree but Wilder will find Fraziers chin and then it is lights out, Frazier does not have the whiskers IMO.

As far as strength is concerned, Frazier was only able to somehow bully a faded Ali because Ali also let him........Foreman pushed him off like a fly........even comeback Foreman never man handled a upper level fighter like that, as a matter of fact the closest is crack head Cooper who pretty much quit but was never used as a bowling pin

Nobody has ever man handled Wilder, we are talking 6'5 to 6'9 240-260 pound fighters, nobody has ever rag dolled him despite being the lighter guy

Frazier was almost comically weak in the Strongman contest, I know it is not Boxing but still.....he aint man handling Wilder up close

So again IMO, up close or longe range this is a unwinnable fight for Frazier, he takes a nap.

12. Rock0052

Rock0052 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2006
    Everything people are saying about Joe being better is true.

Wilder still knocks him cold.

It's not a matter of lack of toughness from Joe; far from it. He's too tough and too willing with a ten inch reach disadvantage. Against Wilder, that's suicide. The home run right will land, and it won't be pretty when it does.

13. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Joe keeps getting back up.

swagdelfadeel and Rock0052 like this.
  14. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Beaten bigger me then wilder and more skilled. Not as big a right though.

15. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    This site is obsessed with either height or weight. Why bother having any boxing matches? Just give it to whomever is bigger because there is apparently no skill involved in boxing. sigh
    Someone mentioned it earlier and it’s true. Frazier is way to busy for Wilder. He EASILY gets inside and dominates. Actually I think he knocks him out inside of 6. Wilder isn’t a real champion and his resume is crap.