Deontay Wilder vs Joe Frazier

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by KeedCubano, Jan 26, 2020.

1. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Would Pep be an elite fighter today?

2. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Yeah I didn't get the Wilder knocks him out cold part either. He ain't doing what Foreman didn't.

3. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    The big 3 for me are Shavers, Liston and Foreman in that order.

4. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    I still say the bigger they are, the harder they fall. Fighters as you might say were real fighters back then, they had heart and better skill. Everybody fought everyone, no crying over purses back then.

5. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Yes, and carrying lot of surplus.

6. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    It would be tough because Wilder is not the lumbering strong guy Foreman is who would physically push Frazier back and punch.

7. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Lmfaio what HW has great stamina today? And yes the sport has evolved... to ****. These HWs are a joke.

8. Gazelle Punch

Aug 15, 2018
    That’s all a modern sized HW is in a nutshell.

9. Gazelle Punch

Aug 15, 2018
    I’ll give him credit he does have good heart and an excellent chin. But he doesn’t know how to properly use his height, has extremely poor stamina (although his power carries over that’s only because of his extremely poor punch output), and once again he has only been tested once with a good fighter and it was a travesty to call that fight a draw. I will possibly change my opinion if he KOs fury (which I’m picking him to do) AJ and maybe beats at least one more decent guy.

10. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Joshua?

11. Gazelle Punch

Aug 15, 2018
    Yes, even Joshua. To beat Ruiz he had to drop a lot of surplus.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  12. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    In fairness, it was surplus muscle. Wilder is the best example of a HW without much surplus right now.

13. Gazelle Punch

Aug 15, 2018
    Oddly his punch output Is extremely poor.
    Idk if that’s part of his style or he just gets winded to quickly...kind of a lull the opponent into false sense of security then wham. Idk he’s a unique fighter. I don’t hate Wilder I just want to see him fight better guys before I say he can beat Holmes or Frazier or Foreman. Guys who beat multiple highly rated fighters. Wilder has literally fought one really good opponent and it was a draw he didn’t deserve. I don’t question his power just his ability to successfully use that power against better opposition that has better chins, strategy, skills, and power themselves.

JC40, surfinghb1, mcvey and 1 other person like this.
  14. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    I think the energy involved in throwing a super power punch is MASSIVE. Look at Shavers...if he failed to knock someone out he would gas out pretty darn quickly. Foreman looked like he was trying to murder Ali, the punches he was throwing were wild but massive. After six rounds he was done.

I think Deontay necessarily has to conserve. That said, he needs to learn how to throw a really good jan... that would require a lot less energy and make him probably the best heavy of this century imo.

Gazelle Punch likes this.
  15. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Nah I have to disagree. He threw 430 punches to Fury's 327 and still had enough left in the tank to drop him in the final round. Wilder's stamina and output is pretty good.