Deontay Wilder's 'Athleticism'.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by OpinionOfACasual, Dec 3, 2018.

1. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Yes, Usyk is a ton more athletic than Wilder in every category barring power and speed (speed about even). His balance, his spatial awareness, his hand-eye coordination, his ability to react and adapt in the heat of the moment, his excellent stamina are all major components of why he's been able to achieve what he's achieved. Great training and coaching as well, but he's clearly a cut above most other fighters at that weight based on his raw physical gifts.

Smokin Bert and madballster like this.
  2. Aydamn

Aydamn Dillian Da Dissappointment Full Member

Jul 31, 2018
    Wilder is extremely atheletic, I guess it depends in what context?

Wilder is very explosive on his feet... he can move his body out of harms way very quickly.... and fire punches like rockets.

He might not dip duck dodge weave and bop like other boxers, but that's an experience/muscle memory thing...

He generates huge force, momentum and torque in short periods of time... whatever he is doing... whether it is moving or striking.

That is what I believe we mean... when we say atheletic... he can dunk too... which Joshua can't.

He impressed me against Fury.

juhave likes this.
  3. madballster

madballster VIP Member Full Member

Jul 21, 2009
    When I see Wilder's horrific stamina I wonder how anyone can regard him as athletic? Anorexic, yes.

4. shanahan14

shanahan14 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Jul 5, 2011
    The point he is making, is any time there is a black athlete, he is labeled as "athletic". Fury is heavier than Wilder, has better movement, quickness, technique, stamina, etc. Wilder is a strong guy and that is about it. He has a great physique while Fury does not.

Look at hockey players, those guy are freak athletes. Shredded, have insane stamina, strength, speed, etc. They never get labeled as athletic while NBA players do. It's rooted in race. If you are a professional athlete in a sport like boxing (at the high level) then you are a great athlete, period.

mirkofilipovic likes this.
  5. andrewa1

andrewa1 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Apr 8, 2013
    The problem is Fury is even more athletically gifted. 2 inches taller, 40 pounds heavier, and better movement and reflexes? Against a guy renowned for getting by on raw athleticism? Fury is insanely athletic.

6. It's Ovah

Sep 5, 2016
    Why not just say "explosive" then?

7. Aydamn

Jul 31, 2018
    Ok - He's explosive.

Happy?

8. It's Ovah

Sep 5, 2016
    I wasn't particularly upset to begin with.

Just seems like a silly misuse of a word which I wish more people would use correctly.

9. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    hes not athletic at all.

10. Aydamn

Jul 31, 2018
    Why can't he knock anyone out then?

juhave likes this.
  11. andrewa1

Apr 8, 2013
    That's one athletic trait. Wilder has him on that. Most every other trait goes to Fury. Plus, Fury's no featherfist, its not like he's Hughie. He's got close to a 70% ko rate. He's an above average hitter, its just not what he does and he's clearly not in the league of the other two top HW's by this measure. Doesn't mean he won't wind up on top.

In fact, I think Fury is this era's Ali, with Wilder being the closest equivalent to Frazier and AJ the Foreman. Wilder trouble's Fury, and AJ probably beats Wilder, but Fury will wind up on top of them all when its all said and finished.

12. Aydamn

Jul 31, 2018
    Nah... if you are atheletic and 6 foot 9 256 pounds... I dont care what you say.... you should have no problem knocking out any human being in the world. He has no problems landing or setting up shots. A real athelete should be able to do that at 6'9 256 and 85 inch reach and 10 ounce gloves.

And Furys WANTS to do it but he cant. Because hes always like knock him spark out yadda yadda...

13. andrewa1

Apr 8, 2013
    Well, imo that's a gross oversimplification of what "athleticism" entails, but to each their own I guess. If you believe ko power is central to being an athlete, then sure, by your standards, Fury isn't as athletic as Wilder. By the standards of someone who views it only as one among many traits, and not the most important, on the balance Fury is much more athletic.

14. mirkofilipovic

mirkofilipovic ESB Management Full Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Fury is more athletic, only a moron would say that knock out power only renders you the better athlete. Pound for pound Beterbiev is more athletic than Wilder than, Beterbiev> Wilder.

True talk

lepinthehood likes this.
  15. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    What the **** are you on about? Why do ****ing weird freaks on this forum constantly bring up race when it’s not even relevant? I bet all these guys have cuckold fetishes.