Dereck Chisora compares MMA with Boxing: "MMA fighters make more money"

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by Joshua Rubinstein, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Joshua Rubinstein

Joshua Rubinstein New Member banned Full Member

Jan 30, 2017
  2. Camaris

Camaris Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Boxing is one of those sports where if you are near the top, but not at the top, you earn surprisingly little for the blood, sweat and tears. Sort of like athletics - if you keep finishing 7th in the shot put you will not make millions. Little wonder everyone juices to the gills to try and break the top three.

3. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 25, 2015
    MMA fighters get paid peanuts in comparison to top boxers. Look at McGregor vs Diaz 2, McGregor's purse was $3 million which is obviously a lot of money but when you consider that it did around 1.6 million PPV buys, he's clearly getting short changed as the UFC takes the bulk of the money.

Then compare that to Mayweather vs Berto, which was a nothing fight just put on for Mayweather to see out his HBO contract. It only did about 400k PPV buys yet Mayweather still got a whopping $35 million purse.

That girl who just beat Ronda Rousey only got 100k which by the time she has deducted taxes and expenses will not leave her with much I wouldn't imagine. Now I know that's only WMMA but considering she was the defending champion in a big selling PPV headlining fight, she got ripped off.

There is a reason why McGregor is so desperate to fight Mayweather in a boxing match, even though he knows full well he well get embarrassed.

lynxie11 likes this.
  4. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    Absolute nonsense, Broner made $1m fighting Granados last night.

5. On The Money

On The Money Dangerous Journeyman Full Member

Apr 4, 2012
    If McGregor does fight Floyd he has to give half his money to UFC, there is your difference.

6. bladesman

bladesman Active Member Full Member

May 31, 2015
    The UFC sure does have its fighters by the short and curlies...

7. nickpoppunk

nickpoppunk Unbelievable Bentekkers Full Member

Feb 14, 2012
    i agree with this.

but how difficult is it to reach the top in ufc compared to boxing?
    or is it the same.
    is it luck?

8. Drachenorden

Drachenorden Active Member Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    I skipped parts of the interview but I didn't hear him saying that MMA fighters make more money, I thought the point he made was that it doesn't matter in which sport you are (boxing or MMA) the most important thing is that you need to make a name for yourself first if you want to earn money. This is essentially true, if you become a top draw you can earn pretty good money in both sports. Still, the ceiling is higher in boxing and there are definitely more active millionaires in boxing than in MMA, due to a different structure.

On the other hand the talent pool in MMA is shallow and arguably you need to be more talented athlete to make the same money in boxing than in MMA. It's far easier to become a top 5 of your weight class in MMA than it is to crack the top 20 of your weightclass in boxing. Boxing is more global and takes more time to master. Coming up through ranks in boxing you're competing against a bunch of talented dedicated elite athletes with 10+ years of training boxing from all kinds of places like USA, Cuba, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Russia, Kazakhstan, Ukraine, Britain, Philippines etc. while in MMA 90% of your competition is American high school wrestlers who learned to throw a punch or two and some kicks.

So I guess that if you're a C-level athlete who likes to talk trash and play some WWE persona like Conor McGregor you might as well take a shot at MMA. Learn some basic boxing counterpunching and grappling defense and hope that your opponents come swinging at you with overhand rights from the first second. It worked well for him. He wouldn't earn nearly as much as money being a journeyman in boxing.

9. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Next time don't skip parts of the interview then.

10. Drachenorden

Sep 5, 2016
    Where in the interview does he say that MMA fighters earn more money then? Timestamp please.

Also the person who started the thread should have timestamped the video, I don't have time to watch full videos of random Chisora interviews.

11. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    I don't have time to timestamp videos for random people on the internet.

12. Drachenorden

Sep 5, 2016
    But you do have time to reply with bitter meaningless posts?

The truth is that you haven't watched the interview and just came here to talk **** for no reason, that's why you CAN'T timestamp the video.

13. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    You have time to respond in a hostile manner, but not enough time to watch the video in the OP?

Gatekeeper likes this.
  14. Drachenorden

Sep 5, 2016
    You were the first one to respond in a hostile manner without any provocation whatsoever on my part. Now you can't even bring up the timestamp because that part of the video doesn't exist. You came here to talk **** and it backfired since you were talking out of your ass. Also, writing posts costs me much less time than you since you're probably barely literate.

15. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    I've not been hostile son, I merely pointed out something so you wouldn't make the same mistake in future.

If I'm probably barely literate why waste time writing posts to me that I probably barely understand?