Dereck Chisora vs Jack Johnson

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by lufcrazy, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Since it was not really proven to a great extent in the ring, that seems quite an act of faith.

2. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    It was proven in the ring though, just not against somebody you deem worthy of proving it against. Let's us remember though, nobody had TKO Jeffries before or had him in that kind of trouble. Shoot nobody put him down in general, yet Johnson did and multiple times. It's not like Jeffries had wear and tear on his beard with his minimal amount of fights. It's also not like Jeffries was just coming off a KO where he chin had compromised permanently. Further, strength is one of the last things to go, and one of Jeffries greatest attributes. Yet, this peak Johnson able to bully him around the ring and out-muscle him. Again doing something that nobody had done before. I'd say that this showing is pretty indicative of how good Johnson was that day.

3. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    No you asked when was his mythological prime I provided my date ,1910.

4. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    No you asked when was his mythological prime I provided my date ,1910.
    No he wasn't , let us be clear about that and move on, no more obfuscation please.

5. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Can you imagine him training harder for any other fight?

6. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    He was ranked in the top 10 from October 2013 until November 2014.

7. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    With who please?

8. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
  9. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Oh come on, you're really stretching it here.lol "Transnational Rankings WTF are they!

Can't you just admit you were mistaken instead of continuing this charade? It's not a crime to be wrong I frequently am , just not in this case!

10. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    If you don't know them it says more about you than I I'm afraid.

I wasn't wrong, he was top ten ranked from October 2013-2014. I was wrong when I said a couple of years back as it was further back than that.

What rankings do you go by when discussing modern boxers?

11. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    The fact that you had to use them to shore up your," dead in the water case" says more about you than me I think! I go by The Ring but at a push would have accepted the WBC. C'mon Luf, you're better than this!

12. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    I don't need a case, he was in the top ten. There's nothing to shore up.

The ring were bought out by Golden Boy promotions, I stopped taking them seriously in 2012. The WBC charge sanctioning fees, I've never taken them seriously.

Im amazed you've never heard of them. I'm also surprised you still follow the ring rankings given all the scandal they've been in.

Mendoza likes this.
  13. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Yeah ,how about all that scandal the US Championships in the 70's . Can you think of any other scandals? WBC charge sanctioning fees and so do the others ,except the Transnational because no one who wasn't trying to keep an agenda going would give them a seconds credibility to start with! Luf, I misjudged you,I thought you were an even handed objective poster.Shame on me!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  14. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    OK. Perhaps he was the best at exercising in 1910. But to what extent were his boxing abilities demonstrated and his boxing potential revealed in fighting Jeffries at that point? I am not blaming him for taking the fight at all, just stating that his prime is elusive, if in fact it ever occurred in boxing sense.

15. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Agenda? What agenda? I didn't rank Chisora top 10, they did. I don't understand why they'd have an agenda and if they did I don't understand why it would be related to a fringe ranking of a fringe contender.

To give more credibility to a magazine owned by Golden Boy Promotions, that screams agenda.

To give more credibility to a company who charges for their rankings, that screams of an agenda.

To give more credibility to a collection of 50 boxing historians including some who frequented this site and some who quit the ring after it was bought out due the disdain they felt, that screams of objectivity.

Evaluate what you're actually saying please.