Dereck Chisora vs Jack Johnson

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by lufcrazy, Jan 14, 2017.

1. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    I agree that it wasn't a prime Jeffries, but regardless, Johnson still did something nobody else had done prior. Jeffries didn't have a lot of wear and tear on the body during his fighting days, and certainly not much after, that would've adversely affected his chin. The weight issue, again, would have little to no bearing on his chin, coupled with the fact that he had over a year to lose the weight and did so throughout that extended period of time. He didn't just lose it in a few months and was dehydrated. My point here is, to do something nobody else had done previously, speaks to Johnson must've been in fine shape, possibly his best. Let's not forget, strength is also one of the last things to go, and Johnson was the stronger of the two, which again points to him being in likely his best shape.

I would agree with you that Johnson wins vs. Burns was likely his best win, but I'm not sure that was Johnson at his peak. could be though as you say.

2. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Jeffries has 18 months to get down to weight and was 230lbs a year before the fight.

3. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    He didn't really chincheck Jeffries tho. He stopped him through a consistent application of much better, much more sharpened skills. He was an active athlete not a retired one trying to revive his glory days. Again, given what I have read and what can be seen on film, I would guess that a prepared Chisora has little trouble stopping that version of Jeffries.

4. kingfisher3

kingfisher3 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 9, 2011
    I think johnsons prime might have been when he was chasing the title, that level of motivation makes for a dangerous man, let alone if it's inside a guy as good as jack. On the other hand travel does interrupt training and he could afford what he wanted, so there is a legit argument for the Jeffries version based on preperation.

mcvey likes this.
  5. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I go by what Jack said ,that he was in the best shape of his career for Jeffries.

6. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Check your Ad hominem and hate attacks at the door. Ross who was KO'd 4 times prior to meeting Johnson was a joke of a title defense who not only lasted the distance, he hurt the Champion!

Ross landed his only telling blow of the fight, a vicious right hand that shook Johnson.

Ah, only one solid punch landed and it hurt him. Hmmmmm

Johnson never marked in his career??? What a f'n liar you are.

Take another vacation from the board please.

7. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    I would agree. Johnson's best-filmed fight was vs. Tiny Tommy, all 5'7" 168 pounds of him. Here he was most active with the quickest hands. I also agree stylistically this means little if matched vs a much bigger Chisora.

8. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I said he retired unmarked ,get your son to explain the difference to you.

9. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Unlike all the giants that Jeffries fought?lol

10. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    Oh, he fought a few better than Burns, who likely Johnson's best win. The heavier fighters Jeffries meet tended to last fewer rounds.

11. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Burns is his best filmed performance, without doubt.

But he trained his best for the Jeffries fight. Jeffries was just shot and **** by that point.

Everyone who has defeated Derek Chisora has found their way into the top ten of the world.

If you pick Johnson to win, you accept he'd be a ranked HW today.

After that I'm not sure how successful he could be against the title holders out there.

12. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Still saying meet instead of met? Burns was 29 years old and in his prime ,unlike the relics Jeffries defended against.Carry on by yourself now, I'd rather converse with someone whose intelligence is above idiot level.lol

13. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Most of those he beat are, or probably were ranked by the TransNational Organization at some point!

14. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    I dunno I haven't checked the ranking of his opponents, they only do a top ten in each division though so I doubt it.

Helenius, Pulev, Fury, Vitali, Haye and Whyte have all been ranked top ten though and that's my point.

Chisora has proven to be a gatekeeper to a top ten ranking. Hence why I picked him for the thread. I'm tired of hearing all this talk about how classic fighters wouldn't be ranked today, when in reality all you have to do is beat Derek Chisora and you'll get a ranking.

15. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I like Del Boy , though he can be frustrating when he shows up in less than top shape,because his Frazier style dictates that he needs to be at his most fittest to perform well.I don't think Whyte is appreciably better, but like Chisora,he is a potential banana skin for those trying to get ranked.