Derry Mathews vs Nicky Cook

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by robpalmer135, Feb 7, 2008.

1. robpalmer135

robpalmer135 Obsessed with Boxing banned

Jun 29, 2007
  2. Max Molyneux

Max Molyneux Liverpool Liver Tickler Full Member

Jul 11, 2005
    At feather now that Cook would be too drained for that weight I would favour Matthews.

Not sure If Derry's ready for him but Cook has only succeeded at Euro class.

3. robpalmer135

Jun 29, 2007
    Has Cook moved up then?

4. scurlaruntings

scurlaruntings ESB 2002 Club Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Apparently so. His campaigning at super feather. His been struggling to make weight for a LONG time. In my opinion he`d be even better at lightweight.

5. Beeston Brawler

Beeston Brawler Comical Ali-egedly Full Member

Jan 9, 2008
    I think Cook would put Matthews away pretty easily to be honest.

Struggling to make 126, therefore should move up.

6. maka

maka Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 27, 2006

i agree cook would smash him...........if cooks only a euro level fighter........who has mathews fought at WORLD level??? that is worthy of being world level.....

7. Beeston Brawler

Jan 9, 2008
    Is Matthews not the holder of the fabled, holy grail of boxing...................... the WBU title.

All the 'greats' have won either that or the WBF title. Names like:

Matt Skelton
    Audley Harrison
    Johnny Nelson

Select company indeed.

If your not going to win one of the three/four main belts (WBA/WBC/IBF/WBO maybe), at least make sure its the IBO - at least decent fighters win those, and they rank boxers properly - not for the WBU, who rank boxers on the number of times Frank Warren has bummed the chairman for their cause.

8. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Johnny Nelson doesn't belong on that list of ridicule.

9. robpalmer135

Jun 29, 2007
    Niether does Skelton.

The thing i dont like about Matthews is he makes no attempt to chase a world belt, at least hatton did that when he was WBU champ.

10. Beeston Brawler

Jan 9, 2008
    Probably a bit harsh on Johnny Nelson, but you must see where I was going.

Hatton made about 15 defences of the WBU belt, but in reality, the title was secondary to his career ambitions. For instance, he tried to get fights with guys like Pinto, Harris, Corley etc, but for whatever reason, they didn't happen. The belt was there to make it interesting to the TV companies, and casual fans who thought they were watching a genuine title contest.

I think everyone was aware of Hatton's potential as a P4P contender, but I doubt anyone could say the same for Matthews i'm afraid.

11. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Some of Hattons challengers were very capable... Anyone who thinks his WBU reign was 100% poor grade opponents is foolish.

12. Beeston Brawler

Jan 9, 2008
    Some of them were pretty capable. It's just a shame that the most capable ones were past their best! The name Vince Phillips springs to mind.

The WBU belt was secondary really, it was more for the marketing side than actual prestige. (Carrying belts is great for ticket sales and gets non boxing fans tuned in)

13. dwilson

dwilson Guest

The lesser belts have lost some more credit since Sky stopped showing the fights, before that any guy with a fabricated belt could say they were a genuine world challenger. Now when a guy like Derry holds the belt it is different from when the last generation held those belts.

I am not a Derry hater and I do suspect he has got the tools to move up in class but I do not believe he will ever make a proper world title holder. A good Euro level champ though. If he gets the fights.