Derry Matthews Vs Matthew Marsh

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Max Molyneux, Aug 14, 2007.

1. rooq

rooq Rooq's Boxing Promoter Full Member

Jan 16, 2007
  2. Nemesis

Nemesis Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Did anyone notice in the artice (in the echo) that he refers to himself as Dirty Derry

3. nulty

nulty Guest

I did. It's correct as well. Then again the echo refered to him as "The Golden Boy".

4. Nemesis

Dec 9, 2005
    In fairness the boxing correspondent for the echo (nick peet?) lacks any knowledge of the history of the sport and manages to get 90% of his predictions wrong.

I will never forgive him for calling Peter Culshaw a double weight world champion :patsch

5. GazOC

GazOC Guest Star for Team Taff Full Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Most of the journos at that level just repeat what the promoter has told them. Lazy *******s.

6. Max Molyneux

Max Molyneux Liverpool Liver Tickler Full Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Because I wish he was fighting a better opponent.

7. BigEars

BigEars Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 30, 2006
    But that would probably result in him losing :huh

8. Nemesis

Dec 9, 2005
    The same goes for Bernard Dunne, really :good

9. Max Molyneux

Jul 11, 2005
    That will happen If he faces Molitor.

10. BigEars

Sep 30, 2006
    Even I'd favour Molitor to win , but Dunne has a decent chance .
    Matthews I feel however won't go past European level(unless he shows significant improvement) , the problem is he probably won't ever be tested at European level .

Frank will probably have him defend the Warren Boxing Union title for another 2 years or so against domestic and domestic level guys and then throw Derry in for a shot at the WBO title(probably a vacant one too) . Depending on how much of a draw Derry is at the time he'll get someone between the level of Bobby Gunn or someone as good as Luevano .

11. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Max, can you explain your interest in Derry?

12. Max Molyneux

Jul 11, 2005
    He's from Liverpool and I think he has potential to go to world level.

I don't deny he was bad against Simpson though.

Dunne's hands go low after those fast combinations, I think Molitor will capitalise on that Bigears.:yep

13. BigEars

Sep 30, 2006
    Dunne drops his hands when he thinks he can get away with it , you might note he dropped his hands much less against Pickering(because of the respect he had for him) and Jailouev(simply because he had seen very little of him , the only footage of him was the 2 rounds against Hunter) then against Walstad and other opponents .

When Dunne fought Leondraliu( a journeyman) in Germany he looked a completely different fighter as he hadn't seen anything of Leondraliu at all and started cautiously keeping a high guard and tight defense .

The only problem would be if Dunne started to land with regularity on Molitor and wasn't shipping too many back , then he could drop his hands and at that level he could very well pay the price .

Anyway Dunne isn't perfect , far from it . But as boxer punchers go he's one of the most exciting out there , Dunne's never in a dull fight .

14. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    I hate it when Dunne does that. Sometimes Dunne can look really good and then sometimes he'll do stupid things.

At the beginning of his career he made mistakes that would make you think he couldn't get where he is today.