Describe your worst sparring experience...

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by john garfield, Feb 6, 2012.

1. freddieMaize

freddieMaize Active Member Full Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Ture. Its sounds crazy but since we are used to it, it is not weird for us.. Anyways even if I feel its crazy I got no option but to go along..

2. Pork Chop

Pork Chop Member Full Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Is it bad that every time I read your posts, I imagine Mickey from Rocky?
    I hear every word in his voice, even phrases like "I jumped to attention, g".
    Classic. :good

3. rodney

rodney Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Never. Weather or not, your dishing it out or on the receiving end, it's all good. You should enjoy being in there.

4. Steenalized

Steenalized Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 20, 2010
    I wouldn't call it my worst sparring experience, not compared to what I mentioned before, but I sparred with a professional HW recently (I myself have had one amateur fight at SHW). The guy hit like a ****ing truck, it was a bit intimidating knowing he could have blasted me out of there at any moment. But he was actually really helpful and let me get some work in

5. Arranmcl

Arranmcl Arran Full Member

Jan 2, 2011
    I've not had an experience that's made me not want to go back, but I've had some painful sparring.

(I'm 56 kg.)

There was a serbian guy who had been coming to the gym for a few weeks (I'd only been in for 4 or 5 months) he was taller than me and he weighed roughly 80 kg. My coach put me in with him and told him to hold back a bit and told me to just box smart and try to be skillful. Went out and touched gloves then boom, haymakers that I didn't have a clue about how to avoid. I covered up and tucked my chin being hit by so many shots that made me feel like throwing up. I didn't want to look a fool (as everyone in the gym was watching) so I started firing back with straight punches, I caught him with a few but my defense was pretty much non existent and I'd developed some bad habits from half assed training. As a result, I got hurt by a few big punches so I just shelled up and waited for the coach to stop the fight... The coach said sorry to me afterwards and said he had no idea that the guy was going to do that. I tried to talk to the guy afterwards and was pretty much told to **** off. The guy didn't come back to the gym again though, not sure if he was told not to come back or anything but yeah, that was a pretty bad experience and the next day I had a black eye, crooked nose and both sides of my rib cage were in agony. But I learned from it.

Another few bad experiences happened when I was a bit more experienced but I didn't really care, just things to learn from I guess.

6. maddog12

maddog12 Guest

how'd you straighten your nose?

7. Juxhin

Juxhin Guest

hahaha that'd be pretty hardcore

8. PNoyFightFanUSN

PNoyFightFanUSN Larry Don't Give a **** Full Member

Apr 9, 2010
    what, does he slap on a pair of weight lifting gloves and jump in? Even MMA gloves are 4 oz.:think

9. carlos200587

carlos200587 Active Member Full Member

Jun 6, 2010
    first time i got in the ring, full of confidence as i had just hummiliated a 6 foot 20 year old with way more reach that myself when we were touch sparing outside the ring

turns out my trainer thought i was pretty strong so he put me in there with a mma fighter(been doing it for 6 years), that was just in our class as mma had been cancelled that week

i landed a few but he was way more experienced than myself and i was on the back foot the whole time, literally shitting myself

another time was when i was put in sparing with a 16 stone polish guy, he clearly had way more experience fighting in and out the ring, and kept loading up on his punches(i must have been 10 and half stone at the time)

again i was on the backfoot hardly landed any, i wanted to kill the **** afterwards

10. rodney

rodney Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 16, 2006
    The Serbian guy was probably taking it easy. Probly trying to see what you had which wasnt alot. Blame it on your coach who should of been supervising. Maybe your coach wanted to see what you had.

11. Slacker

Slacker Big & Slow Full Member

Sep 19, 2009
    I got my ass whipped by a 50 yr old man...

12. Arkanscott

Arkanscott Member Full Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Last night was one of mine. I was sparring with a guy...going light and went inside with a right hook body and then coming up with right hook head. Nailed the guy flush and buckled his knees. Problem...he's new and put too much behind the head shot. Complete accident. Well, I feel terrible, it gets in my head and I start over thinking everything I'm doing...

Fast forward a little bit; I'm still a headcase when I get in with a real craft pro fighter. Next thing you know I'm getting lit up like a Christmas tree. Then I get in with another amateur who is a longer and a lighter weight class...he then lights me up. I got frustrated and stopped being loose. Just a terrible, terrible night and now I 1) feel guilty about nailing the noob and 2) feel dumb for letting it get to me and 3) am beat up to boot.

I still love this sport; highs and lows!

13. Zaryu

Zaryu Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 7, 2007
    My worst sparring experience was defitnitely the worst I've been clocked and outclassed ever in my life. I was around 16 years old, 119lbs, and had been boxing for a month and a half by then. The guy I sparred was probably 14 years old southpaw, 100 lbs, and was pretty intimidated by me (even though he had actually been boxing for years).

I had never really been beat up in sparring, not even my first time. But this was the first time I was going to spar with him, and my job was to put pressure on him, be physical but not hit him hard (because of the weight advantage I had). As soon as we start I realise this kid is too fast for me to doge his punches. But I keep trying to doge and block while still coming forward. He hit me with everything he had, and he would catch me nice and clean constantly. I couldn't really get adjusted to the angles in which the punches were coming at me, and I even remember seeing some of the peoples facial expressions after I ate up some upper cuts and hooks that made my head snap.

After it was all done, I knew I had been completely outclassed, I was lucky I wasn't really hurt or busted up. I shaked gloves with him and told him he did a great job (he was humble even after beating my ass worse than anyone) and the coach said it was fine that he had a lot more expirience than me and was ahead with his boxing skills.

14. Jackson's Fury

Jackson's Fury Member Full Member

Apr 29, 2013
    I was 15, weighed 148, I was in a shitty gym with a bad coach named Tom Espinosa who didn't know what the **** he was doing, and he put me in there with an old looking dude with white hair named Greg. He was really tall, probably over 6 foot, and weighed 180 while I was like 5'8. I thought this guy must be in his mid 60s but in reality he was probably in his late 40s. Something about this old dude pissed me off, he just seemed like a bad person to me despite his fake smile, but I went ahead into the ring with him anyways, thinking it'll be easy.

Anyways the bell rings, I walk towards him, my left hand was slightly down. I was about to unleash on him when BOOM, he hit me with a right hook, and it's hands down the hardest I've ever been hit in my entire life. Now I was always a strong kid, had a reputation in school for being a tough guy, and I was very athletic, but when I was hit by that punch my mind just completely went blank and the whole world turned black, my hearing turned off and for about 10 seconds I was in a void-like state where I was half dead and half alive. That right hook literally took me out of the physical realm and put me in a sort of spiritual realm for about 10 seconds. And then my eye sight returned, and I realize that I was still standing. I foolishly walk towards him again and BOOM, he caught me with the same right hook. This time it wasn't as hard as the first one, but again I blacked out and entered this dream like state for about 5 seconds. The coach saw it from a distance and took me out of there.

Good thing is after this experience I realized that I'm not invincible and can be KTFO if I get hit.

15. Bogotazo

Bogotazo Amateur Full Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Oh look. Time to update this with the story of how the resident southpaw heavyweight with more experience and handspeed decide me to use me as his punching bag every time we sparred.