Devin Haney: Loma is a 'privileged sore loser' ... 'I want my $400K back for the push'

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Dubblechin, May 24, 2023.

1. Maidanas Gun Tattoo

Maidanas Gun Tattoo Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2017
    So what you’re saying is, Loma took control of his career from the very start. Yea, that’s a smart and great thing for any athlete to do. Especially one that is in his mid 20s, with multiple gold medals and a highly touted amateur career. The exact same thing Oscar De La Hoya and many others did at younger ages. They had the pedigree to back them up.

Stiff Jab likes this.
  2. SpeedKills

SpeedKills Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 7, 2009
    No. That’s called work. Next you are going to tell me Rigondeaux was privileged because he took a title at about 6 fights. These are guys that proved their worth through sacrifice already. Guys with amazing amateur records. Guys being thrown straight to the top guys (going through the 20 cab driver’s like Haney does nothing for them). And like you mentioned, Lomachenko earned his title shot with his debut.

This is like complaining about the olympic medalists with names already, getting paid more on the debut than the nobody on the come-up.

Sure, though you are using the word in some weird, negative connotation, you can say anyone that has put themselves in certain positions as being privileged due to their position, ignoring that they usually come from sacrifice and hard work. Not like we’re talking about a Lomachenko who was hyped by his father’s deeds like Chavez jnr. But whatever. In the same token, Haney is privileged, to be an american, fighting in america. Everyone has “privileges”.

And does anyone here think, if given the choice, Haney and his father would’ve moved like Lomachenko/Rigondeaux?

Last edited: May 24, 2023
  3. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Haney acting like a man that knows in his heart he lost. Some can handle it others can’t.

4. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Lmfao! Even long before this you had people hating Haney calling him boring and feather fisted. This didn't change the way they felt about him they hated him long before this.

Boxed Ears likes this.
  5. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    No, he didn't "earn" a title shot with his debut, he got RANKED by winning his debut. ENORMOUS difference.

His powerful promoter got him the regional title fight with no pro fights, and his powerful promoter got him a quick title fight in his second fight - before everyone else waiting in line - and when he lost that his powerful promoter got him another title fight in his third pro fight ahead of everyone waiting in line there, too.

I don't begrudge people who use their amateur success and parlay that into a good deal as a pro (because I'm not competing against them for work). Loma saw an opening and took it. And it's not like the featherweight, junior lightweight or lightweight divisions were being ruled by Salvador Sanchez, Alexis Arguello and Roberto Duran. There were some fairly weak champs there with belts he felt he could take. He just needed a powerful promoter who could pull ALL the strings to get him the opportunities he wanted. And he found him.

But I can also totally understand why those other fighters competing against them who had to start at the bottom and work their way up (like Haney) would be ticked about all the special privileges Loma has received from the very start and more privileges he's asking for now.

It's understandable.

And I can certainly understand why he wants his $400,000 back. (That's a ridiculous fine.) ;)

Last edited: May 24, 2023
  6. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    This content is protected

CST80 likes this.
  7. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Shawn Porter on record now of saying Haney lost some fans with that shove, and now he's really acting stupid.
    Dude, you won, the W goes in your side of the ledger. No sense acting all thuggish about the situation. Think
    WWMD....What Would Mohammed Do...in this situation besides calling for a decapitation.

CST80 likes this.
  8. YCGS

YCGS Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Devin Haney is collectively the worst parts of Floyd Mayweather, Paulie Malinaggi and Andre Ward.

9. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Get fined $400,000 for pushing someone and let me know how stupid you act?

Bivol only made a little more than that to defend against Gilberto Ramirez. (That's actually more than Ramirez got to challenge Bivol).

10. box33

box33 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 25, 2021
    We knew that there wasn't much chance for the rematch to begin with, Bad luck for Loma as even Salido & Teo didn't grant him one, i really believe that no one anyone wants to go through another grueling fight with someone like him haha.

11. box33

Jul 25, 2021
    Kilma's is quiet stern that is until he's intimated from another like Bill Haney then he goes right into his goody good silent chum mode, funny.

12. Cafe

Cafe Sitzpinkler Full Member

Sep 2, 2011
    I think you can say Loma is definitely privileged compared to some pros, perhaps Haney included in that but I wouldn't necessarily call Loma a great example of some privileged boxer especially when it comes to hyped prospects.

I mean firstly he never had favourable judging in his career like say Canelo. Most prospects are also perfectly happy milking people for 20+ fights before they fight someone with a pulse, I guess you can say Loma having a choice to fight contenders/world champions in his 2nd fight is a privilege but it's one that not many in his position would take. I thought what he did was commendable if anything.

He had to chase fights his entire career, moving up in weight early etc, didn't he give up some of his purse to make certain fights happen?

Loma is definitely privileged when it comes to fans though, he's pretty much universally beloved.

13. box33

Jul 25, 2021
    But that doesn't deter them from going back to Vegas only to be slammed, it's their fault they can't help it.

14. Skins

Skins Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Whatever dude. You're still b-side

The Cryptkeeper likes this.
  15. The Cryptkeeper

The Cryptkeeper Active Member Full Member

May 9, 2023
    P
    I still believe Loma won the fight and I think Haney is an ungracious recipient of that.

But that was a brilliantly worded post and it is difficult to argue with too much of it.

Dubblechin likes this.