Devin Haney THE MASSIVE WEIGHT BULLY —BIGGER than Crawford !!!

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Thunderstorm, Jan 22, 2023.

1. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    You wouldn't consider Cotto, Canelo, Trinidad, Hoya, ect... weight bullies near that age?

renyo likes this.
  2. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Not like that, no. I don't ever remember any of them looking like the living dead on the scales

mono and CST80 like this.
  3. Braindamage

Braindamage Baby Face Beast Full Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Haney doesn't use his weight to his advantage. He doesn't hit hard and doesn't take a good shot. Why all the fear from Loma fans. 8-4, 7-5 Loma all day. Don't care if Haney comes in 50 pounds heavier.

As far as critisizing Haney goes. No need. The man is not cheating. He is working withing the boundaries of the rules. IMO rehydrating after the weigh in is no diffrent than someone training at very high elevation to gain better stamina and endurance in a fight.

If Loma knows that Haney gains huge amount of weight after the weigh in, he can limit Haney's weight in the contract.

4. vast

vast Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    No surprise. he's a WW fighting at LW.

EJDiaZ, MarkusFlorez99 and Jackman65 like this.
  5. jaytxxl

jaytxxl Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Oscar and Shane Mosley were rehydrating about about as much as Haney when they were at 135. No such thing as weightbullying if they make the weight. Just like the weight drained excuse is null and void if they make the weight..

6. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    Loma cannot limit Haney's weight. It's not a catchweight bout and Loma has never asked for rehydration clauses or catchweights, or fought exclusively at home with home refs and judges, or jacked himself with PEDs to help him bridge the gap to fight at higher weights against bigger opponents like many other multiple weight champs have but he doesn't get any get credit for that

The problem is with the there's no such thing as a weight bully crowd is they're very often the same crowd who accuse fighters who were average sized for their first weight class, small for the second one, or tiny for their third one of being ''hype jobs'' when they move up one, two or more divisions and lose to fighters who are actually much bigger or way bigger than them and who hold huge physical advantages over them

They also praise the crap out of fighters who become multiple weight champs who were gigantic for their first weight and who, in complete contrast to said ''hype jobs,'' are not only not facing opponents who are bigger or way bigger than them and who hold huge physical advantages over them, but are often actually still bigger than their opponents at their second and even maybe their third weight or at worst the same size as them

They're doing two completely different things and one is obviously way more difficult than the other but they want to pretend like they're exactly the same and fast track their favourites up the P4P rankings at the expense of fighters who are not only much more accomplished but who are routinely facing opponents who are way bigger and heavier than them

If Loma was rehydrating as much as what Haney is weighing what he weighs now he would be campaigning all the way down at 118

These are the same people who will claim that if natural 147 pounder Haney beats the three division lighter almost six inch shorter reach blown up 126 pounder Loma that size wasn't a factor. It was just because Haney is better and more skilled which is obviously nonsense

Haney would have to go up to at least 160 to be giving away the kind of physical advantages in terms of weight that Loma is against him and even higher for reach

How do you think Haney fares up at 160, and I mean when it was a strong division not the weak one it is now, trying to unify all the belts individually on the road or in his opponent's backyard without a single American ref or judge for any of his fights, facing the hardest punchers in that division? You already know

This is where the problem lies for me

EJDiaZ, Holler, CST80 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    I'm not saying there aren't/were many others rehydrating huge amounts of weight.

I'm saying most are not rehydrating 20-24lbs and looking like they've just walked out of a concentration camp at weigh ins

Cotto was coming as high as 157 at 140 IIRC

Don't recall ever seeing Oscar or Tito coming in 20lbs heavier, let alone 22-24lbs heavier and looking like like they were the living dead on crack at weigh ins either

It's possible but I don't recall it

Holler, CST80 and Jackman65 like this.
  8. Richmondpete

Richmondpete Real fighters do road work Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Makes weight and performs. Everyone plays by the same exact rules

9. Reppin501

Reppin501 The People's Champ Full Member

Apr 26, 2010
    You make the weight or you don’t, the “weight bully” argument just doesn’t hold water. It’s basically a glorified excuse.

Richmondpete and Pimp C like this.
  10. jaytxxl

jaytxxl Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 1, 2010
    At 135 Oscar was rehydrating to at minimum 152 same for Shane Mosley.. Majority of the guys with belts at multiple divisions was boiling themselves down in those first couple of divisions..

11. klion22

klion22 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 4, 2007
    This

12. Forza

Forza Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 18, 2012
    only reason he can make that weight is because of his age

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  13. Sheikh

Sheikh Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 4, 2007
    They need to make weigh ins a couple of hours before the fight. This BS messed up

Jackman65 and Holler like this.
  14. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    I might be able to find a few more of their fight night weights at 135 but it took me long enough to find these ones because the fight night weights are only listed for some of their fights

Mosley at 135

145 against Morales

146 against Ceballos

146 against Johnson

150 against Leija

151 against Brown

Oscar weighed 140 for his lightweight fight against Ruelas

Tito weighed 155 for his welterweight fight against Sweat Pea

https://ibb.co/s3SGt4S
    https://ibb.co/JCgK6gZ
    https://ibb.co/99v0dFj
    https://ibb.co/tpzzLfj
    https://ibb.co/z4Gm5zb

https://ibb.co/XCkcKXX

https://ibb.co/bdL2g6y

jaytxxl, Jackman65 and CST80 like this.
  15. Jackman65

Jackman65 FJB Full Member

Aug 31, 2019
    As a fight fan, I want to see guys face opponents of the same or similar weight. Natural weight, not boiled down and rehydrated to gain an advantage. It should be about boxing skills not weight manipulation skills. Haney is a big welterweight campaigning at LW. That’s ridiculous and makes his lack of power even more glaring.

Tall skinny young guys are another matter. There are always a few tall lankm my types still growing into their frame. Haney isn’t in that category, he’s very athletically built. Floyd understood the value of weight and the advantage a heavier skilled guy possessed. That’s why he refused to fight Winky without a max hydration. Clause which Winky refused and the fight never happened. It makes what Usyk is doing at HW even more impressive because he’s giving up so much weight and facing much bigger guys using his boxing skills. He’s the opposite of Haney if you think about it. Haney could fight any top WW and still not be outsized. I hope he moves up after the Loma fight.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
    kriszhao likes this.