Devin Haney vs Petr Petrov likely for the KSI vs Logan Paul card

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Chuck Norris, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 31, 2016
    This content is protected

2. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    In what world are we living when Haney vs Petrov is at the undercard of RSI vs Paul?! :ohno

CST80, aaalbert, Ph33rknot and 3 others like this.
  3. ShovelHook

ShovelHook Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    It's hardly a headliner tbh. These Youtubers make plenty of money and have tons of fresh young faces drawn to boxing. Can't complain really if it means a few new fans and young boxers are gained from this.

Ph33rknot likes this.
  4. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    This would be the rough equivalent of Anderson Silva defending his title on the undercard of a Kimbo Slice main event in a UFC several years back.

Ph33rknot and jmb1356 like this.
  5. ShovelHook

Jul 22, 2019
    Not really, Haney isn't that established and unlike the Youtubers he didn't ever sell over one million PPV buys or even one for that matter.

6. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    I'm not talking in terms of numbers or popularity contest. I mean in terms of respectability within the sport.

aaalbert likes this.
  7. ShovelHook

Jul 22, 2019
    Well I think it's a fact that money talks in the professional sports world as much as any business.

8. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    So if, say, LeBron James and Tom Brady wanted to have a non-exhibition fight and make their pro debuts against each other, and that ended up getting out atop the bill with, let's say Crawford vs. Spence on the undercard...you'd be cool with that? You wouldn't find that incredibly disrespectful to actual boxers and the sport of boxing?

aaalbert likes this.
  9. ShovelHook

Jul 22, 2019
    I wouldn't want Crawford vs Spence on the undercard since that's a top tier fight, Haney vs Petrov isn't close to that. So if they had a good prospect or lesser known champion on it with a not too great opponent as a showcase I wouldn't mind. Exposure is exposure and Haney can use it.

Lazy Bones likes this.
  10. ShovelHook

Jul 22, 2019
    It's not disrespectful to boxers to have people do it for fun. Hell it's not like these youtubers aren't putting their own health on the line and haven't practiced at all. I don't even care about their fight one little bit but I will tune in to see the undercard and I won't complain. Just let people enjoy what they wanna watch, I'm not particularly stuck up about this kind of thing. Yeah the youtuber boxing is a bit of a joke, but so what? So is Nigel Benn vs Sakio Bika, **** that's just dangerous tbh. This is a gimmick and one that gets kids involved and I'd like to see the sport grow so boxers can get paid well for their participation in a dangerous sport in the long run.

11. Lazy Bones

Lazy Bones Regional Prospect banned Full Member

Mar 1, 2018
    :nut:
    Did you really just try to equate Haney vs Petrov to Crawford vs Spence to support your position of being an offended boxing fan? Lame

ShovelHook likes this.
  12. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    No, idiot. Proportionality is a thing, but not a thing your little pea brain would understand.

Haney vs. Petrov : KSI vs. Logan Paul :: Spence vs. Crawford : LBJ vs. Brady

Bet you still have no idea wtf I'm talking about, though. You're on the lost cause tier of stupidity.

aaalbert likes this.
  13. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    I don't even like Haney, and can't believe I am in the position of having to defend him, but he is among the sport's hottest prospects and is taking on a legit contender who for a long time has been in the world class mix (although I do think Petrov is both a tad over the hill and up shit's creek stylistically here). You can't see this as anything other than a slap in the face of boxing, if they're putting an even remotely worthy fight in a position of subservience to a couple of, in this sport at least, acolyte nobodies. IDGAF how many views or dollars they've generated outside the context of boxing; they don't belong in this position.

CST80 and aaalbert like this.
  14. ShovelHook

Jul 22, 2019
    Even proportionally that makes no sense. These youtube guys have huge fan bases, most of them very young. Let this happen and don't be too mad it is happening. Life's easier that way. Look at the positives. It may be a farce but it sure as hell ain't doing any harm to the sport.

15. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Aside from the narrow demographic that cares about whatever these guys do, in the population at large, you think either of these YT jokers has the name recognition or lucrative potential of the franchise faces of the NBA or NFL? Really?

I stand by my statement, it makes perfect sense proportionally. Nobody outside adolescents had ever heard of either of these guys before their stupid contrived rivalry as wannabe fighters caused their names to crop up on forums like this one.