Devin Miles Haney vs. Xolisani Ndongeni

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, Jan 7, 2019.

The Dream or Nomeva The Wasp?

Poll closed Jan 11, 2019.
  1. Haney on points

50.0%
  2. Haney by stoppage

33.3%
  3. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ndongeni on points

11.1%
  5. Ndongeni by stoppage

5.6%
  1. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Headlining a ShoBox card from StageWorks in Shreveport on Friday. 10 rounds @ lightweight, with no hardware on the line but an opportunity for significant career advancement for the victor. Haney is ranked #8 by the WBA, #10 by the IBF, and #12 by the WBC at 135lbs. Ndongeni currently holds the WBF and formerly held the IBO lightweight titles, but is unrated by any of the "Big Four" in their respective top fifteens.

Haney is 20-0 (13) and stands 5'9" with 71" of reach. Ndongeni stands an inch shorter yet with an inch or two greater wing span, with a record of 25-0 (13). Therefore (barring a draw or No Contest) - somebody's 0 has got to go. :deal:

Northadox, Chuck Norris and pincai like this.
  2. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    I've seen a few courageous souls venture that Haney might have a 'tough challenge' here, but nobody else is going so far as to give Xolisani a solid chance at the upset - least of all the bookies, who install him as +1000.

The last time I felt this much cognitive dissonance among the bleating flock was in the nascent days of Felix Verdejo's pro career. Yeah, remember that guy? I, alone, doubted that he was going to be rubbing shoulders with today's p4p greats (some prognosticating that, by this stage of the game, people would be saying "Loma-who?" All hail El Diamante!" :sisi1) - and, well, how exactly did that work out for everyone? :nusenuse:

Do I think Haney is going to be as big a bust as Verdejo? No. If they met right now, despite being close to each other in the major org rankings, I think Haney would smash Verdejo - but only because the Puerto Rican was a bigger fraud to begin with and is now damaged goods (with years of mismanagement and then a dispiriting stoppage loss under his belt).

What resounds on a familiar note here is that everyone is SO DAMN CERTAIN that Haney is destined for the highest plateaus of the sport, when he literally has fought nobody that was either a) stylistically made to specification and served on a silver platter for him or b) shot or c) both. Everybody is chugging the Kool-Aid like they just hiked the Sahara in a sweatsuit. Calm the hell down. We have seen nothing yet from Haney to warrant the pedestals he is being placed on. Can he even hang with a classy pure boxer? - ie not a plodder that he can dance around countering and mugging with impunity? We are going (to begin, at least) to find out this week. :thumbsup:

shza likes this.
  3. uppercut_to_the_body

uppercut_to_the_body Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2017
  4. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Now, the primary objection that @CST80 has raised with my picking the Wasp - and not without its well thought out merits - is that he only squeaked by the ancient Mzonke Fana by MD. Indeed, for an idea of how ancient Fana truly is - he last headlined a PPV in the United States against semi-prime (just about then exiting his considerably lengthy prime, honestly) Marco Antonio Barrera, in 2005. :eek:

However, the gritty old South African is made of stern & durable stuff - much as is his old buddy/stablemate/training partner from earlier in their careers, Moruti "Baby Face" Mthalane, who just last week captured the IBF world flyweight title at 36 years of age. Now, granted Fana was already in his early forties when he ran Ndongeni close, and yes he was shut out twice in the following year by Emmanuel Tagoe and Terry Flanagan - but it must be noted that he was still putting up a decent fight even in his losses (all on points) in his final run up to his retirement in 2017, and both Tagoe and Flanagan were much further along in their development in 2016 & more seasoned than was Nomeva The Wasp in 2015. He was a mere 17-0 and that was his first big leap up in class...and one need only have a look at his American debut 1½ years later on ShoBox against Tloxing Juan García Méndez to see a marked upward curve of improvement.

FWIW, the MD win over 41 year old Fana ought to be rated higher than Haney's unanimous decision over a shot to bits 31 year old Burgos.

CST80 likes this.
  5. The Akbar One

The Akbar One Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 1, 2007
    A touted American prospect vs an unknown prospect from an African country. This bout is meant to be a showcase for Haney. Most of the African boxers that have been opponents lately have been so poorly skilled, and so poorly trained. That guy that Andrade fought was awful. The Namibian flukey man that Crawford unified against, was worse. This fight should end early.

6. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Difference is that Kautondokwa was a crude banger made to order for Andrade. The hope for some was that he would crack BooBoo's chin (never, in anybody's wildest dreams, that he could outbox him) but he never ended up getting a serious chance to do so as things played out. Ndongeni will be the first actual boxer (ie capable of movement and timing him with counter punches) that Haney will have met.

A puncher won't be the one to expose Haney. A boxer will.

shza likes this.
  7. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Haney is a 1/16 favorite.

8. El Chicano

El Chicano Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Apr 29, 2013
    Haney Ud12 safe bet

9. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    I disagree, but since we've grazed the subject I will throw you props for being among the very few boricuas that follow boxing and didn't lose their heads over Verdejo. You were always very cautious of the hype and critical of the snail's pace at which he stepped up his level of competition, and quick to point out his less than stellar performances and the disappointments they augured. :thumbsup:

10. macademics

macademics Active Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I personally think that Haney isn't as good as he is made out to be. He seems to me more of an athletic boxing talent then a pure boxing talent.

Oneirokritis and IntentionalButt like this.
  11. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Exactly. You can see how badly he wants to be RJJ 2.0 (in miniature), as much as Broner wanted to be PBF 2.0, and neither of them will ever come even close.

pistal47 likes this.
  12. macademics

macademics Active Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Not as bad as Josh Kelly though :deal:

If I was a young porspect's father, I would keep them well away from Roy Jones. No disrespect to RJJ, but that style of fighting where you rely on athletic ability and disregard fundamentals is a sure fire way to crash and burn in the pros if you don't have that one in a generation type of genetics.

13. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    For people who doubt what is going to happen when Haney runs afoul of a true world class boxer (not a slugger or plodding heavy-bag) - which, granted, the jury is out as to just how precisely Ndongeni fits that bill - with his athleticism-reliant shenanigans in the ring, I take it few of you have ever seen the footage of Haney getting his ass HANDED to him in sparring by Shakur Stevenson? The full video, I mean, before his team contacted their lawyers and had the bulk of it scrubbed off the net.

Rock0052, BoxingABC1 and pistal47 like this.
  14. pistal47

pistal47 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2007
    You can clearly see Haneys athletic ability when he steps in the ring but I gotta side with IB. I saw the sparring between him and Stevenson and he really got it put on him. Ya he was 16 but he matured physically at a young age and I dont really see much if any improvement in skill. I think he gets his balls boxed off here. And if he does I think it will be a good wake up call and better him for the future. Haney youre not RJJ, be yourself.

IntentionalButt likes this.
  15. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    They're showing this fight in the UK actually, I've seen a bit of Haney and he looks a decent prospect, not much more than that to me at this stage. I knew very little about the other dude though so lazily assumed it'll purely be a showcase type of fight. I hope some of the doubt shown here is justified and that it's competitive.

The underdog winning an 0 has to go fight just really gets my dick hard.

IntentionalButt and pistal47 like this.