Dick Tiger vs Iran Barkley 160lbs

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Journeyman92, Apr 16, 2022.

1. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 I’m become seeker of milk Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    I don't think so. Barkley was never a real 160lber and it wouldn't be a stretch to call him a big LHW in Tigers era. Maybe.

Bronze Tiger and Mike Cannon like this.
  2. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I have to make Tiger a heavy favorite

3. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    It’s an interesting fight. Barkley was a huge middleweight and very tough. Tiger was very very strong but not a brutal ko puncher or that fast. Funny thing is the best Barkley looked was when he chose to box Duran and showed a good jab and combination punching. Favor Tiger maybe but it’s a tough fight.

Reinhardt likes this.
  4. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I should add Barkley would be beaten by most greats he fought, but say 3 out of 10 he would do well again. He had a style which was awkward which somehow would do well when you wouldn't think he could, and then against other guys he would do worse than what we think he could. He did better against aggressive punchers in a way because of his countering in the middle of exchanges. He would almost close his eyes and punch. A great fight would have been Juan Roldan against Barkley. What a shootout, which I expect Barkley to win, but with Roldan you never know.. Roldan had the misfortune of being matched against two greats Hagler and Hearns, and one guy Nunn who was peaked when Roldan fought him.

5. Cobra33

Cobra33 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Tiger would tear UP Iran and shred him to pieces.
    I watched Mike Tinley beat up Iran and get robbed.
    And Mike Tinley isn't a Tiger.

6. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    Tinley was 1985 before Barkley was the solid contender he became with the win over Kinchen, which incidentally was on the Hearns/ Dewitt undercard I think.

7. Cobra33

Feb 2, 2006
    What are you talking about? Kinchen was doing pretty good against him and Kinchen wasn't really that good. And it was a SPLIT decision.
    How about Sanderline Williams who also got robbed vs Barkley and I have that fight on DVD and Iran LOST.
    When exactly was he this contender again?

8. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    Barkley to me came into his own with the Olajide fight so 1988, yet 1986 was that big win over Kinchen. Kinchen did ok, but he was knocked down, and then Kinchen got the big fight the next April against Roldan, and blew that on the Leonard/Hagler undercard. One might argue Barkley's fight against Williams was too soon after Kalambay, but the Kinchen fight to me was when he made a statement on a big Detroit fight car Oct or 1986. With Kalambay, that was a loss yet it demonstrated at least to me that Barkley persevered, and he was a strong willed guy with confidence, and he would fight anyone. His style matchups were the most unpredictable of most fighters I have seen in that he could really excel with that style at times, and then not look so great defensively. It was about catching and being able to withstand punches in or der to land his own wide punches, and he usually hit the guys he fought clean at least once. Nunn and Duran and Benn beat him, but they knew they were clocked.
    He obviously got better and more confident after Olajide and Hearns. He was a different guy with Olajide than who he was when he lost to Sims. He went 15 rounds with Kalambay which gave him some experience and then he knew he could go 15. Then a few months later he beat Olajide in a big fight and recovered from a knockdown which led to the Hearns defense at 160, where he won against a legend, his best win of his career obviously. Then with Duran that added to his experience and confidence in the fight of the year or close to it, I forget if that was fight of the year, and at that point his style and tenacity gave him some good fights and performances for the next few years yet his flaws were always seen.
    His two title winning fights at two weights in 1992 were rather impressive. After that it went downhill obviously. His style matchup against Hearns helped his career, yet in those two fights he probably took more punishment than in his other fights. He had to take punches to give them. And had he not stopped Hearns in 1988 in round 3, he would have been stopped tko cuts in round 4.. So his heart and style helped him.

9. Cobra33

Feb 2, 2006
    He was limited. He was easy to hit and gave Kalambay no problems.
    When he fought Robbie Simms he got thrown to the wolves and was way too soon for that type of match up.
    You also forgot Mcswain gave him a bit of a tussle as well.
    And Jorge Amparo was hitting him at will at times which was pretty bad for Barkley.
    I admired Iran as he had heart and he could punch but he had no boxing skill at all.
    Kinchen blew thst fight because like he always did he just didn't let his hands go enough and posed too much at times- did the same exact thing in the Sniper bout.
    Iran got hit so much that he was let out of a contract by a manager.
    Your matching him up against a legend in the game who is remarkably durable and very strong.

10. PernellSweetPea

Feb 26, 2009
    I see your points, but I think you are also underrating Barkley a bit, because he fought everyone and when you do that you are going to lose. Kalambay backed up at times and was rocked and that was not "easy" as much as he won a UD. Kinchen was a good fighter yet uninspired, and I do think Barkley goes down as much better than Kinchen ever will. Who can forget Kinchen and Roldan, that was just not so great for James and Kinchen against Virgil Hill. This after he claimed he should have beaten Hearns, and then Hearns beats Virgil after Kinchen is knocked out easily. Hearns also beat Roldan and stopped Shuler in one. I think Kinchen lost to Shuler in a fight which was to decide who would be the number one contender for Hagler's belt or Hearns, which was a month or so before the Hagler Hearns fight.

11. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

Boy you nailed it, Iran's jab was great in that fight and would certainly bother Tiger . I'd favor Tiger but he'd definitely get his hair mussed in this one

12. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Hit or be hit Barkley against accurate, hurtful punching, clever Dick Tiger ? Oh dear Iran.

13. Mike Cannon

Mike Cannon Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Spot on ! it would have been the 2nd coming of Tiger-Carter, more grist to Tigers mill. stay safe my friend.

LoadedGlove likes this.
  14. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    at his b
    est he was far from limited …

This content is protected

15. Cobra33

Feb 2, 2006
    How old is Duran again in that fight? What weight class did that take place in?
    He's almost FORTY years old for Christ sake.