Did Caleb Plant cross the line here

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Thunderstorm, Oct 16, 2022.

1. drenlou

drenlou Tres Delinquentes Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
    So most of the posters that are on ESB are now claiming Shields is on PEDS, Wilder paid Helenius to take a dive, and are now complaining of a professional boxer doing a little taunting in the ring?

This content is protected

2. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 20, 2020
    There is a line between trash talking & crass unacceptability IMO, and Caleb crossed it last night - regardless of whatever bad blood / animosity there is between pugilists during the build up, after the fight I like to see at least respect (hell GGG vs Canelo recntly managed to show respect!), and especially when a fighter has been KO'd and looks in potential distress, victory celebrations should be tempered accordingly, not with vulgar grave-digging motions! Recently the Lee Wood / Michael Conlan is a good example, where Wood urged the audience to dampen celebrations whilst Conlan's injuries were unclear.

Could you imagine how history would have judged Nigel Benn or Chris Eubank Snr if they had done this after the McLellan / Watson tragedies? God forbid someone actually dying - which unfortunately has happened recently.

It's not only crass and shows disrespect to Dirrell, but independent of that it's downright nasty considering the boxers who have lost their life due to injuries sustained in the ring.

Plant deserves every criticism that comes his way, and I would hope when the dust has settled he will issue a full and unequivocal apology on this.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
  3. f1ght3rz

f1ght3rz Ronaldoooo is crying in his caaaaaar Full Member

Jan 31, 2018
    come on guys. Dirrell is probably Plants best Win, he was pumped up and got an adrenaline boost....Dirrell also talked some trash before the fight so don't overreact. It's probably a bit vulgar but we're talking about boxing. Plant risked his life as well. Calm down. Wilder said he wants a body on his record. Personally i'm more offended when a guy celebrates after getting a massive robbery lmfao

4. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 20, 2020
    Wilder got a LOT of flak for the "kill someone in the ring" talk, IMO this is worse given Dirrell down and twitching in a concerning fashion - adrenaline is one thing, but this was in poor taste, and will only reflect badly on Caleb - and the sport in general IMO.

MURK20 likes this.
  5. f1ght3rz

f1ght3rz Ronaldoooo is crying in his caaaaaar Full Member

Jan 31, 2018
    I saw worse celebrations in MMA tbh. Nobody will give a **** about that celebration. Maybe some woke Twitter Karens. I don't like the way he acted but i wouldn't condemn him for the rest of his life. Plant is a mediocre fighter who just beat the best opponent of his career arguably. He also didn't like Dirrell and they both talked some trash before the fight.

gollumsluvslave and Deew like this.
  6. Young Terror

Young Terror ★ Griselda ★ Full Member

May 9, 2012
    It serves Dirrell right he talked a lot of **** going about how he wouldnt lose to a white boy and the usual garbage that scumbags like him and his brother talk and he got slept and sent into retirement in brutal fashion by Plant who i cant fault for doing that i dont think its a big deal it was something in the heat of the moment.

7. MidniteProwler

MidniteProwler Fab 4. Mayor of Aussie Boxing Full Member

Sep 19, 2012
    The Dirrell’s are some of the biggest POS in boxing so they deserve everything they get IMO

Sivaro, Inglis_1, Curtis Lowe and 2 others like this.
  8. Big Ukrainian

Big Ukrainian Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I think it was the most disgusting antics in the ring in the entire boxing history. This guy deserves to get knocked out cold in the absolutely brutal fashion in his next fight

9. shadow111

shadow111 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Wasn't this shoveling dirt action a taunt in one of the Fight Night games? Or am I misremembering?

lufcrazy likes this.
  10. miniq

miniq Tyson Fury Undisputed HW Champion 18/5/24 banned Full Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Same guy who's balls shrunk against Canelo

Sinew likes this.
  11. venbox

venbox Active Member Full Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Unsavory behavior for sure, not to be commended or imitated, but the referee surely overreacted. It's not part of their job to prevent fighters from doing whatever they want postfight.

Perkin Warbeck likes this.
  12. Chitown

Chitown Member Full Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Dirrell talked a lot of ****. Said he'd never lose to a white boi like Plant. Degraded him, his manhood, his race... You don't get to talk **** like that and then decide how your opponent reacts after beating you. That's not how real life and disputes between men go. Could Plant have taken the high road? Sure...but he wasn't obligated to after all the things Dirrell said.

If you want to say Plant has to be professional this isnt the streets or whatever. Then nothing about the trash talk lead up was professional either. I couldn't care less about Plant but he's been nothing but cordial and classy in all his other post fights I've seen win or lose. It was a classless celebration but not unfounded by any means.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
    Sivaro, Smudge_, shza and 5 others like this.
  13. Mickc

Mickc Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2015
    Karma will be waiting for him in the future no doubt just like it got Dirrell last night .

14. SpeedKills

SpeedKills Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 7, 2009
    They talked a lot. So some taunting for the winner was par for the course.

15. drenlou

drenlou Tres Delinquentes Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Boxing isn't for the sensitive people. Toughen up Esb