Did Cassius Clay really have all this respect for Howard Cossel?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by El Gallo Negro, Jan 22, 2021.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Thank you!

2. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    He also supported segregation and
    and many other radically dangerous racist things when he was young. I don’t say this out of hate it’s just the truth. He was a man with many warts. Did a lot of good and bad in his life.

KidGalahad likes this.
  3. ThePlugInBabies

ThePlugInBabies ♪ ♫ Full Member

Jan 27, 2007
    black people held no power in this era in the united states. the idea a black man could be racist in that environment is a non starter.

4. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Maybe you should read the definition of “racism”. The idea that someone would think a black man couldn’t be racist in i don’t care what era is the most absurd thing I’ve ever heard. But this is getting away from “boxing”. Plenty of books you can read on Ali that will tell you all about his radical views as a young man. He was the greatest imo but that doesn’t mean he didn’t have warts. I won’t comment on this topic after this and would refer you to literature on the man.

5. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    His views ,like those of his some time mentor Malcolm X ,changed with time and became more tolerant and accepting of all colours .Both men embraced true Islam and distanced themselves from Elijah Muhammad and his loony spaceship theories,and Malcolm paid the ultimate price for doing so.

6. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Sep 16, 2012
    This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of

Anyone who believes this needs to be on clozapine

Kamikaze and mcvey like this.
  7. ThePlugInBabies

ThePlugInBabies ♪ ♫ Full Member

Jan 27, 2007
    anyone can be prejudice. racism however is systemic. it prevents progression by shutting doors on those at the end of its boot.

8. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    You can use that definition if you want, but it's not the defition that most people use, so I don't see why you'd insist on using it, instead of just saying "systemic racism", which is far less ambiguous.

People certainly aren't wrong for using the standard definition

The Senator likes this.
  9. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    The Oxford Dictionary definition. Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.I'd say most would agree with this interpretation.

Kamikaze and The Senator like this.
  10. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    He actually explained why he wasn't against segregation. I believe it was because back then the majority of whites didn't want to hang around with blacks anyway so why bother trying to be buddies? The logic was that at least African Americans could have their own schools, barbershops, offices, diners, etc and not have to constantly walk on egg shells and be themselves. There actually is some logic to it even if it isn't the most politically correct stance to take. It's pretty easy to look back in hindsight and view that as being "racist" and backwards when African Americans back then could literally be minding their own business taking a walk and getting sprayed by hoses, attacked by dogs, or hung from a tree just for forgetting to bow their heads when a white man walks past them.

11. Showstopper97

Showstopper97 The Icon Full Member

Oct 7, 2020
    Yeah. I used to be 'one of those' who believed that mantra. Racism is a belief that means someone thinks they're superior to another based on the colour of their skin. While I agree that blacks had no power to oppress people - the beliefs & speeches of some of the pro black organisations (NOI & BPP) were certainly racist. However I'd say they were justified, because if it weren't for white people (not all, but most) & their racism, there wouldn't be groups like NOI & BPP - which were groups set-up as a response to racism & white supremacy.

mcvey and Glass City Cobra like this.
  12. El Gallo Negro

El Gallo Negro Active Member banned Full Member

Nov 8, 2020
    Same could be said for any segregationist, white or black. Either something is racist, or it isn't. All groups can find justifications for their behavior. If it is acceptable for one group of individuals to have their own diners , barbershops, etc then why is considered racist for another group to want the same thing?

13. Showstopper97

Showstopper97 The Icon Full Member

Oct 7, 2020
    Because one group did it out of hatred & superiority complex, whereas the other group (who didn't do it or get the chance to) only wanted to do it because the other group were hostile & forcing their hand.

14. sauhund II

sauhund II Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Howard Cohen was a Penthouse Liberal , Ali was a pawn used for political purposes for both sides.

IMO, Ali never changed his views, he just concealed it better and was less vocal about.

This is a Boxing forum so I judge the actions in the Ring not outside................and I would decline a hypothetical invitation to meet Ali or Cohen privately for a non boxing event.

BTW, the USA created more Minority Millionaires than ANY other country on planet earth.

El Gallo Negro likes this.
  15. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Who said it was acceptable? It may have been the custom but it was never right..