Did De La Hoya really take a dive against Bhop ?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Dance84, Jan 25, 2019.

1. 3rdegree

3rdegree Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 23, 2014
    The fact that nary a meaningful punch landed until that point, and De la hoya's overreaction made me suspicious that it was a set-up.It's impossible to prove they were in collusion, and we're left with only our suspicions that they are dirty, conniving weasels.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    Jackstraw likes this.
  2. Jackstraw

Jackstraw Mercy for me, justice for thee! Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    I remember watching the fight at the time and it looked fake. Although Oscar was doing good for the first few rounds Bhop was coming on and there wasn’t going to be anything Oscar could do so he took a way out. When Oscar smacked the canvas with his fists and then shortly after was all smiles in the interview saying he got hit on the button- it all seemed fake. I’m not saying it was but when you look at the body shot by Ward that put Gatti down in the 9th or when Jones cracked Hill’s rib, the shot that Oscar took looked different. And then, yeah, factor in their newfound business deal in which Hopkins was now a partner of Goldenboy promotions?
    Also, didn’t one of the HBO commentators at the time question it out loud?

pacas likes this.
  3. The Ogdoad

The Ogdoad Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 27, 2017
    It looked kinda fake to me. Only one angle seemed to show a small ripple of impact, and the blow didn't seem to have any concussiveness at all. Hopkins usually brutalizes smaller flat footed guys like De La Hoya who don't have the power to make him blink, but he seemed to take it easy on him, carry him rounds, and not let his hands go much. Then aftwerward, De La Hoya makes him a partner in his company. Seems like a coordinated thing. There was no reason that Hopkins shouldn't have been touching up De La Hoya much more in that fight.

surreal deal likes this.
  4. surreal deal

surreal deal Liverpool via Krypton Full Member

Jun 16, 2006
    I have no strong opinion or great...'for the sake of Boxing'... legitmacy!.....interest in this...BUT...nonetheless; I found it strange that Oscar, in his immediate interview said (very close paraphrase) .....I tried and wanted to get up but I couldn't! If I could have got up I would have. Anybody else remember familiar words in the aftermath interview? I mean who says that? Feel free to correct me or tell me it's a false memory?

5. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    DLH a warrior ???? ROFL A warrior in fishnets & high heels

pacas and Wasteman like this.
  6. Angler Andrew

Angler Andrew Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 28, 2016
    I’d of never of dreamed that seeing him or he went down,weight classes do and should mean something and B Hop v Oscar was as an extreme example as you could get,add to that a perfectly timed punch to the liver it’s hardly surprising he couldn’t get up.
    I’m normally up for a conspiracy but in this I can’t get on board.

7. Angler Andrew

Angler Andrew Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 28, 2016
    Oh I can believe it,been badly winded and that was agony but a well placed punch up into the liver must be debilitating.

8. kerrminator

kerrminator Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Who do you think took them pics of oscar and his net stockings lol. Bernard beat him then made him his b1tch lol

Hi-Tech likes this.
  9. Nigel_Benn

Nigel_Benn Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Yes. The 'greatest shape of my life' guy was in the fight, but he was clearly beginning to gas out - as per usual - and he took the opportunity to quit rather than go the 12 rounds with Hopkins who was beginning to beat him up.

Cobra33 likes this.
  10. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
  11. MismatchHypejob

MismatchHypejob Active Member Full Member

Aug 24, 2022
    If you want to see a clear fixed fight, just watch any of Canelo's last number of fights. Dodgy ginger mfer

C.J. likes this.
  12. renyo

renyo Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Oscar was looking good until that shot

13. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 13, 2012
    I'm guessing the people who said yes have never taken a punch to the liver.

greynotsoold, C.J. and Oddone like this.
  14. Guerra

Guerra Well-Known Member Full Member

May 23, 2020
    Felt he was looking for a way out. Add in hopkins joining golden boy later.
    I dont know, maybe. He definitly didnt eat that liverpunch like maidana did vs Khan.

Cobra33 and Jackstraw like this.
  15. Hanz Cholo

Hanz Cholo Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 11, 2012
    No ,
    “Dee ponch landed right of dee butteen!”