Did Floyd Mayweather reduce the popularity of boxing in the USA with his boring defensive style?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Perkin Warbeck, Jun 12, 2022.

Did Floyd's boring style hurt the popularity of boxing in the USA?

This poll will close on Mar 7, 2025 at 9:57 AM.
  1. Yes

35.5%
  2. No

57.9%
  3. I'm not sure

6.6%
  1. Perkin Warbeck

Perkin Warbeck Fire and Blood Full Member

Nov 4, 2017
    Boxing was more popular in the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s than in the 21st century when Floyd Mayweather was the highest-profile American boxer.

In the past there were ring warriors like Tyson, Duran, Hagler, Frazier, Ali, Foreman, Hearns, Holyfield, etc. Their fights were always enjoyable to watch.

Floyd's pitty-pat, shoulder-roll and run style, while effective, turned away many boxing fans. He only had ONE stoppage win in his last TEN title fights, as he would simply try to run out the clock instead of going for a stoppage against overmatched opponents like Guerrero and Berto.

Floyd's fights may have been a cure for insomnia, but otherwise were not very good - many people found them dull and then wouldn't want to waste more money to watch boxing. Some turned to MMA or other sports.

Did having Floyd Mayweather as the face of boxing in the USA cause a decrease in the popularity of the sport in the USA?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
    BoxingIQ, pacas and Jackstraw like this.
  2. Guerra

Guerra Active Member Full Member

May 23, 2020
    He caused the zero marketing style and carefull matchmaking and therefore the big fights that boxing need are not happening when they should.

Stonehands, box33, pacas and 5 others like this.
  3. JunlongXiFan

JunlongXiFan Dog Face??! Full Member

Aug 9, 2020
    How can the third most popular American boxer of the past 60 years have decreased the popularity by being boring? Clearly Americans were intrigued by him.

4. Perkin Warbeck

Nov 4, 2017
    But during the Mayweather era, boxing's TV ratings became much lower.

People used to talk about Holyfield, Tyson, Hearns, Hagler and Duran, but I've rarely heard anyone talk about Mayweather. Floyd was not exciting, his fights put people to sleep.

JacK Rauber and pacas like this.
  5. JunlongXiFan

JunlongXiFan Dog Face??! Full Member

Aug 9, 2020
    I think this is because in the USA PPV became the primary model for stars as it makes more money.

6. Sinew

Sinew The Assassin Full Member

Feb 7, 2005
    No , it was Wlad.

Jackomano, Levook and DaRealJT like this.
  7. HolDat

HolDat Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Football and basketball are just much more popular in the US.

8. Perkin Warbeck

Nov 4, 2017
    I'm no fan of Wladimir Klitschko, I don't like him and in the Povetkin fight he should have been DQed for excessive holding.

But with his 53 KOs he was clearly more exciting to watch than Mayweather.

pacas likes this.
  9. IsaL

IsaL Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 7, 2006
    No, he actually carried the sport with his character.

Sooncreate3, jaytxxl and Pimp C like this.
  10. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    I can tell the people who vote yes aren't American.

What hurt boxing in the US was the fall of Mike Tyson and the domination of the Klitschko brothers. Theres also the fact that Basketball and Football are much more popular

Oddone, Pimp C, cslb and 1 other person like this.
  11. DaRealJT

DaRealJT 32-0-1 Full Member

Sep 26, 2021
    There are numerous factors behind the decline of boxing as a mainstream sport in the West; attributing it all to Floyd Mayweather is extremely short-sighted.

12. West of Hollywood

West of Hollywood Active Member Full Member

Nov 17, 2018
    Mayweather's boring style was responsible for the decline and fall of western civilization.

13. Perkin Warbeck

Nov 4, 2017
    Well, he sure didn't help and he was certainly a factor.
    You mean by beating up the mother of his children?

djfonti, Jackstraw and ArtBoxer like this.
  14. exocet76

exocet76 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Nah. It's just timing really and understanding the sport was in a rut at the time. The Heavyweight division was also poor during this period.
    So many factors are to blame. from the switch between free to air to the PPV model didn't help as that reduced the general public awareness of fighters. I don't think Floyd helped as I think if he'd fought Pacman back in 09 to 2010 that would certainly given boxing a shot.
    The other era's are more remembered because the divisions were deeper in talent and everyone fought each other.
    This is why in that time it's become more about marketing and over emphasising the importance of being unbeaten. That only works on the casuals and the fanboys though. So it's complicated but I can't blame Floyd as he is only one fighter but he did bring those tactics of card stacking and cherry picking into the norm.

Levook likes this.
  15. Ph33rknot

Ph33rknot Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Everyone always tuned in, in hopes that he would lose thats how he sold himself as the villain

Pimp C, pacas and Jackstraw like this.