Did Fury really “fight down to Otto Wallin’s level” or is that an excuse?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by herbzg, Oct 26, 2020.

1. herbzg

herbzg Euro-Level Athlete Full Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Sure Fury looked good against Wilder but even guys like Gerald Washington, Johann Duhaupas, and Luis Ortiz looked good against Wilder before being stopped. Is Fury being overrated on this forum?

Heavy_Hitter, CST80 and kriszhao like this.
  2. Surrix

Surrix Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Wilder fans too delusional.
    I had been tired till half death by reading how easily Wilder will beat up Fury 2+ years. It did not happened!
    These are facts.
    Also I had read up how easily Wilder will finish Ortiz. Facts are that he had a lot of problems with Ortiz.

Are Wilder's fans overrating their own importance, importance of their claims and posts in forums?
    It is boring, annoying and looks that this never will end.
    Endless story.

Also stuff how Wilder's fanboys like to see anyone more realistic as hater etc.
    Really boring.
    I did not had paid much attention to this mesh until ppl continued to post and post in forums even this autumn. About how overrated Fury is, how everyone hates Wilder etc.
    It is boring.

3. Surrix

Surrix Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2020
    For me Wilder's fans looks are turning into something close to MMA fanbase. Conor and Khabib fans etc.
    Level is amazing.

4. pernellaaron

pernellaaron Active Member Full Member

Jan 8, 2008
    I think it is a combination of things really. Wallin was better than we thought, he is a big southpaw which you don't see much of, and the cut changed the whole nature of the fight. That being said Fury still clearly won but it was way closer and uglier than we all thought. I'd expect a rematch to be wider.

5. Vegan Beast

Vegan Beast Grandpappy Ortiz Full Member

Aug 19, 2020
    I understand why people would question Fury based on his performance against Wallin, but he is a bit notorious for his concentration levels being inconsistent, especially when it comes to the smaller fights. He wasn't fighting near his best vs Wallin.

We all know what he is capable of with his performances against Wilder and Wlad.

Even if you don't think beating Wilder was impressive, remember Fury dominated Wladmir, and even if it wasnt Prime Wlad, 39 year old Wlad would probably be a top 5 fighter right now. He was getting old but he was still undefeated for a long time.

Fury's talent is obvious and anyone is capable of a bad fight. Yet he still pulled off a win.

Fury can win beautiful and ugly.

herbzg likes this.
  6. Philly161

Philly161 "Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless" banned Full Member

Oct 25, 2020
    Fury is an interesting case. I do think great fighters do sometimes need a certain level of fear to perform and that klitscko and wilder brought out the best fury bc he saw them as threats.

There's also a stylistic element in that wilders style was intimidate and annihilate and when that failed he had no backup plan or the skills to adapt. Those "lesser" fighters were the ones with the fear in their fight and maybe that's why they gave fury more issues.

7. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    I think it was more down to styles. Also, Wallin despite his inexperience was effectively attacking Fury’s body and fighting Fury well in the clinch in the early rounds, but in the later rounds Wallin’s inexperience really started showing when Fury started sitting down on his punches and attacking from all angles. Wallin looked completely clueless and went entirely defensive.

Saying all that I still think it’s too soon to say Fury is the best current heavyweight, since even though I would favor him to beat Joshua it’s not a forgone conclusion, since Joshua with the right gameplan could beat Fury.

8. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    It's just clear that Fury has problems with certain styles, like most championship level boxers. He also has a low punchoutput, so for one he will always have issues with in your face styles.
    He's never going to be a long time reigner because of that.

Jackomano, vast, CST80 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Lesion of Doom

Lesion of Doom Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2015
    Fury does fight to the competition more than he should, but that's not the only reason he struggled. He doesn't look as dominant against shorter, cagy fighters who aren't susceptible to his feints. He's kryptonite to the modern dreadnaughts ruling the HW division, but he'd actually do worse against 90s and earlier HWs.

10. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Actually think Wallin is a decent fighter.

11. Safin

Safin Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Anyone who has watched Tyson Fury since he boxed on ITV4, Sky and then Channel 5 know that he often boxes to the level of the opponent.

Ben Davison was a good person for Tyson Fury to be around during the Otto Wallin period but the relationship had its professional limitations. Whether or not Javan Hill would have motivated Tyson Fury for the bout is another story, but he certainly wouldn't have gone in there in that condition and boxing so passively.

lepinthehood and ShovelHook like this.
  12. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Otto Wallin is good fighter. Just lacks power, but he has size, skill, southpaw stance, volume, guts, killer instinct, and, to the limited level its been tested, chin.

If he had a punch, he would be on the A-side.

Toney F*** U and ShovelHook like this.
  13. Leeroy84

Leeroy84 Lancashire-la-la-la Full Member

May 7, 2016
    Great shot by Wallin to open the cut, and it certainly could of been stopped.
    But other than that shot, one-eyed Fury won it comfotably. Probably deserves more credit.

Can't see Wilder or AJ ever fighting and succeding with one eye in similar manner.

vast likes this.
  14. ShovelHook

ShovelHook Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    He still looked better than Wallin but Walling just came with a good gameplan to disrupt him until Fury got the read on him. People sleep on the talent Wallin has, he's clearly very coachable and is very well rounded. He'd provide a suitable challenge for many and should be able to make it as a decent contender at the least.

15. HEADBANGER

HEADBANGER TEAM ELITE GENERAL Full Member

Oct 17, 2009
    It was basically just the cut that stopped Wallin getting a complete beatdown

An absolutely ridiculous cut pissing blood in his eye that any other ref would have stopped the fight for if he wasn't Arums cash cow

Fury showed plenty of balls fighting with one eye, in a rematch he would get a clinic put on him

Also Fury did not fart sauce dip prior to this contest

lepinthehood likes this.