Did Holyfield beat Lewis in their 2nd fight? Round by Round Breakdown

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by streetsaresafer, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    That was the first fight. The rematch was more reasonable. I hated that high cup, and still do. The commissions (and opponents corners) should do more to prevent these high cups.

Interesting thing is...it appears that Holyfield may have started the trend in the first Tyson bout. As it turns out, he was on the other end of one of the most ridiculous uses of the high cup. Keith Holmes against B-Hop deserves mention too.

2. Sonny's jab

Sonny's jab Guest

I agree that this fight could have gone either way. But my immediately impression was that Lewis edged it, very close.

The American TV commentary all seemed to be mostly pro-Lewis if I remember rightly, so I disagree with the idea that his being "non-American" made people think this was close.

The fight was close, many of the individual rounds were close to call. Saying otherwise is as bad as saying the first fight was NOT a robbery.

If the verdicts of the two Holyfield-Lewis fights were swapped (ie. Lewis win in the first, and a draw in the 2nd) I would say that was fair.

But here in Lewis-nuthug-land I guess my opinion means I'm a "hater".:lol:

3. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I feel that Lennox won both fights legitametly. I disagree however with those who believe that both fights were a domination on Lewis's part.

4. DamonD

DamonD Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 19, 2004
    You're the second person today to call ESB a Lewis nuthugger land.

Certainly made my week. A nice change from the years and years of distrust, disdain and disrespect Lewis toiled under from large sections of the media and public.

Go ESB!

5. streetsaresafer

streetsaresafer Member Full Member

May 5, 2007
    I had Lewis easily winning their first fight 9-3 for the record. But getting back to their 2nd fight -

The tough thing is there are so many close rounds - 1, 3, 5, 8, and even 9 to a degree are close.

Round 3 is Holyfield's because Lewis's work up until Holyfield lands that good shot was pretty inconsequential. I still like round 1 for Holyfield - neither guy was particuarly effective but I thought Holyfield was the aggressor in the round more so. Round 5 I scored even, and this was the round I played back the most and I thought it was too close to call. I gave round 8 to Holyfield because I didn't think either man was that impressive in the round, but again I favored Holyfield due to being the effective agressor. Close round though. I can even score round 9 for Holyfield like Giampa did based on the fact that he clearly won the first 2 minutes of the round in my book. I gave it to Lewis though because of quality over quantity again. His uppercuts and combination punching in the last minute was pretty impressive. But I could see round 9 scored even.

Lewis clearly won rounds 2, 4, and 10.
    I think Holyfield clearly won rounds 6, 7, and 12.

So half of the rounds are abundantly clear to me. That leaves the other 6 rounds which are much closer at the margins. And to a certain extent, it depends on what you value as a judge.

Again I seemed to be more impressed this most recent time with Evander pushing the fight, having the more effective jab, landing some good left hooks than I was with Lewis. Lewis seemed largely ineffective with his jab in several of the rounds, and though he was throwing more punches than Holyfield in some of the rounds, I thought a lot of his 'work' was largely ineffective. Quality over quantity I guess. I did like Lewis's work to the body, and he threw some great uppercuts, particularly in round 9.

But again, a very close fight and I have certainly can understand those that scored it for Lewis.

In terms of accounting for the scoring difference, the first time I watched the fight I had just watched their first fight right before. So it is possible I was influenced initially by the fact that Lewis was so clearly robbed in the first fight. The reason I revisited the fight is when they had Classic Ringside on Holyfield and you had guys like Burt Sugar and Michael Moorer suggesting that Holyfield won the 2nd fight. That had me intrigued as I remember scoring it for Lewis 8-4. And then joining this site and then finding that there were some other people who had scored it for Holyfield.

6. streetsaresafer

streetsaresafer Member Full Member

May 5, 2007
  7. AnthonyJ74

AnthonyJ74 Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 26, 2007
    I thought Lennox Lewis outworked Holyfield in the rematch.

8. DamonD

DamonD Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 19, 2004
    He did outwork and outland Holyfield...195/490 to 137/416.
    Holyfield only landed 7 more punches than in the first fight. Lewis's workrate and accuracy dropped, Holyfield's didn't rise by much at all.

But, it's 12 rounds to score, not just the overall stats.

I would still argue that Holyfield performed better in rounds 3 and 10 from the first fight than ANY of the rounds Holyfield won in the second. Main difference in the second is that he produced a much more consistant display, paced himself a lot better.

Listen in the first fight for just how audible Holyfield is at times. He's really loading up on shots. Second fight, generally much quieter.

9. Sonny's jab

Sonny's jab Guest

I dont think Lewis suffered from too much undue criticism, or distrust, disdain and disrespect.
    That seemed to be an angle he played up to though.

I think he was recognized early on as a great prospect and got great exposure and coverage and good breaks.
    Not all of his fights lived up to the sales pitch though, in fact sometimes two or three in a row would be more than a little disappointing.
    I guess a lot of people didn't warm to him because he didn't always deliver. But when he did deliver the praise was always forthcoming.

A lot of people had faith in his talent and constantly backed him as "most likely to suceed", but others took a fight-by-fight "let's wait and see" approach and told it like it was.

Just my opinion.