Did James J Jeffries beat Frank Childs?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by BitPlayerVesti, Aug 19, 2019.

1. mattdonnellon

mattdonnellon Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 2, 2006
    I agree we can't be definitive. In a few hours researching Childs I found seven or eight "new" fights in a newspaper article that seems legit as it also included the fights that are already verified. The first Armstrong fight never took place, the Rufus Johnson was actually Rufus Sharpe etc. The point I'm making is that there is a lot of misinformation out there and a lot of information also just waiting to be discovered. Childs had a strange career, looking promising early on in California, then very little action but a disastrous performance against Creedon and then a renaissance that saw him beat Armstrong, Klondike, Byers, Conroy, Strong, Baker, Butler, Dunkhorst, Everett, Bonner, Walcott, Russell, Walter Johnson...I don't think he fought Jeffries but I don't know. BTW has anybody got any info on the first Choynski fight?

BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  2. Tonto62

Tonto62 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Absolutely!

3. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    The Daily Inter Ocean - 16 Nov 1895 (page 2)
    ALL BUT KNOCKED OUT.
    Choynski Mercifully Handles Frank Childs When Very Groggy.
    Joe Choynski last night toyes with Frank Childs, the colored boxer, for two and one-half rounds at Sam T. Jack's. Nearing the close of the last round Joe shot in a short-arm right to the point of the jaw and Childs went to earth. He got up like a man looking for solace on ***** street, and Choynski let him off with a light tap.

Jim Touhy tried to throw "Cockney" Sterling at catch-as-can one fall in fifteen minutes, but failed.

Tonight wee Willie Phelon, feuillitionist, is to go up against Choynski. They are to box three rounds. The members of the unattached press will hold a memorial meeting tomorrow morning. Willie will have lived twenty-two useful years when his taking-off occurs.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019