Did John L Sullivan hit as hard asTom Sharkey or above?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Dance84, Nov 19, 2020.

More power and better fighter

1. Sharkey hit harder

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Sharkey better fighter

18.8%
  3. Sullivan hit harder

93.8%
  4. Sullivan better fighter.

37.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dance84

Dance84 Unicorn and seastar land Full Member

Oct 11, 2017
    Obviously sharkey fought better opposition could explain the losses . but overall who would you say had more power and was the better fighter? Multiple votes allowed.

2. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Sullivan harder puncher Sharkey better boxer

Fergy likes this.
  3. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I don't find a lot of basis for either contention. Sharkey was seen as fairly rudimentary for his time but improving as he went along.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  4. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Sullivan was obviously a far better fighter than Sharkey, and a better finisher.

It is possible that Sharkey hit harder, but I doubt it.

5. Devon

Dec 31, 2018
    The reason I sat this is because the sport was evolving quickly at that time and they were learning new technical skills all the time and Sharkey was after Sullivan so I feel that he was in a slightly different era, but they had learned lots in the time between Sullivan and Sharkey

6. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    They were very different eras, but there is no evidence that boxing techniques had improved significantly.

Even if they had, Sullivan was praised as a technician by many, while Sharkey was seen as being as crude as you got at world level.

Tockah, louis54, Rumsfeld and 2 others like this.
  7. Devon

Dec 31, 2018
    I look at the same time difference, but from Johnson to the Tunney era and boxing had evolved quite a bit and I just assume it did from Sullivan to Sharkey era too

Rumsfeld likes this.
  8. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I’m not sure myself. How would we determine this ?

Tockah likes this.
  9. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Joe Choynski said he saw Sullivan live and that Sullivan was a far harder hitter than he was .. considering what a monster puncher Choynski was that says a lot ..

louis54, George Crowcroft and Seamus like this.
  10. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Sullivan was rightly considered a revelation in his day. The gap between he and the best contenders was as great as it has ever been in the division's history. His lifestyle ruined the great talent he possessed. In his prime, he would have eaten Corbett alive. I think he would have likely battered Fitz, given Fitz's style. I think Jeffries and Johnson would have posed the first real challenges to him, McVea and Jeanette included.

11. he grant

Jul 15, 2008
    The thing about Sullivan was that the man for the most part was never even trained to learn how to box .. he pretty much was born with some terrific natural skills .. he was very fast, he was very strong, he had the killer instinct, he took a terrific punch , he had stamina and the punch was indisputable .. this was a man that knocked men cold for over a decade.

mcvey and Seamus like this.
  12. mattdonnellon

mattdonnellon Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Sharkey is overrated as a puncher. McCoy and Ruhlin are the only notable kos on his record.

BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  13. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Jeffries didn't really rate him as a puncher.

He KOed Joe Goddard too.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  14. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    Pretty much everybody who fought Sullivan, either went into survival mode, or got annihilated.

He was a much more dangerous puncher than Sharkey, and probably more dangerous than Jeffries as well.

15. he grant

Jul 15, 2008
    I think if anything is universally agreed upon regarding Sullivan it's that his punch was lethal .. the man crushed people .. I think he was a far harder one shot hitter than Jeffries ..I think he was a pound for pound slugger on the level of a Satterfield or a Jackson .. the man was a monster puncher ..

mattdonnellon and janitor like this.