Did Larry Holmes give Ken Norton more trouble than Muhammad Ali?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Feb 17, 2020.

1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Larry was far better v Norton than Ali was in his first and third bouts v Ken, but what about the second fight between Ali and Norton, how did Ali`s performance in that bout compare to Larry`s v Ken in `79?

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  2. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Yes, Larry did better against Norton than Ali did,,,but it was an older Norton. A few years younger and Ken actually might have beaten him.

3. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Different times mark imo. Ali was experienced and still good enough to beat Foreman, just after he beat Kenny. Tho of course it was close. By the time Ken faced Holmes, even tho he took Larry to a split decision, his best days were behind him. He was also facing a slightly injured Holmes, I believe it was a torn bicep?. But anyway way I see it, he fought like hell against Holmes because he was, in his mind and at least the WBC s, the heavyweight champ of the world, he had pride in that fight and he didn't want to be shafted by the judges again.
    But he'd have always given both guys trouble, a matter of style s in this case.

4. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Holmes fought injured too. Let's not forget.

5. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    I actually don't agree that Holmes did much better than Ali did in the rubber. I had Holmes just shading the fight with Norton and Norton just shading Ali in their rubber, but Norton was probably better in the rubber against Ali than he was against Holmes, and Holmes was in his prime while Ali was way past his.

Entaowed and timmers612 like this.
  6. Bokaj

Jan 4, 2008
    Ali had similar excuses for the first and second fight.

7. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Larry`s jab was far quicker than Ali`s in those respective bouts.

8. timmers612

timmers612 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Say what? Ali didn't have an excuse in the first fight, a broken jaw would and should cause most fights to be stopped and it speaks to his courage as a fighter to have lasted the route and the second though close was for me watching it live a clear Ali win. Excuses weren't needed for either fight.

9. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    You can make a case Norton won both of those fights.
    As far as the question I would say Larry Holmes hit Ken Norton with more clean punches and harder punches than Ali did he did in any fights. At the same time Norton got more shots in cause they went toe to toe more

10. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    So yes Holmes gave Kenny more trouble. He wasnt able to nullify Larry's jab like he did Ali's.

11. Bokaj

Jan 4, 2008
    No, his excuse was a sprained ankle before the fight. And a cold as well, I think.

12. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    no.

just a tough style match for Norton. And vice versa as far as that goes. Holmes does mot absorb body punishment to anywhere near the degree Muhammad Ali does. The result is that Kenny's attack will slow down the mobility of Larry. Then, it turns into a back and forth fight. If Holmes had a left hook, the Norton effectiveness would be reduced a ton.

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  13. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Holmes' jab was both more accurate and heavier than Ali's was in any of the latter's Norton fights. And that was even considering Larry had a torn left bicep! Larry's hands were also overall quicker.

The Larry Holmes who beat Shavers I and Norton was still a bit of an Ali-disciple...and by that I mean a disciple of the mid-60s, supernaturally great Ali. Though he wasn't quite on that level (nobody was or is) he fought not unlike that guy, but with the aforementioned heavier jab (Larry's jab was more accurate than the 70s, not the 60s Ali). On the downside, Larry also had a lesser left hook and slower feet than the 60s Ali.

Entaowed and Titan1 like this.
  14. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    That means Holmes wasn`t being as defensively responsible as Ali was v Norton also Norton landed mostly jabs against Ali, it was Futch`s plan to disrupt Ali`s focus by Norton jabbing with him, he didn`t try that taactic v Holmes, also Ali fought withn a broken jaw from Rd2 v Norton in their first clash.

15. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Yes Ali practised ballet to help his legs maintain stamina while moving so much over 15 rounds, he was taught not to bend too much as he pushed his foot into the canvas to push himself away from opponents with quite straight legs, this takes less zip out of the legs however Ali`s legs did tire in the Norton rematch which is when he started getting caught in that bout.