Did Liston really throw the 2nd Ali because he was afraid of the black muslims?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by MixedMartialLaw, Jul 7, 2021.

1. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Maybe early in 1966? other challengers were waiting. Muhammad Ali got stripped of his WBA title for giving Liston a rematch. Trilogies sometimes prevent great matches, kind of like watching reruns, you know already what might happen, never been a fan of these. Ali had in all of his contracts after the rematch with Liston, No Return Bout Clauses during his first title reign, 1964-1967. He said that if he had lost, he would retire.

2. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    It was fix and that’s just completely obvious. The reasons for the fix haven’t been revealed so here’s no way to know fs

3. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Either a troll (just love those 3 post new members) or a below average sixth grader at work here.

4. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    That is so true of your post, Muhammad Ali was a genuine phenomena, he had that footwork speed, stamina, confidence, sometimes too much as in the Sonny Banks fight in 1962 and June 1963. He used pro wrestler Gorgeous George's gimmick, also poetry to play with an opponents head, living there. He was incredibly fast in his peak years.

swagdelfadeel and Stevie G like this.
  5. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    Stop talking crap. Liston was not intimidated one bit, he simply took a dive.

6. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    A true one off.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  7. sweetsci

sweetsci Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 22, 2008
    My first wish is that the people involved should have let fight 2 play out. Walcott & any commissioner should have said, "Whether he was down 10 seconds or not was irrelevant, Mr. Fleischer. Liston did not get a count from the referee. The fight continues."

My compromise wish is that fight 2 is declared "no contest" and they meet again sooner than later.

Glass City Cobra likes this.
  8. Moggy94

Moggy94 Active Member Full Member

Mar 25, 2021
    I've read some quote where Liston claims he just didn't want to be involved due to the Black Muslims and I read a YouTube comment (So take it with a pinch of salt) Where a guy who claims he arrested Liston for assault told him personally that the Muslims scared him out of the fight. Personally I just think Liston didn't really want it as Ali was just too good, he had distractions outside the ring and just thought "Oh well I'm still getting paid"

9. ecto55

ecto55 דמוקרטיזציה של השממות האיסלאמיות כעת banned Full Member

May 28, 2009
    For what its worth...people were still scared of Ali's connections with the NOI into the eighties. Take Harold Smith for one example, he was checking his car for bombs and was worried about being gunned down for years because he'd defrauded banks using Ali's name and not provided Ali his cut from promotions. God only knows how many deaths Louis Farrakhan has ordered, and he's still free and pulling political strings today, but hey, I've seen Goodfella's and the Godfather so you know, the mafia and all that?!

Looks like Classic is ready for a peak Mafia vs absolute peak Yakuza thread.

10. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Michael Franzese, a bona Fide ex mafia captain, has said several times (on video) that absolutely Liston took a dive. And Franzese and his father Sonny were involved in boxing through partial ownership of many boxers management teams.